Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's Photoshop Got That I ain't Got?

At the risk of starting another b*tchfest, please satisfy my curiosity.

Discussions of alternatives to Photoshop usually include something like "X has 80 or 90 percent of the functionality of Photoshop at a tenth the price". This implies there are some things that ONLY Photoshop does.

So what are these magic somethings and how do they work for you?

What do you got for comparison?

Photoshop is standard image editor. Besides that many appz do what it can do except they're not standard. Not being standard sucks because companies that pay will pay for whats standard software for future proofing, security and peace of mind when doing projects.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    At the risk of starting another b*tchfest, please satisfy my curiosity.

Discussions of alternatives to Photoshop usually include something like "X has 80 or 90 percent of the functionality of Photoshop at a tenth the price". This implies there are some things that ONLY Photoshop does.

So what are these magic somethings and how do they work for you?
    Cant speak for everyone else but a combination of Gimp (Free) and Shadermap (Commercial but cheap), suit just about all my needs.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 7 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 11.5 & 11.6

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

JASC Paint Shop Pro 6.0. Made in 1999 and still use it today.

There isn't much that has changed between paint programs on a fundamental level having used Gimp, Photoshop, and Corel's later versions of paint shop (I prefer 6.0 over the stuff Corel put out after buying JASC software). Newer apps will obviously have some time saving tools here and there, better batch processing, or situation-specific workflows, but at its core they all do the same things and usually in very similar ways.

For independent work, any app is fine since no one cares what a person uses to get results. For employers as said above you'll usually be funneled into using mainstream apps (usually the most expensive ones).
    Last edited by chazriker; 08-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Two advantages Photoshop has are familiarity and plug-in compatibility. I'm learning Photoline, and I've found that it does have everything Photoshop has, and more. But there aren't many tutorials available for Photoline, and its programmers use different terminology for some of the features, so it's hard to translate Photoshop tuts to Photoline. For example, Photoline has both "masks" and "lassos". Masks are equivalent to Quick Mask in PS, and lassos are similar to selections, from what I can tell.

Also, I was following a Photoshop tutorial, and it called for using a plug-in that smooths out a black-and-white selection (OLM Smoother). However, the plug-in doesn't work in Photoline, even though it's an .8bf filter. There was a workaround, though, but using the plug-in would have been easier.

I have heard good things about Photoline but I am still using Photoshop V7...

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    JASC Paint Shop Pro 6.0. Made in 1999 and still use it today.

There isn't much that has changed between paint programs on a fundamental level having used Gimp, Photoshop, and Corel's later versions of paint shop (I prefer 6.0 over the stuff Corel put out after buying JASC software). Newer apps will obviously have some time saving tools here and there, better batch processing, or situation-specific workflows, but at its core they all do the same things and usually in very similar ways.
    Photoline's core masking and layer system is a huge improvement over what I have used before (aside from node based compositors). It is fundamentally different (in the best way), and has been a workflow changer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    For independent work, any app is fine since no one cares what a person uses to get results. For employers as said above you'll usually be funneled into using mainstream apps (usually the most expensive ones).
    True, true - as an independent freelancer no client cares about what software you used to get the job done. If they ask about whether I use Adobe, I just nod in a re-assuring way. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    Two advantages Photoshop has are familiarity and plug-in compatibility. I'm learning Photoline, and I've found that it does have everything Photoshop has, and more. But there aren't many tutorials available for Photoline, and its programmers use different terminology for some of the features, so it's hard to translate Photoshop tuts to Photoline. For example, Photoline has both "masks" and "lassos". Masks are equivalent to Quick Mask in PS, and lassos are similar to selections, from what I can tell.

Also, I was following a Photoshop tutorial, and it called for using a plug-in that smooths out a black-and-white selection (OLM Smoother). However, the plug-in doesn't work in Photoline, even though it's an .8bf filter. There was a workaround, though, but using the plug-in would have been easier.
    Yes, some of the terminology used in Photoline can be confusing at first. Levels-->Histogram Correction. Blend If-->Color Filter. Selection-->Lasso. The documentation is okay, and no books and hardly any tutorials online may drive people away. Undeservedly so, because its workflow is, in some respects, years ahead of Photoshop. But that does mean Photoshop's methodology may work against Photoline's methodology in cases.

Most of the generic photoshop plugins work fine for me.

BTW, OLM Smoother works fine in Photoline, as long as the layer with line art has a transparent background. I use the CS4 64bit version. OLM Smoother just requires a checkmark in the layer properties set for transparency to make it do its job - it does not matter whether you have an actual transparent area in the layer. Like so:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	116355
    Last edited by Rayek; 08-14-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Win7 64- i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Been using Corel's PaintShop Pro series off and on between PhotoShop and the only thing I can see better in PhotoShop is 64bit compatibility and better performance. My wife and I do professional shoots, and I could really use either one and be satisfied with the results. Some of the editing and masking in PaintShop Pro seems a little backwards at times, but does a very good job once you use it often and get used to the workflow. On the plus side it seems to be a bit more user friendly for the uninitiated photo manipulation user, unlike PhotoShop.
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 560 Ti
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

For painting Corel Painter has much more to offer than Photoshop, a wide range of media, textures and colour mixing options. Manga Studio is great for line work, import and pose obj files, its also very fast to use. For photo retouching I would stick with Photoshop.It's a shame that these programs are compared to photoshop as they have so much to offer in themselves, I know that Manga Studio has been listing reasons why it's better than Photoshop when in fact it's nothing like Photoshop.
    I would also choose Xara designer instead of Illustrator, I just find it much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Most of the generic photoshop plugins work fine for me.

BTW, OLM Smoother works fine in Photoline, as long as the layer with line art has a transparent background. I use the CS4 64bit version. OLM Smoother just requires a checkmark in the layer properties set for transparency to make it do its job - it does not matter whether you have an actual transparent area in the layer. Like so:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	116355
    Good to know - I'll have to try that. I don't think my layer had transparency - it was a black and white image. The plug-in was in my menu, but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried to use it. I bet it was because of the transparency.

And I'd like to know more about how Photoline's layer masks work and how they are different than Photoshop's. I can't find any tutorials about them. I do like the fact that all the adjustment layers and effects work with 16-bit and 32-bit images.

OLM smoother works?...! Yyeayyy!!

a bit older video preview of PhotoLine >

i'm still a newbie, so still gotta learn a few things to speed up the workflow a bit.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

A couple of Photoshop things that I use a lot (and I happily used Paint Shop Pro for many years) are content-aware fill (it's like freaking magic) and the 3D painting features of the Extended version. I also use PS Extended for quick and dirty rendering of animation frames into video clips.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

(PhotoLine) ...Most of the generic photoshop plugins work fine for me.
    could you mention 1 or 2...? curious...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I like photoline so far. Been using it for a few weeks now. Brushes are kinda crap imo but everything else has been pretty darn nice. So chalk 1 up for photoshop brushes.

There are a lot of nice little things in PL that I wish were in PS.

PL opens 16 and 32 bit float exr but not .hdr. But you can download something called Picturenaut and convert it to exr.

I have to touch up 16 bit tiffs some times so 16bpc editing is necessary.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 08-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I edit 90% of my images in After Effects. I can't stand Photoshop's dated destructive workflow and it's minimal levels of support for HDR/Float. For certain types of jobs, it does have its place (content aware fill is a real timesaver as Spinland points out).

I just wish Adobe (or someone else) would bring out a vector-based, non-destructive still image editing tool for editing photos. Photoshop is - ironically - a terrible tool for compositing these days. But that's no surprise - it's been mismanaged since version 5 (the last decent upgrade).
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast