Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was experimenting with this a month or so ago, can't find the rendered version, but here's a quick preview of where I got to:

edit: Unweld! That's the command I was searching for. Cheers XSX!
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    I just put together this quick tutorial to show my process and offer some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqexUbvLTxg
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

VAD Founder and Supervisor, AVATAR

VAD Supervisor, Tintin - ADG Nominated for Art Direction

thanks for the tutorials, nice overview
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Thanks for the shattering tutorial Rob. A bit less work than my previous method.

However, much as Rob would love you to buy his new S/W, ( ) ), you don't actually need ChronoSculpt for this. You can create quite satisfactory results with the an envelope for simulation speed in World Settings.

Oh, and I've managed to break Bullet in 11.6. Whilst playing with the above sim, the whole computer locked up. A hard reset later, booted up Layout and saw the result below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 12.35.45.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	116242

I've killed it! Reseting configs didn't help...

edit: Third time of deleting configs lucky! Got Bullet back!
    Last edited by pinkmouse; 08-09-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

How did you reset your configs and also you should have a plugin called dynamics.p in \support\plugins\animate.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    FX-8350 x8 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (331.58) with 1344 CUDA cores, 16GB RAM
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97) with 192 CUDA cores, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 10.9 Mavericks

this is where you can have a lot of control using hard fx , it has certain elements for moving pieces and controlling there time ... plus you can weight map / pin the corner I dont think you can do that in bullet

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    The fracture tool in LW seems to generate pretty ropey geometry and crashes a lot, so I was wondering if:

(a) someone knew how to get better results, or...
    (b) someone had an existing pre-fractured model for a glass pane, or...
    (c) the above plus an MDD file with pre-baked shatter animation using physics

I've done some stuff with the fracture tools and bullet before, but this video is super-glossy (and it's ultra slo-mo - which means you can't hide the detail needed) so I need a really nice realistic looking shattered glass.
    As you mentioned the fracture part of this will be the most difficult to achieve. I donīt think that you can achieve the look of shattered glass with LWs fracture tool on its own.

Take a photo as reference and use a technique like XswampyX recommends:

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Here's another way.

More safety/cartoon type glass.
    After this use fracture tool on single parts (mostly from the impact spot) to shatter it more.

For the animation part: fix some geometrie around your hole (maybe animate it with a morph to get some cracks without breaking complete).

One thing that could become difficult in this case is that you cannot render the preshattered glass as intact. You have to exchange two objects. At normal speed this works, however with slow motion it can become a problem (maybe you can use an animated clip map to reveal/hide the objects.

And if you need to change the playback speed you donīt need to leave LW for Chronosculpt, you can adjust the MDD speed in the MDD reader (probably you know this already)!

ciao
    Thomas
    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

Quick render with materials. Needs some particles as well I think.

Name:	glass.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	116243

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    How did you reset your configs and also you should have a plugin called dynamics.p in \support\plugins\animate.

B
    Hi Ben. Unhid Libs/app support/... (ML 10.8.4!), dragged configs folder to trash, and restarted. Third time it actually stuck, and I got everything back.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    this is where you can have a lot of control using hard fx , it has certain elements for moving pieces and controlling there time ... plus you can weight map / pin the corner I dont think you can do that in bullet

As a recent LW returnee, I've never used HardFX, just got stuck straight into Bullet. Perhaps I should explore the old stuff more, as weighting/pinning would be quite useful.
    Al

Everyone THANK YOU so much for all your feedback on this. Rob, in particular, for doing a great tutorial! I think the problem I was having was because I wasn't subdividing my glass pane enough (I only had about a third of the number of divisions in rob's tutorial).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go and break some glass....
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Here's my first attempt - slow motion shattering glass. There's a few glitches, but this works pretty well. The big breakthrough came with Rob's tut on the fracture tool. I hadn't used polys as shatter objects before, and they work really well. And upping the subdivision on the shape before running Fracture really helps (which is weirdly counter-intuitive as boolean operations usually get slower/more glitchy as geometry gets more complex!)

Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

And please do check the spiderweb chatter thread if you have missed it, some more additional tips on how to fracture in a spiderweb or glassbullet impact way.
    I posted an object template that you can see the results from and also use as template...I noticed some errors in it and I didnīt check stray points etc, but I think it might be worth checking.
    I used a sphere with z axis start, deleted half of the sphere because I then flatten it and I donīt want double sided surface, extruding it and fracture it with background points.
    Read more about that...

Thread...
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....20#post1339120

image of object template...

Name:	fracture_web.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	116363

object template...
    http://forums.newtek.com/attachment....2&d=1376424939

you could also try and jitter it too slightly.
    Last edited by prometheus; 08-14-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast