Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    My 2 cents here, not really interested in giving you fracture advise or anything dynamics related, but I suggest you plan the shot out and work out what camera angle you're gonna be working with, and then plan all your destruction to play to that camera. An explosion has so many random and messy elements it's best put together in the composite, where you can cheat using filmed smoke, fire and dust elements to enhance whatever your 3D is doing. Cu-dos if you can do something convincing all in 3D that looks good from all angles, but I'd be trying to do some sleight of hand to pull something like that off.
    Agreed, but I'm just trying to learn this stuff, I'm not a VFX professional for now. My budget at the most allows me to blow up a toy car

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasvideo View Post
    There should be a law that when a company defrauds its artists, the copyright transfers automatically to the artists. Like in this case, Kurv had a lot of very talented artists do a lot of tutorials for them, didn't pay them a dime (google Kurv Studios rip off and you can read several reports on it) but now there's no chance of getting those tutorials anywhere unless resorting to piracy, in which I would put myself at legal risk, and even my computer if they have a virus. Like two BSG tutorials, one by Kat Myers and another one by Kevin Phillips that I'd love to get my hands on, but they're not for sale anymore. So if there was a law for which the copyright goes back to the author in case of non-payment, they could be free to sell them themselves. That would be the most logical and moral thing to do.

However, at least Kelly Myers is going to release a tutorial that he told me has some of the techniques of his Kurv Studios tutorial, but applied to Iron Sky, so I'm eager to buy that when it's released, whenever that may be.
    You might think there might already be such laws taking care of that? with copyright etc, even though they worked for a studio or retailer of training material, might be different in countries, and especially if you have done work and
    even if you had written agreement that the copyright belongs to those you are working for, if you have delivered a work that isnīt payed for, It canīt logically be considered a payed work that is valid...thus you as the creator
    has the copyright...It must be under the notice that all agreements must be fullfilled if any copyright issues can be claimed from the vendor, otherwise the copyright goes to the creator automaticly.

I think there might be to few cases so it might not have reached the highest court to serve as a praxis case.

Back to blow ups...I think you only will need a few pieces flying away from the car, the rests would probably just be engulfed in flames, depends also if you have a still standig car or if itīs a highway car crash etc.
    Remember this?
    Anatomy of a truck crash...matrix reloaded
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95FbitaBT8

noted Sean M Jacksons youtube profile...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/XianJaxxon/videos

he also mentions this about the series hid did for kurv studios.

"
    XianJaxxon

I don't think it's available anymore. Heck, I taught the tutorial, and I never even got a copy.

Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume II - Sample 04

Sample Video from KURV studios on Sean M. Jackson's Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume II…"

Here is his reel with shots from galactica and many more...you could also try and mail him and see if he by any chance has acess to any of the training series or if he could
    give you some advice on how to approach a car blowing up shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BIgvV3oI8

Michael
    Last edited by prometheus; 08-10-2013 at 11:39 AM.

maybe the new Liberty3D video from Kat could help... >
    http://www.liberty3d.com

to be released soon...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

to be released soon...
    I hope they do final result animated sample renders of what the course will bring, otherwise Im all going for the hard way of trial and error myself..I really need a sort of visual of how the results will be..compared to where
    I am at on my own trial and errors.
    itīs been a while though since using the demo versions of turbulenceFD, have to get back at that some day.

Michael

Ive got a few of Kelly's tutorials and they are very good indeed. I agree with your moments reference Kurv, i have a few of theirs as well.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 7 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 11.5 & 11.6

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Ive got a few of Kelly's tutorials and they are very good indeed. I agree with your moments reference Kurv, i have a few of theirs as well.

that is all fine and dandy, for me though ..it is a must to see the results of the fire and fluid dynamics, and that it has a look to it that I myself would consider hard to acheive for myself, so I canīt rely on what other says actually..therefore
    a render of what the expected project result is a must for me.
    And since we are talking about fluids and dynamics with motion, a still image wont do.

Michael

to be released soon...
    Which one are you talking about?

Im thinking the Turbulance4D video that is coming soon, or am i wrong
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 7 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 11.5 & 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Im thinking the Turbulance4D video that is coming soon, or am i wrong
    Oh, well, I won't buy Turbulence any time soon, anyway. But I was planning on buying some of Kat's tutorials on other stuff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasvideo View Post
    Oh, well, I won't buy Turbulence any time soon, anyway. But I was planning on buying some of Kat's tutorials on other stuff anyway.
    Neither am i on the Turbulence front. Kats videos are good using displacements and bullet should be a good way to go for blowing up a car. Kat has some good tutorials on that using a spaceship, crumpling the metal before exploding it.
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 7 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 11.5 & 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I hope they do final result animated sample renders of what the course will bring, otherwise Im all going for the hard way of trial and error myself..I really need a sort of visual of how the results will be..compared to where
    I am at on my own trial and errors...
    unfortunately i doubt there will be sample renders, they usually don't provide it... :/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

unfortunately i doubt there will be sample renders, they usually don't provide it... :/
    I know...that is rarely seen, that is also why I mostly donīt buy in too any of those effects tutorials, I donīt want to find out that I actually could come up with same results myself, And if I myself were to
    do any such tutorial I would of course provide final result render.
    I canīt see any issues on why not providing it, except for rendertime

You donīt wanīt to buy the pig in the sack so to speak, if the end project result is good, then I see it as a good way to sell the tutorial much more, if itīs not..the opposite of course.
    Of course there is probably much much more to take advantage of referencing Kellyīs production experience, but generally I can only see it as complementary showcase of what to expect.

Sean M Jackson did a showcase of his stuff on youtube, unfortunatly It seems to be not available anymore, he says so himself.

One area I would like to get to know more about within space battle scenes, that would be more massive multi explosions and multimissile hit before that, but that needs to showcase multi explosions and preferably
    also the mix of live plate pyro, that might be an issue due to copyrightīs of certain footage of course, so I guess it has to be free clips or homemade clips.
    Havenīt seen any of that larger scale shot like that.

Single shotīs shown In Sean M Jacksons video..I would say I could match myself...but the whole directing and timing of multimissiles and multiexplosions I would be more interested in to see, so I could get
    a better Insight in production techniques for such shots rather than set it up with more painstakingly manual methods myself.
    _ _ _ _ _

Back to car blowing up, I donīt think there is much need of fracturing the car that much, could probably as well just be cutting and pasting parts, adding thickness, blowing out the doors, windows and some small detail debris,
    I think such blast would be so fast that you canīt really see that much except for the blast itself.
    I would say that if you want the best...turbulenceFD is what to use, otherwise..mostly setup 3 or 4 emitters, one for initial big center blast, one for the particle plume burst and a third with the particle trail plume itself, maybe a fourth
    with particles spawning upwards from that...the rest is tweaking hypervoxels to the death..and using composit to blur and distort in the end.

The blasting sequence (truck collison)from The Matrix reloaded was done with particles and afterburner in 3ds max...and a lot, I mean a lot of time went in to that shot, afterburner has somewhat more advanced controls and a special explosion daemon deformer which makes it good for such things, principles could be adapted and worked through to do similar with hypervoxels, it all depends on what type of explosion shot youré after.

Michael
    Last edited by prometheus; 08-11-2013 at 07:16 AM.

some Old tutorials from previously desktop images is availbable free from Greg Sullivan who made them, not a car blast, it deals with a dynamic shot of a plane and a small hous exploding and some dynamics and particle effects setup
    with particle emitters and trails that can be useful, it lacks the final Hypervoxels touch though .which is the hard part to get right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTK...OiVKcCxX2tcxZg

Update...another good car blast ref...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Knf49Gq9-w

MIchael
    Last edited by prometheus; 08-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    One area I would like to get to know more about within space battle scenes, that would be more massive multi explosions and multimissile hit before that, but that needs to showcase multi explosions and preferably
    also the mix of live plate pyro, that might be an issue due to copyrightīs of certain footage of course, so I guess it has to be free clips or homemade clips.
    Havenīt seen any of that larger scale shot like that.

Single shotīs shown In Sean M Jacksons video..I would say I could match myself...but the whole directing and timing of multimissiles and multiexplosions I would be more interested in to see, so I could get
    a better Insight in production techniques for such shots rather than set it up with more painstakingly manual methods myself.
    Michael
    I would love to see that kind of tutorial as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast