Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    :askance: I think the "Connect Tool" needs a better name then.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Its connect in other app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

various Connect things: implications?

meh. I remember when it came out, the same discussion. I still think it's bad nomenclature.

++
    Non-loop behaviour of Connect:
    There's an interesting thing (PIC) when you select an L-shaped set of polys on a standard Sphere: the poly (quad in this case) NEXT to the selection gets changed to a 6 point psuedo-quad, and a new quad polygon is generated.

I expected it just to be one poly with a LOT of edge points, but it appears that each invocation of Connect generates a new quad coincident with the previous.

Note this is NOT an Edge Loop issue: this is when a subset of a loop is Selected.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connectBad.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	120188

ALSO: on the second invocation of Connect in an l-shaped selection of polys, the non-selected Terminal polys get their normals borked (see pic) PLUS they get selected (!!!)-- this last is a surprise.

I don't know if it has any implications, but there it is. In the pic, the two end polys were originally NOT selected.

Name:	nonLoop.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	120189

Press 't' key then 'e' key will use edge extend for polygon or edge extrusion depending on selection and is handy and not so obvious at the start for newbies, BUT there is more...........

Do you prefer a gizmo type tool to transform your edge extends or extrusions?

Press 't' key then 'e' and then 'alt -t' in sequence to bring up the gizmo transform. Use the right mouse button for selection center or normal alignment by right clicking on a polygon face or edge.

This also works with the bevel tool. Press 'b' to bevel, right click in the viewport and then 'alt t' to bevel using the gizmo for interactive control, remember to right click again to select the selection center or normal alignments.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 02-16-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

This is mainly for newbies but is handy to know. One of the criticisms about Modeler is many tools do similar things and the UI should be streamlined and optimised to get rid of this overlap of functions.

However, I kinda disagree in a way as my three pronged attack for modelling utilises 3 tools that do very similar things but speed up the process.

'Edit edges' is good for adding individual edge loops on the fly with an interactive edge slide function, individual edge slide or delete loops feature and can be used accurately with the numeric panel if needed.

'Band Saw Pro' is good for selected polygon loops where you might need multiple cuts with accurate values with a multitude of evenly spaced or very specific loops but it has a downside as it can only do one polygon loop at a time.

The 'Cut' tool is great and a vital part of the toolset. Many times I will need pretty sharp edges and want edge loop values at 10% and 90% on either end of the polygon strip. The best thing about lightwave is my config will save the values I have stored for this tool no matter how many times I restart the application. But the best part of this tool is that it will slice a multiple of selected loops even on different areas of the model at the SAME time together. As long as you have selected two adjacent polygons and then pressed the right arrow key to select the loop, you can select as many loops as you want and hey presto, cut and tighten up a model very quickly.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

If you like the 'Tweak' tool but find the cage overlay when tweaking in Sub-D mode a bit too busy and cluttered , change the render mode in the numeric panel to 'Normal' and it is much more fun to use. You can also get a quick preview highlight as you hover over a polygon face or use it in quad viewport and the control points are still clearly visible to click on and move. The control points still act with a constraint if used in the quadview port and with the 'ctrl' key held.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Modelling Tip:

Want to create edge loops faster than anything on earth?

1) Select a few polys going in the direction you want

2) Press the right arrow key to select the loop

3) Press the 'L' key (Connect tool) - adds an edge loop

4) Keep pressing 'L' for more edge loops

Boom! Done!

Attachment 120183
    Nice...I didn't know you can select a loop with the arrow key!!!

Also if you click the up & down keys you can select the next loop...awesome!

Option + arrow keys will move the selected loop up/down or left/right...more awesomeness!

Hey Matt, can you expand a selected loop..1 loop at a time?

I have a loop selected and press shift + up arrow key to select the next loop up, but the viewport moves instead

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Modelling Tip:

Want to create edge loops faster than anything on earth?

1) Select a few polys going in the direction you want

2) Press the right arrow key to select the loop

3) Press the 'L' key (Connect tool) - adds an edge loop

4) Keep pressing 'L' for more edge loops

Boom! Done!
    Hey Matt, can I ask if anything was augmented to allow this? I've been using it recently, but was sure trying a second Connect always used to go apeshit.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Hey Matt, can I ask if anything was augmented to allow this? I've been using it recently, but was sure trying a second Connect always used to go apeshit.
    Oedo: see post #63: one issue is if a LOOP is not selected, at least one six-point poly will be generated, which may affect subd modelers. This doesn't happen if a complete loop is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Oedo: see post #63: one issue is if a LOOP is not selected, at least one six-point poly will be generated, which may affect subd modelers. This doesn't happen if a complete loop is selected.
    Thanks, not sure I've used it on SubDs, usually use Cut with Terminate Cuts for those. I saw I had 9.6 installed and it doesn't work in that, I think I even tried doing it in 10 and it didn't work, but I could be mistaken.

I wonder if it is by design or a by product of cleaning up the code, if it's the former, which seems likely, it's very good to see such things being taken into consideration.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeah: Matt's tip is really excellent for fast, evenly spaced edgeloops. Looks like the hotkey got assigned away on my installation, but as depicted can't get faster.

If you're using Spline Control and want easy manipulation of node placements or just want to move items around, get in the habit of using the Move Path tool instead of the Move tool. The Move Path tool doesn't require you to add/remove keyframes and works anywhere on the timeline (i.e., you don't have to create a keyframe at frame 0 after every tweak if you're working around frame 300), speeding up workflow considerably! Would be nice to see a similar tool for scale and rotation (please!)

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    Nice...I didn't know you can select a loop with the arrow key!!!

Also if you click the up & down keys you can select the next loop...awesome!

Option + arrow keys will move the selected loop up/down or left/right...more awesomeness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    Hey Matt, can you expand a selected loop..1 loop at a time?

I have a loop selected and press shift + up arrow key to select the next loop up, but the viewport moves instead
    And if you have AHK installed (AutoHotKey) you can overide any shortcut, thus allowing you to map CTRL (or SHIFT) plus Mousewheel to say this configuration:

Name:	AHK_CHeatSheet.jpg 
Views:	980 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	120226

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Mmmm..that's PC only..I did find KeyRemap4MacBook...but haven't installed it yet

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast