Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about Genoma Mechanical Arm video

I'm trying to follow the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrrd5QjvXM and not knowing much of Lightwave I'm getting a little lost in some things, so I'm going to post a few questions here if you don't mind, just one for now.

At 2:27 in the video, Lino says that we can use the Axis Translate tool to move the subrig to the right place, so he clicks on that tool and then drags a point in the center of the base of the subrig to the point at the top of the first rig. The problem I have is that while he's doing that, he still has the wireframe view of the rig. In my case, as soon as I click on Axis Translate, all I see are lines where the rigs are, making it more difficult to connect those points, even though I think I did, because when I click Axis Translate again, the rigs show again and I can see they are connected. Can anyone tell me why my rigs only show lines when I click on Axis Translate?

Can you show us some screen grabs what happens in your case ? Aslo take notice that Lino has 2 layers set in Background (black wires) and one layer is Forground so be sure to mimic that if you want same behavior.
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2690/64GB/Win8x64/3x780GTX
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Actually right now I'm further into the tutorial so I would prefer not to touch anything, but basically the moment I clicked on Axis Translate the wireframe of the bones disappears and it only shows lines. When I click on A.T. again, they show again. And yes, I made sure that the layers were selected exactly as he had them. In fact, I'm watching the video at 67% speed in VLC player because he goes really fast and I have a 3 second rewind assigned to the 1 key so I can go back and watch the same thing over and over until I get it right.

Then maybe you had different tool mode, there is "normal", Fast preview" and "fast deformation "modes in thos enew tools like Axis translate and few more. Not sure whd oens't lino have numeric panel open ("n" key) while working (i always have it ON in modeler) 'coz there it would be visible which mode he was in but you can try switch mode when you activate tool and see is tht maybe what you saw as difference.
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

OK, I started the whole thing again to review the steps and this time I took a screenshot, also including part of the second monitor to show how he has it in his computer as opposed to the lines I see. I also noticed that even though I can kind of connect the points (but it's much more difficult without seeing the bones) when he gets to the lower bone the legend "Object Center" shows in there, while in my case I only see "Vertex" both in the point I grab and the one I drag to.

The other problem is that at the base of the bone, his version has like a cross, mine only has a point (this is without Axis Translate selected)

I went through the display options and I didn't see anything related to this. Could it be that I'm using 11.6 and something changed from 11.5?

Attachment 116291
    Last edited by Sebasvideo; 08-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Are you maybe using ATI/AMD GFX card or tryign this on Laptop wiht osme of "mobile" GFX cards ? To me your screen looks like openGL glitch/issue. Try going through modes when you activate axis tool try hit Home key 1,2,3 times to see changes (it cylces through modes). Also go to openGL settings and post screen of that so we can see what settings you have there since there is dozens of buttons there what can affect OGL look and perfomance.
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

No, I have a GTX570 on a desktop PC. What you said about going through modes took care of the lines issue, but still, I don't see that cross at the base of the bone/rig.

I'm trying to do this again, and I still have the problem of the cross at the base of the upper rig. Is this a change in 11.6 from 11.5? I don't have 11.5 installed anymore so I can't try this.

Another thing I noticed is that the guy draws a line from the center of the upper subrig to the center of the other one, but when he gets to it, the legend says "Object center" in my case it says "Vertex" just like the other one.
    Last edited by Sebasvideo; 08-28-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Could it be that there's some preference somewhere that I have to set right? My install of 11.6, the most up to date beta available on my account, is a clean install from yesterday, and before doing it I wiped the system of anything with the name Newtek on it, including the Windows registry. So there are no remnants from a bad installation, it's as fresh as it can be. But I still can't see the cross at the bottom of the subrig. I can only see a tiny point, but no cross. I just would like to know if this is a bug due to 11.6 being in beta, or if it's supposed to be different in 11.6.

By the way, that tiny little point at the center bottom of the subrig, I can only see it in Wireframe or Color Wireframe. None of the other modes show it.

Can you post screen grabs?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    Can you post screen grabs?
    Attachment 116678

This is not even the file from the tutorial, I just selected the same subrig the guy selects in the tutorial. As you can see, there's no cross like he has. I may have to re-install 11.5 if necessary, because I just bought Adam Gibson's Genoma Rigging bundle, so I need to have the rigs display the same way. Besides, in the mechanical arm tutorial, when the tutor uses the Axis Translate tool, he seems to be able to drag the point at the middle of the cross quite easily to the object center of the other subrig. In my case, it's really difficult to achieve that, starting with selecting the point at the upper sub rig, and then dragging it to the object center seems impossible. In perspective view, it looks like I'm dragging it to the right place; but in the other views, the dragging point goes to the sides, nowhere close to the object center like he does in the tutorial. Unfortunately I can make a screen grab of that because I'm holding the mouse button when I'm dragging.

OK, so I just went through Adam Gibson's Genoma videos and on chapter 6 he shows FK Control 01b, the one that Lino uses in the mechanical arm video, and in Lino's video that cross is there as soon as he chooses the control and sends it to the viewport. But on Adam's video, that same control looks just like mine, there is no cross. And Adam is using 11.5, so this isn't a matter of 11.5 or 11.6. I feel better knowing that the way I have it is the way it's supposed to be, but I'm curious as to why Lino has that cross and Adam doesn't, both in the same exact control. Is it perhaps a display setting? I went through all of them and didn't see anything related to that. Perhaps Lino has a plugin that shows more options for the rig?

This is Lino's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rrd5QjvXM#t=52

Having seen Adam's videos a little further, I'm a bit confused about why Lino uses that method in that video. Adam simply selects the two points and presses Ctrl+W to weld them, and the subrigs are joined very easily. Using the Axis Translate seems like complicating it when Welding them is far simpler. Of course this is from my beginner experience, Lino may have a reason, but Adam's way seems faster and simpler.
    Last edited by Sebasvideo; 08-30-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Hm, mine doesn't have the cross that I see in Lino's video. Not sure it affects anything, maybe they changed the icon shape or something.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Good, it means it's the way it's supposed to be. Maybe he had a beta version or some kind of plugin that made it look that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast