Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone upgraded to Anime Studio Pro 9.5?

I can't seem to tell the difference between Anime Studio 9 and 9.5 and there is an upgrade fee of $49 for a point release. Makes me glad Newtek has been so cool about their point releases.

Either way, has anyone upgraded to 9.5 pro and/or know the new .5 features they've added since 9? Most of the stuff on the features page seems to be in 9...?

http://anime.smithmicro.com/animestu...cdd461#pricing

Based on the videos they've been posting it appears they concentrated on improving rigging and bones for this release. TBH, I'm a little surprised that they are charging for this update since it is primarily improvements to existing features, not new features.

Sigh! I may have to update our two licenses though because we're using Anime Studio Pro for this year's Gothtober project. Will respond if I think the update it worth it.

G.

I've upgraded too, though it seems to be mostly UI stuff, coloured bones, layer inheritance and bits and pieces. I just hope it's a bit more stable, the previous version I couldn't use because of a few bugs.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

thanks Greenlaw- do post back with your thoughts if you get it.

Dodgy: what platform are you running it on? My win x64 v9 pro doesnt seem too bad unless I just didnt come across the bugs you mean yet...

Just wanted to say I've been using this in production the past few weeks and not had any problems - no bugs or crashes yet anyway (win7 pro x64). I didn't get round to trying v9 so I can't tell you whether there's any major differences, but I'm loving it. Superb bit of software for the price.
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Yes, Anime Studio Pro is pretty cool. Here at Little Green Dog, we've been using it on a new short film for a couple of weeks now. ASP is far more capable than I first thought. I was able to learn some really neat tricks by reverse engineering the rigs and animations from the content files, and also from just playing around with it. I can't wait to show what we've been doing with it. We need to have our short completed later next month for Gothtober--will let everybody know a few days before it comes out.

The only thing that still stumps me is the Styles system. Every time I try to use it, I get confused and I wind up setting all my style properties manually. I really need to figure the system out though because it's too time consuming to set properties manually on a project like this. The user manual isn't much help either. Fortunately, there are a lot of really good free tutorial videos on YouTube and a very active and helpful user community. (Kinda like here.)

I didn't use v9 for very long either so I'm not sure what the major differences are in 9.5, but 9.5 has so far been very smooth and stable for us.

G.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 09-26-2013 at 08:56 AM.

I installed version nine, had a quick play and then was alerted to the fact that there was a version 9.5 upgrade, watched the promo videos and was totally convinced that the upgrade was a big deal, with the smart bones and "deep descendant control" of multiple layers and groups. They were the main things for me but on top of that there are a bunch of work flow improvements. I'm only just a newbie on this program but I decided I wanted to be starting with the upgraded version, and the forum has many long time users saying they can now do things that were unthinkable in the previous versions.

Yes, I was just starting to learn too so I figured I may was well get our licenses upgraded to 9.5 and take advantage of any workflow improvements, even if I'm not completely aware of their significance. After two weeks of learning and using it in production, I don't regret upgrading--even with the upgrade cost added, ASP is pretty cheap after that incredible sale price.

Anyway, I just went through the Styles tutorial (2.7) again and it has finally clicked. I think because I really crammed my ASP training two weeks ago, my brain got too full to absorb this part of the workflow. (In the last couple of weeks at my 'day job', I've also been busy cramming AE, Mocha, and Turbulence FD, so 'ka-blooey!'.)

Thank goodness--understanding Styles is definitely going speed up my work on this latest Little Green Dog project. (Note: from what I can tell, brush style is the only doesn't carry over in a Style--everything else (line, fill, color, weight) seems to carry over fine though.)

I should take back a little of what I said about the manual. I still think parts of it is vague and incomplete but the tutorials are actually pretty decent--they at least give you enough knowledge to figure out how the advanced demo rigs and animations work.

G.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 09-26-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Clarification on Brushes and Styles: while a Brush preset doesn't appear to carry over in a Style, if you change a Style in a scene with a new Brush preset, all the shapes that have that style will inherit that brush. So, it kinda works--you just need remember which Brush preset to apply to the Style from scene to scene. I don't know if that's a bug but I can deal with that--it's still a lot easier than what I've been doing.

G.

Blog Entries
    It's kind of bs everyone bought 9 because of their sale like 2 months ago. Now they have this point upgrade.
    Call Up The Homies., It's About To Go Down.

Maybe. I guess it depends on how useful the program is to you.

After adding the upgrade cost, my final cost for 9.5 Pro is about $20 cheaper than buying the program at the recently reduced price of $199 at Smith-Micro's website, so the initial 'savings' isn't as dramatic as it was last May when the 9.0 Pro sold for about $130 at Amazon and the full price was $299. We purchased two licenses because of the sale, and we probably would not have bothered to buy even one copy at the time if it hadn't been on sale.

That said, I certainly don't regret my purchase. Having used the program for a couple of weeks now, I feel ASP 9.5 is an awesome program even if they had charged me the old full price. The short film we're working on now would not otherwise be possible for us to create, especially in the short schedule we have. So, in my case anyway, their 'sale' worked--it got me to give a program I once dismissed as a 'hobbyist' tool a second chance...and now I'm having a lot of fun using it.

G.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 09-26-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hey Greenlaw i don't recall but you where able to import face endomorphs from Anime Studio into lightwave right.
    Call Up The Homies., It's About To Go Down.

Do you mean Papagayo? Anime Studio doesn't have auto/assisted-lipsync tools but you can use the free Papagayo program (by the same author) and import the data to drive mouth shapes in Anime Studio. Dodgy (Mike Green) wrote a nifty plug-in that can import Papagayo data files for LightWave's Morphmixer. It's been a while since I tried it but I think it worked fine.

I decided to go back to Magpie Pro for 'B2' because Third Wish Software released a version that fixed the crashing problem we kept having during 'Happy Box'. We're using it for actual object morphing this time (mouth objects only) instead of textures. You can see it in action in the one-minute excerpt we posted a couple of months ago. We're not using the automated features in Magpie but the manual lipsync tools help us plow through a ton of lipsync very quickly. BTW, Magpie Pro works with both LightWave and Anime Studio Pro

One of the programs we experimented with when we thought we might use animated textures was CrazyTalk Pro. It was pretty interesting but not quite what we wanted. Also, it's difficult to manually tweak the lipsync in that program. I did a really weird test using a still picture of my daughter which you can see here. We might use it for something else in the future.

For our current project, I'll do the lipsync directly in Anime Studio because there are only two spoken lines and they're pretty short.

G.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 09-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Some tips:

Still mostly in 'drawing and painting mode' on this project but things are definitely speeding up since I've been learning all of Anime Studio's keyboard shortcuts. This is one of those programs, like Modeler, Modo, ZBrush or Headus UV Layout, where it's more practical to use the keyboard commands if you want to work quickly. To me, learning the key commands seems to be especially true in any program where I need to manipulate a lot of points very precisely. It's been tricky with Anime Studio though because I've discovered some of the 'essential' key commands from web forums and not the manual or the hint system. That said, pay close attention the hints that pop-up above the tool panels--sometimes it contains VERY important info up that I don't think appears in the manual.

Also, try not to get bogged down with the fancy bells and whistles of Anime Studio. The program has incredibly flexible options for getting an endless variety of 'looks', which is dangerously in the middle of a production. I think I just wasted a couple of days changing the style of the characters a hundred ways, only to return to the original clean ink-brush look of the comic strip. Oh, well.

I've gotten much more comfortable with the program today. Complaints about the manual aside, I re-read parts of it and a lot of it is making a lot more sense now. The Style system is working out well too--I think many of my issues before were due to 'user error' and inexperience with this workflow. I'm really liking this program more and more every day.

G.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 09-27-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Anime Studio 10 is out. Lots of major workflow improvements, as well as new bone constraints and new drawing tools like a 'Blob' brush, point eraser and point reducer brushes. One interesting new rigging feature allows smoother bends for rigged bitmap elements. Also, you can now open multiple documents and cut and paste between them!

Here are some videos to look at:

Anime Studio Promo Video

Anime Studio 10 Webinar

Crustacea.
    (Something really cool created using ASP 10 and Manga Studio 5 EX)

Alisa and I enjoyed using ASP 9.5 to create our short film 'Scareplane'. Most of the project went very smoothly once we got our heads around the workflow, but a few things that should have been simple were trickier than expected--version 10 appears to have addressed many of those issues. We just upgraded to 10 and we're looking forward to using it on a freelance gig we're starting in a couple of weeks.

G.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast