Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    That's great news! I was going to pass because I felt like I was being rushed into a decision, but now I'm more likely to pick up at least one license now, possibly two. Thanks for posting that info.

G.
    +1
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Just got an email back from Gerard. He says its a free upgrade from all previous users so I can download it free. He says they're are just a couple changes from previous versions but important ones. One, its 3 to 8 times faster then older version and also now most parameters are animatable.
    That's fantastic! After hearing all the great news, I will certainly buy a license for my main workstation now. I will also like to update my old student license and put it on my laptop for R&D usage. (Assuming I can still find the license key for it.)

G.

AWESOME. This is great news!
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

yup, purchase links went straight to the spam folder/box.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Geo...it appears the nodelocked and floating are the same price, I had the option to install either but chose the nodelocked because I just have one computer.

I got the email this morning and didn't have much time to test before work. The little I tested though was impressive. I ran one of the example simulations that came with the download and created a .mdd, removed the plugin and reloaded the .mdd on the base mesh and it worked fine. Tried to transfer it over to Modo as a .MDD and had some problems, but I think I accidently overwrote part of the mdd in the process. Gonna try it again later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Would be nice if enough people in the LW community supported Syflex so that they continued developing it for LW.
    Yeah, people are always asking whether there would be enough interest to see something in LightWave, and in many cases it's really a question of if there would be enough interest from LightWave users.

*edit*

Excuse my licensing ignorance, but is there any disadvantage to getting a floating license and using it on the one system, as opposed to a node locked one?
    Last edited by Oedo 808; 03-31-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Usually floating licenses cost more because you're paying for the extra convenience. If the node and floating cost the same then I see no reason why not to get floating. Is the floating license flexlm or a portable license file like Modo and LightWave?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Looked to me from the text file that came with the app that to install the floating license you'd have to install some kind of license server.

Here's a real quick test I did using the example files. I subdivided the polygons on the torus a couple times. I had to reapply the plugin, syflex didn't like it when I just replaced the object. In the plugin added gravity, collision on the steps, a plane collision on the ground null, and self collision. Took awhile for the plugin to load with all the polygons but the simulation was still pretty darn quick. Rendered it in Octane with a Octane procedural on the steps

The interface is bare bones in a good way, even a hack like me could figure it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	121103
    Last edited by jhinrichs; 03-31-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. Dare I ask - any animation test(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by jhinrichs View Post
    Looked to me from the text file that came with the app that to install the floating license you'd have to install some kind of license server.

Here's a real quick test I did using the example files. I subdivided the polygons on the torus a couple times. I had to reapply the plugin, syflex didn't like it when I just replaced the object. In the plugin added gravity, collision on the steps, a plane collision on the ground null, and self collision. Took awhile for the plugin to load with all the polygons but the simulation was still pretty darn quick. Rendered it in Octane with a Octane procedural on the steps

The interface is bare bones in a good way, even a hack like me could figure it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	121103
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Here's a animation of that same scene.

http://youtu.be/g-C_hpfOhyk

I forgot to save the previous scene so I recreated it quick. Only thing different is I added a little friction to the stairs.

Syflex seems pretty solid. I did run into some issues when I was subdividing the torus. Syflex didn't like it when I used Metaform subdivision on the torus, but was fine when I used Smooth subdivision with 179 degree smoothing angle. I would think the mesh would be basically identical using either approach, but I guess not.

I did the motion blur in After Effects. The web site says motion blur is supported if you cache the simulation when rendering, but I'm still not clear how to get motion blur to work with the latest version of Octane.

The cache for this little animation was about 50 meg.

This is fantastic news for Lightwave. Very encouraged to invest following this thread. As Greenlaw says, much better not to be rushed into a deal.

Could some kind soul comment on the quality of the manual? Or point Syflex beginners in the direction of a clothing tutorial? Or... would someone be doubly kind enough to make one?
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation and modelling WIP Croman
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Wow, this is excellent, especially since you made it sound like it wasn't much effort. Then again, your "not much" might be my Titanic.

Thanks so much! This helped.

Quote Originally Posted by jhinrichs View Post
    Here's a animation of that same scene.

http://youtu.be/g-C_hpfOhyk

I forgot to save the previous scene so I recreated it quick. Only thing different is I added a little friction to the stairs.

Syflex seems pretty solid. I did run into some issues when I was subdividing the torus. Syflex didn't like it when I used Metaform subdivision on the torus, but was fine when I used Smooth subdivision with 179 degree smoothing angle. I would think the mesh would be basically identical using either approach, but I guess not.

I did the motion blur in After Effects. The web site says motion blur is supported if you cache the simulation when rendering, but I'm still not clear how to get motion blur to work with the latest version of Octane.

The cache for this little animation was about 50 meg.

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    Could some kind soul comment on the quality of the manual? Or point Syflex beginners in the direction of a clothing tutorial? Or... would someone be doubly kind enough to make one?
    there is this old one >

followed by >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGBxdN5mNg
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

had a look at some Syflex examples, then made a Syflex preview >

Last edited by erikals; 03-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Syflex Cache, not sure if this could be of use... >
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....l=1#post505999

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast