Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

They say
    Lightwave promotion:
    Nodelock license: $US 200 per seat until March 2014.windows only.

I googled about syflex for Lightwave. But have not much and not the latest information.

Well, I've rarely used it, but when I did it worked just fine. And when I bought it the cost was over $1700 on sale. $200 is a steal. Although I don't know if they are continuing to develop it since apparently there weren't too many LW people interested enough to buy it at the regular price of $2200.

Are they still developing Syflex for LightWave? If so, I'll check it out.

I bought a student license many years ago for about $250. It worked very well at the time when I was R&D-ing it for a project but it seemed like there was some limitation that sent me back to using ClothFX for production work (besides the high cost for the pro license, and the copy I owned being a non-commercial license I mean.) It was definitely faster than ClothFX but something about it made it less practical for many of the situations I faced on the job--sorry, I don't remember the details. Keep in mind, that was a very long time ago though--I don't even know if will work for LightWave 11.6.2.

I do remember that the license system was a little annoying--I had to keep reactivating it every time I wanted to run a test because it wouldn't remember the activation from a previous session. Very weird. Hopefully they changed or fixed that.

I did take an interest in Marvelous Designer for a while. This worked much better in my tests, except that you had to model all the 'cloth' material within the program. That was fine with me at my home studio but not as practical at my workplace.

I haven't done much cloth sim stuff lately except for animating hair guides using Bullet. Bullet cloth works great for long hair animations which I've used for a couple of projects in the past year. For fabric animations, I've used Bullet only for a few simple tests and it seems to work well--I haven't had a chance to prove it in production yet though. I'll probably use it for cloth on our next film after we finish our current film project.

G.

I also had the student version and haven't used it for some time. I would also like to know if they've seen improvements. $200 is a great price though, I think that's what I paid for my student license.

Just looked at the website--I see that it's now x64 bit and LW 11.6 compatible. Hmm...$200 is very tempting. I wish it wasn't still node locked though as I need to be able to move tools between my home workstation and laptop.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Just looked at the website--I see that it's now x64 bit and LW 11.6 compatible. Hmm...$200 is very tempting. I wish it wasn't still node locked though as I need to be able to move tools between my home workstation and laptop.

G.
    It says "choose between a nodelock or floating license."

I wonder what they'll charge me to upgrade?

There's a contradiction on their site...on the Home page it says you can choose but if you click on the on the 'Order' page button it specifically states LightWave promotion: node-locked license. Either way, thought, it doesn't allow me to move the license between a workstation and a mobile computer.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    There's a contradiction on their site...on the Home page it says you can choose but if you click on the on the 'Order' page button it specifically states LightWave promotion: node-locked license. Either way, thought, it doesn't allow me to move the license between a workstation and a mobile computer.

G.
    I'd hold them to their world on their site - it does say CHOOSE - and with no difference in price. Since this is such a HUGE price reduction, I don't see why they'd give you any grief. I've already emailed them to see if I have to pay for the upgrade to 1.3. I'm hoping it's a free upgrade considering what I paid originally.

well, it's realtime feature could be nice...

here, realtime muscles in SoftImage >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Does anyone know if Syflex would be better than just using Bullet - soft body dynamics? Can you do the same with bullet as you can do with syflex or is Syflex more advanced?

Also I just wrote a letter to Syflex asking them some questions. For example why they don't have any information, a demo, video etc regarding Syflex for lightwave. It's a fantastic promotion but the lack of information and horrible marketing makes it really hard for us lightwavers to decide whether to buy it or not. I also asked about the node locked vs floating. I will keep you posted with what I hear back

Thanks
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Syflex is actually more limited than Bullet to my knowledge,

but syflex is faster. not sure how much more faster it is these days...

as for the final look / behavior, i think Syflex can work better at times for thin cloth.

says here Syflex does indeed support self-collision, though not sure how good / accurate...
    http://www.syflex.biz/features.html

for limits like this, it might be better to use Bullet >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_QLP08PNQo

another interesting test >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3vZxj_xLw
    as you can see, nCloth is more realistic, while Syflex eliminates Jitter...

Syflex vs nCloth, might be a good read (note... from 2007..! )
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=560337

Syflex vs nCloth (2012...)
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=968862

Syflex is more realistic than Bullet, which tends to look rubbery
    ClothFX can actually produce realistic cloth, but a huge problem is the lack of self-collision and the jitter problem, so this unfortunatly leaves ClothFX out of the game in most cases...
    Last edited by erikals; 03-30-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Marvelous Designer should be considered as well >

two things to note about MD though >
    - it can jitter, usually it doesn't, but be aware...
    - it's not a plugin, so you have to jump back and forth between LW and MD...
    - making external objects interact with the cloth can be tricky
    - a nice thing is that it also makes it easy to create cloth...
    - another minus is that the cloth mesh resolution cannot be changed

- yet another minus... the price for MD went up... :/

soo.... maybe $200 for Syflex ain't that bad after all...
    Last edited by erikals; 03-30-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Hi,
    thanks for this post and infos.
    After hesitating (some minutes ), i've registered my copy of Syflex, and i've just one thing to tell: it is wonderfull: extremely fast, powerfull and simple to use... I would never imagine it would be so great !
    i now have to learn more about but it is on my opinion a must have, at this price (150 euros in europe after conversion )...
    Just one thing: be aware to install in in the SUUPORT/PLUGIN folder, otherwise it won't work .
    Cheers
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

I got Syflex. hmm,I need to cut down on drinking next month.
    Anyway I'm testing ,good for now.But it seems not to work for subpatch cloth object.
    I need to freeze it.

Quote Originally Posted by vipvip242 View Post
    After hesitating (some minutes ), i've registered my copy of Syflex, and i've just one thing to tell: it is wonderfull: extremely fast, powerfull and simple to use... I would never imagine it would be so great !
    Thanks for the info! A couple of questions: Did you get the Float or Node Locked license? How does the Float system work? Can it work with a mobile computer? Is there any allowance for moving the node locked license?

Ugh...I wish I had known about this a month or so ago. At $200 I'm tempted to purchase now and ask questions later but I may have to back off because I've been putting aside money for certain deals I'm anticipating at NAB next week.

One day left in the sale. Will have to think about this and decide tonight. (I'm such a software junkie.)

G.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast