Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I almost always find USEFUL techniques when watching videos, techniques which are NOT the actual point of the video.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Im not sure how many people make use of it but if you hit 'i' in modeler it will bring up the ino panel where you can get the coordinate values for the X,Y, and Z of a vertex or group of vertices and copy them. Useful when you want to line up geometry on the same axis coordinate by using the set value command. 'v' for set value, paste your coordinates in dialog window and hit ok..
    I do this quite a lot actually.

I bind Bridge to left-mouse menu then have Deselect All to right-mouse menu. It makes for super fast filling of holes.

Tip for the newcomers?
    Drag and drop objects, images, surfaces .srf, presets etc... from your windows explorer into lw.
    Select multiple images at once and drag them into your images editor.
    Save previews along with your surface .srf files and drag the choosen .srf file into the surface editor.
    Love this workflow. Mutch better than the surface presets window in LW because you cannot use a custom image render instead of the sphere.
    I like to have a decent surface preview so i work this way. Having a dual monitor setup is very nice :P
    -------------------------------------
    Joined the Rebellion

This should really be a sticky thread. Any Admins around
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

1001 tips and tricks. Loved that book. Volume Select - great one!

OK here is one. And I am not sure if it qualifies or not. But it came up in a recent thread. So here goes:

The "Unruly" Bend tool giving you a head ache?

Open up the display panel (d) and under Units/ Snapping set it to Fixed and based on the scale of your object give it a number like 1M.

Now it will snap to the axis you are bending. Ctrl of course gives you 5 percent increments. Now it is much easier to control this tool.

And a subset to this:

Also works with the Create tools. In case you want to automatically drag out primitives to grid increments.

And another one:

Hard to tell which of these are news to people. But most of the basic modify tools are really only 3 tools with different types of fall offs.... yes but....

Ever want to just simply click and drag on an object and move it around when you have a whole bunch of objects? For example a whole mess of individual cubes or spheres or anything you wan to position around easily without selecting.

Open up the N panel on any of the move/drag tools. Set it to point radial and make it fixed then put in a huge number based on your scale like 100M and now click on the point of an object and drag the whole thing around.

Easy now to just simply click and drag on anything in the layer and move it around. Very handy.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 12-15-2013 at 08:42 AM.

I'm really glad people are finding this thread fun! Chris's suggestion on how to "mute" channels was particularly interesting. Anyhow, I whipped up another short video...

Although there are a few 3rd party tools that can do this same thing even faster (IE: TA-Tools), the native way to get 1-sided endomorphs isn't so bad if you know about copy vertex map and its hidden functions.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I almost always find USEFUL techniques when watching videos, techniques which are NOT the actual point of the video.
    This is so true. Just recently I was watching some of the TA-Tools demos, and they demonstrated some really nifty usages of falloffs with rotate/move tools like mentioned in this thread. It makes manipulating "organic" geometry so much easier.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 12-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave
    IKB manual

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Xchrisx's tip is the kind of thing I'd like to see added to an official online manual. Then it would actually be FINDABLE by folks who don't live on the forum.

Surrealist's tip about moving is one I always forget-- if it were FASTER to change the falloff setting (could it be lscripted???) I'd use that trick a lot more.

Some of the tools that LIMIT capabilities are the most useful: "MIRRORX" gets a >>LOT<< more use than just the (tempermental, IMO) MIRROR function. One needs a generalized flexible MIRROR tool, but in practice here, mirroring almost always occurs across the X axis at the Origin. A script that limited the Falloff options at the click of a button would REALLY make Falloff a more useful, accessible feature.

Here's a tip: Toggling MODELER'S backdrop can be mapped both to a button and to a hotkey.

Another tip: AUTOSIZE BACKDROP will conform to the geometry (currently visible??). I usually check the pixel dimensions of an image, make a flat box of the same dimension (in whatever units make sense, usually mm), and then use AUTOSIZE to get the correct ratio of the backdrop image size. Then I save the backdrop config.

What this means is, for a tightly cropped profile of an object, you can create a correctly sized backdrop and bounding box. Bazinga, baby!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Nice one, chazriker.

I found/find the concept of various mappings VERY confusing, although they're all ultimately logical-- but "ultimately" is the opposite of "apparent".

A breakout of the concepts of mapping (my best conceptualization is "a list of values related to specific vertices") and the implications of all that would maybe be useful to many beside myself.

Some of the functionality and usefulness of copying and clearing various mappings make perfect sense, but don't exactly leap out at the user. Or maybe it's just me.

BTW, chazriker, I think your voice is very well-suited to conveying information, well done.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 12-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Anyone remember the experimental functions in LW, i think it was ctrl,alt,shift,F1 or something like that. Not sure if its still in there.

Just checked its still there, not sure what it does now.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

chaz - that endomorph trick is just so cool!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Layout+VPR: Shift+click selects the Surface.

Great tips keep them coming! I have one, but I must credit Conjurebunny. I've assigned my Tab key to "G-Toggle Subpatch", so now I can subpatch the entire object no matter how many polys, edges or verts are selected on the object.
    Gary Chike

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

programmers must be slapped

Delete Keyframe Plus..... is what it SHOULD be called. But some knuckle head (seriously, WTF?)(W.T.F??) named it "TM-P Mot-ify Delete Motion..." and it scrolls off the right side of the Menu Editor. Practically guaranteeing any Search will fail.

Basically, it's Delete Keyframe on steroids.

Has its own hotkeys. Has frame zero and negative keyframe protection. Has range. Go look.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Delete Keyframe Plus.. is what it SHOULD be called. But some knuckle head (seriously, WTF?)(W.T.F??) named it "TM-P Mot-ify Delete Motion..." and it scrolls off the right side of the Menu Editor. Practically guaranteeing any Search will fail.
    I believe motify was originally a 3rd party plugin... though I'm just as bewildered as you are about the name of the function. So at some point the LW3DG must have bought it, and it has since become buried in the huge "additional" dropdown menu under "Utilities". It is definitely a handy replacement for the default delete key dialogue, though in future versions of Lightwave motify really should be retired and its functions transferred to the default delete key dialogue. My only gripe about Motify is that it doesn't remember your last-used keyframe settings between uses... aside from that, motify is superior to normal delete key in every way.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 12-15-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave
    IKB manual

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast