Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    That is awesome. Item selection by name.

Predictive text for item selection would be rad. And I hope a similar feature for Tool selection which uses more than just the tool's name because some of the tool names in Lightwave are not intuitive to their behavior so maybe there could be some search-keywords associated with Layout (and Modeler) Tool plugins to support predictive tool discovery.
    The problem with that from a UX standpoint, is what it should do when the tool's name is specified? Activate it? For quite a few LW tools that's the only (and terminal) action in the workflow, so you don't want that until everything's selected and configured. For others, it only begins the operation, and requires further configuration/adjustment actions, and then a separate action to actually take effect/finalize. Oh, and there's no easy or clear indication by name which tools behave which way either.

The reason stuff like this works in other systems is because their tools in such systems all have uniform action models, such that they can always be selected, then adjusted, then finalized. Since LW tools' activation conventions are all over the map, such a system won't work nearly as well in LW, at least without some major rework of (many) tools' behaviors.

It'd be very nice to have, if the workflow discrepancy issue could also be addressed. Without addressing the workflow issues, it'd be an unpredictable mess.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I've added this to list from memory, I did it ages ago, but it's a nice workflow to try and experiment.

Just a quicky. I did a test, created one concert/arena seat.

I used LWCAD vector clones to quickly create a point source for instancing.

Inside of layout, create a null. Positioned the null and when created instances told the instance generator to use the null as a look at target. All the seats aligned to point towards the null centre, multiple nulls can be used, but you could create banks or groups of instances each with a different look at target.

Have fun, no more painful placing and orientation for stadium or theatre seats using instances and a point source for generation.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-18-2017 at 05:48 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    I've added this to list from memory, I did it ages ago, but it's a nice workflow to try and experiment.

Just a quicky. I did a test, created one concert/arena seat.

I used LWCAD vector clones to quickly create a point source for instancing.

Inside of layout, create a null. Positioned the null and when created instances told the instance generator to use the null as a look at target. All the seats aligned to point towards the null centre, multiple nulls can be used, but you could create banks or groups of instances each with a different look at target.

Have fun, no more painful placing and orientation for stadium or theatre seats using instances and a point source for generation.
    Brilliant! Thanks.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    Brilliant! Thanks.
    Your very welcome.

The seats will align with heading and rotation if using look at, and there is also axis aligned feature too.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Nice > Slick > Luc . >Yah!

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Nice > Slick > Luc . >Yah!
    Cheers.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122