Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

Blender Fluid - Obj Sequence

Looking for a good way to work with the blender obj sequences that the fluid sim puts out. In particular a way to adjust the surface of the entire sequence of obj's, or save them as lwo's. There are some hit and miss things on older versions of LW and Blender around, but haven't seen anything recently.

Someone have a work flow or seen something?

You could load up all your objects into Modeler or Layout, then in Surface Editor set the mode to Scene. Then you can edit all the surfaces as one (assuming the surface name is the same).

There's also this.
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...ntry/surf-rep/

There might be other options too as this is a common topic for people working with RF or obj sequences from another package.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    You could load up all your objects into Modeler or Layout, then in Surface Editor set the mode to Scene. Then you can edit all the surfaces as one (assuming the surface name is the same).

There's also this.
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...ntry/surf-rep/

There might be other options too as this is a common topic for people working with RF or obj sequences from another package.
    I think the surf-rep might just work. Thanks Nick!

hmm...ok the surf-rep plugin/exe only wants a LWO sequence as it's just for RealFlow. Any chance you know of an easy way to convert 203 OBJ's to LWO's?

You could load them all into Modeler or Layout. Not sure of an easy batch process without making one via lscript.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Flipbook Productions Rollie Hudson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    You could load them all into Modeler or Layout. Not sure of an easy batch process without making one via lscript.
    I've struggled with this too - never getting completely past the sequence - unsurfaced running in Lightwave. However, I suspect the trick (or one path) is to get the surface working in Blender (which I have not yet mastered myself yet) and then get Lightwave to correctly read that material surface info in the .obj sequence once you bring it into layout and activate the import sequence/object replacement function which makes the fluid appear to flow in Lightwave Layout.
    Mac OS X
    MacPro Workstations

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    hmm...ok the surf-rep plugin/exe only wants a LWO sequence as it's just for RealFlow. Any chance you know of an easy way to convert 203 OBJ's to LWO's?

Open your .OBJ sequence in Layout using standard the Object Sequencer, then save out the sequence as .LWOs using IL Save Transformed Object Sequence ls script.

(bunch of other cool batch process plugs there too )
    Last edited by JoePoe; 08-12-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

JoePoe is pretty spot on , or you could use splotchdog plugin kinda does that for you .

Quote Originally Posted by JoePoe View Post
    Open your .OBJ sequence in Layout using standard the Object Sequencer, then save out the sequence as .LWOs using IL Save Transformed Object Sequence ls script.

(bunch of other cool batch process plugs there too )
    Perfect, I'll give that a go. I ended up just doing it manually on this quick piece I only had 90 frames of animation. So it wasn't terrible. But if I was to begin using this workflow more I would NEED a batch process. Sounds like this may be the trick. Thanks everyone.

I always wanted to try this but I had no idea where to start.

Here a Layouter script we wrote for just such a case. You can copy your surface to a hole object sequence without opening all the files...

mc_mod_copysurfs.zip

Roman

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
    Here a Layouter script we wrote for just such a case. You can copy your surface to a hole object sequence without opening all the files...

mc_mod_copysurfs.zip

Roman
    Thanks Roman, I know it can be used by many. This topic comes up a couple times a year!

Red face

Here´s the project behind the script. We rendered it in Lightwave but there was no way to animate it there
    So we exported the animation as object sequence from another application. Is was the only way to chance surfaces efficently because the sequences were long and heavy (about 250 MB per object)...

https://vimeo.com/64726323

Roman