Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

i've installed the nodelock version and it works well but sorry, didn't try the float licence...
    For the power, my workstation is an intel 2600K @ 4.5gHz and Syflex is working like a charm with this: i gather with 2x~3x less power, it will be totally usuable in realtime for medium polys simulations.
    After playing this afternoon with Syflex, i can confirm my first impression, even if there is sometimes some crashes but i've to learn deeper... hope they will follow updates and bug corrections.
    one thing is sure, it is the right complement for bullets but they are not totally comparable, as Syflex has of course all to do real clothes ( nails etc )...
    Speed is really fast and experimenting real-time tweaking for clothes/SB is now a reality, no more a dream
    Last edited by vipvip242; 03-30-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

Too bad it's windows only...

Quote Originally Posted by vipvip242 View Post
    Hi,
    thanks for this post and infos.
    After hesitating (some minutes ), i've registered my copy of Syflex, and i've just one thing to tell: it is wonderfull: extremely fast, powerfull and simple to use... I would never imagine it would be so great !
    i now have to learn more about but it is on my opinion a must have, at this price (150 euros in europe after conversion )...
    Just one thing: be aware to install in in the SUUPORT/PLUGIN folder, otherwise it won't work .
    Cheers
    It says you can save the cache - but how can that be used elsewhere?
    Can the cloth movement be captured with MDD?
    If not how can that movement be brought into another program for rendering?

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

Quote Originally Posted by GregMalick View Post
    Can the cloth movement be captured with MDD?
    yes there is a cache option, i didn't try yet the MDD saving but it should work as the plugin is a fully integrated displacement plugin ( for example i saved a transformed LWO and the object was saved with syflex transformations )
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Thanks for the info! A couple of questions: Did you get the Float or Node Locked license? How does the Float system work? Can it work with a mobile computer? Is there any allowance for moving the node locked license?

Ugh...I wish I had known about this a month or so ago. At $200 I'm tempted to purchase now and ask questions later but I may have to back off because I've been putting aside money for certain deals I'm anticipating at NAB next week.

One day left in the sale. Will have to think about this and decide tonight. (I'm such a software junkie.)

G.
    I would just email Gerard at Syflex - he responded to my query from last night so I would bet you'll get your answer quick.

gerard@syflex.biz

Glad I checked the forums today. Thanks for posting about this offer, just sent my order in.

I tested Marvelous Designer 2.0 a couple months before 3.0 came out and liked it, then 3.0 came out...still without quad support...and a ridiculous subscription model. Even the standalone is too expensive for how rarely I need cloth simulation. 200 bucks for Syflex seems just about right for my budget.

I would be curious about their long term Lightwave support though. I'd be annoyed now that I dropped 200 bucks and it's not supported in Lightwave 12, etc.

I bought the edu version of Syflex back in 2007 and it was $220 which amusingly is more then it is now. I used it some in LW 10 but haven't used it since. It doesn't seem to work in 11.6, I just dropped Gerard a email about asking about a possible upgrade to the latest version for 11.6.

This looks very tempting. Hmmmm....
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Syflex was the last time i used it very good. However LW is evolving and i wonder how much support they will give LW now and in the future. Not sure the price is worth it to me.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

Gerard said they were having this sale to get more studios interested in Syflex using it with Lightwave. And since it now works with LW11.6, I would say this sale is VERY MUCH worth it. Syflex came with XSI, so with the demixe of XSI perhaps they are thinking to expand and since LW is looking up... maybe they see this as a way to expand their business. Seeing what Syflex can do - and better and easier than ClothFX - if I hadn't bought it at the regular price I would definitely be buying it at this steal. I would like to see how much more functionality this version has than the previous version. There were quite a few things that the Maya version of Syflex had that were not included in the LW version since the Syflex guys weren't happy with the Maya implementation and wanted to re-think quite a few things. We shall see.

It doesnt say up to march on their website or any sale happening. What will be the normal price?

Ah I see it
    http://www.syflex.biz/buy.html
    Last edited by geo_n; 03-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.

We have one day. Would someone tell me if this is comparative to Marv. Designer or how it compares to ClothFx? This price is something for me and I can barely afford it, so I appreciate your candor.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

I emailed the syflex guys last fall asking if they could update SyFlex to work in LW 11 and they responded fairly quick asking why more people in the LW community don't use it. I replied that its 1. too expensive and 2. most people don't know about it.
    So now you are seeing this deal, so support them by picking up a copy and they will support you
    DJ Lithium
    Support "Stasys"!
    [URL="http://www.stasys.tv"]http://www.stasys.tv[/URL]
    [url]www.battlestarvfx.com[/url]
    Black Tiger Recordings
    [url]http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com[/url]
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    [URL="http://www.liberty3d.com"]www.liberty3d.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium View Post
    I emailed the syflex guys last fall asking if they could update SyFlex to work in LW 11 and they responded fairly quick asking why more people in the LW community don't use it. I replied that its 1. too expensive and 2. most people don't know about it.
    So now you are seeing this deal, so support them by picking up a copy and they will support you
    I agree.

While we knew about it - it's been integrated with XSI for a long time, the cost was VERY high. We only got it when we were swimming in money - pre-recession.

Gerard was VERY responsive with questions and I think this would be a great addition for Lightwave users. While some will see this $200 as relatively high - and for some it's not cheap - for what it does it is a great price. The more who buy it I think the better they will respond to feature requests from LW users.

Thanks guys. I see value as long as this actually works..I am basically ignorant about its use and value.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast