Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

Rendering in multiples machines without network rendering?

For those who don't know Modo, it has a feature called Modo_CL, a command line application that basically allows you to render without opening the main program using a very simple syntax. That is very useful because if you have spare machines but you need to keep working in Modo, you can copy a project to the spare machines and render a frame range in each of them, and still use Modo in your main workstation, while you couldn't have Modo open in all three at the same time because the license doesn't allow it, and when you open an extra copy in the same network it only lets you open in slave mode. But the license allows to use as many instances of the command line app as you want.

Does Lightwave have something similar? Meaning, is there a way to use Lightwave to render in spare machines, command line or otherwise, while you work on it in your main workstation? And if it has it, how does it work?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Yeah, you could launch lws.exe via the command line and then feed it the appropriate flags. It's basically what a render farm management software does.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

I use Amleto all the time. I set up a Server on my main station, and I install the Client of each of the other stations. I suggest that you setup a Client on your MainStation also, when needed in the future, but, for your case, now, just start up the Server, assign the project and the frame range, then open your Client station (I use TightVNC, excellent, and a good way to confirm that all of the network communication is working) and it will immediately communicate with the Server, download all of the necessary configs, executable files, the a duplicate of your Project folder, then start rendering on the remote stations. It will cache the set of files locally to the Client station, then transfer and rename to your MainStation, once you have all of the settings in place. All of the copying is a first time only, then only as Projects change or configs get re-written. Errors are usually UserGenerated :>) but once working clean, stays clean. Amleto is now FREE, just donate if you use??
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Like nickdigital said, lwsn.exe is the command line renderer for LightWave. The syntax for a standalone scene would be something like lwsn.exe -3 "scene you want to render" 1 120 1. (The numbers are Start frame, end frame, and frame step)

There are flags for pointing to the configs folder and the content folder. Typing just lwsn.exe and pressing return will show the syntax and a few examples.

This is covered in the manual.

You still have to make sure the network paths are correct. If a scene is set so renders save to a computers local file path (G:\renders\myscene) instead of a network path (\\networkcomputer\renders\myscene), even if that folder is shared, the images won't get saved (unless you have the same drive/folder structure on the remote computer or you have mapped a network drive to the same drive letter as the LW computer. The same is true for files with absolute file paths like images outside of your content directories.

Plugin access can be a sticking point too. You can put your plugins in a separate share and scan the network path for the plugins so your config have the network path. You can also just put the plugins in the same place on each computer. I currently keep all my plugins in dropbox in C:\dropbox so they are synced among all the Windows Machines.

Butterfly Net Render is what we use. As others have stated there are others as well. LW has built in ScreamerNet but it hasn't been touched since 2001 or something

I'm always loading up scenes in the render que for TEST renders or whatever, even though I have them up in LW working on them.

Of course with LW you can open up multiple instances as well...if that helps you out. Just go to task manager and give each one a certain amount of cpu cycles (cores). I too do that as well sometimes...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    Of course with LW you can open up multiple instances as well...if that helps you out. Just go to task manager and give each one a certain amount of cpu cycles (cores). I too do that as well sometimes...
    You can open multiple instances but only on the same computer, right? You can't open one in one computer, then one in another computer just to render, right?

We'll with the software dongle/license I'm sure it's possible and potentially "ok" as long as there isn't someone actively using the software. But you would want to check with support to make sure you weren't breaking any rules

Yeah, I'll ask them. You would think it shouldn't matter, if the command line allows you to render in separate computers, whether you use the command line or the GUI doesn't make a difference, you're still just rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasvideo View Post
    Yeah, I'll ask them. You would think it shouldn't matter, if the command line allows you to render in separate computers, whether you use the command line or the GUI doesn't make a difference, you're still just rendering.
    I have to do this sometimes, and feel ok with that since I do it only when the scene crashes when rendering with lwsn while it renders fine with the GUI.
    Not to say it is way more uncomfortable compared to use a render manager (LightNet:Cloud in my case).
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.