Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

I've bought in, but not received anything yet, I'll report back when I get it.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

I will so appreciate it. If you can do it before end of business tomorrow or thereabouts, it would really help me. I will base a lot on what I'm hearing and seeing in this forum and by using Google. So far it looks like it's a solid solution for SoftImage and Maya...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Hi Guys

I just got an e-mail back from Gerard from Syflex so I just wanted to post the information they sent me regarding syflex for those that are worried about the price deadline.

Here is a summary of what he said:

Syflex is essentially an animation plugin. It works as a "deformer."
    It shares some similarities with clothFX, of course, but it is much faster and more stable. You don't need to precompute the animation: just press the play button.
    We released it in February, and after a few weeks of beta testing, it is now an official release.
    We are working on a video that will show what it can do
    If you only use one computer, you should get a nodelock license. It's easier to install.
    In a studio, with many artists, a floating license allows to use the plugin on any computer in the company, but only a specified amount of seats at the same time.
    We are going to extend the pricing for a few weeks.
    We plan to put more info on our website, especially the whole documentation, so artists can better understand how it works.

Hope this helps everyone with their decision on getting syflex and especially the pressure of the deadline ending soon. We are going to have a few more weeks from the sounds of it

Thanks
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

I just received a response from Gerard:

Aloha,

I understand you are having a sale for the LW plugin until the end of the month.
    I’m considering taking advantage of this sale but I have some questions.
    We've decided to extend the special sale for another month, as many artists said they needed more time.

Will the plugin work with LW 11.6.1? Our plugin works with LW 11.6.1.
    Is there documentation for the LW plugin?
    Can I read it so I can understand how to use it before purchasing? (I’m concerned about SYFLEX nails/pins in LW).
    There is documentation, and a small tutorial. See attached. doc.zip

Can the simulation be captured by MDD for use in rendering in another program like MODO?
    If not, what kind of cache is it? Can your cache be read by MODO?
    The cache file cannot be read in another software, but it's pretty simple format: just the position and speed of each vertex of the cloth.
    You are right: it could be a good idea to create a free cache reader for other softwares.

Under features, it says it comes with an SDK that allows the creation of new forces and constraints.
    Does the LW plugin come with an SDK that can be used for this?
    This version of Syflex for Lightwave doesn't have yet an SDK to create new forces, but we plan to do this soon, depending on user input.

I have a laptop & desktop PC. It’s not a deal breaker for me if I can’t use it on both.
    But if I replace my PC, do I have to purchase another license.
    We try to always help our customers. This means that if your computer crashes and you need to replace it, then we will give you a new license (free.) Of course, we won't give you a new license every month.

Finally, do you mind if I post your responses on the LW forum?
    Yes, of course, you can put this answers on LW forums, including the docs. Maybe we should put them on our website. We'll do this this week.

Greg Malick
    Kaneohe, HI

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

That's great news! I was going to pass because I felt like I was being rushed into a decision, but now I'm more likely to pick up at least one license now, possibly two. Thanks for posting that info.

G.

Bullet soft bodies (Pinning) is quite limited in LW, I really want to give this a try. Plus it's syflex for $200, awesome!

I wanna do some cool stuff with hair guides and cloth n stuff. . .but in lightwave
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I'm glad they're extending this because I think I'm like a lot of others who are just learning about this now.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Agreed. Very good news, and thanks to Greg for the extension. We're still recovering from the End-of-Year buying frenzy and getting approval from the CFO (SO) would be difficult at this time. I'm gonna get it., though.

One item that may be beneficial for Greg to update is that the Gallery, Features and FAQ pages (possibly others) list Maya, XSI and Houdini, but no mention of LightWave. Now that there is renewed support of LightWave, and considering the unfortunate demise of Softimage, It may be a good idea to update all of the pages to get more search hits.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

That's good news.
    Still not clear on the pricing of the node locked and floating. Are they the same price?
    I dont see a reason to buy node locked when floating(non-concurrent) is offered.

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Hi Guys

I just got an e-mail back from Gerard from Syflex so I just wanted to post the information they sent me regarding Syflex for those that are worried about the price deadline.

Here is a summary of what he said:

Syflex is essentially an animation plugin. It works as a "deformer."
    It shares some similarities with ClothFX, of course, but it is much faster and more stable.
    You don't need to pre-compute the animation: just press the play button.
    We released it in February, and after a few weeks of beta testing, it is now an official release.
    We are working on a video that will show what it can do
    If you only use one computer, you should get a nodelock license. It's easier to install.
    In a studio, with many artists, a floating license allows to use the plugin on any computer in the company, but only a specified amount of seats at the same time.
    We are going to extend the pricing for a few weeks.
    We plan to put more info on our website, especially the whole documentation, so artists can better understand how it works.
    Thanks Jason
    Thanks Greg

this is great news...!!

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    Check your spam folder. Something is wrong.

We got the emails with the download links within 4 seconds of placing the orders.

Just got an email back from Gerard. He says its a free upgrade from all previous users so I can download it free. He says they're are just a couple changes from previous versions but important ones. One, its 3 to 8 times faster then older version and also now most parameters are animatable.

happy to see there is more and more Lightwavers who are getting Syflex: as said before, the more we will be, the more the product will be followed by devellopers.
    About the mail confirmation after registering, it was very fast for me too: Ernest is probably right about Spams
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

I sent the Syflex discount to the LightWave facebook page so hopefully they'll post it. Would be nice if enough people in the LW community supported Syflex so that they continued developing it for LW.

good idea because this is an astounding extension
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast