Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Lol. One of your favourite characters too! Nemo was the first film I took my eldest boy to see at the cinema, it is one of our favourites and he will still sit down and watch it with me (he's nearly 11, lol).

For me, this time, the mesh was so frustrating... I don't know if it was because I was trying to fit it in between client work, I was tired, not paying attention or what, but I could not get the polys to work for me. Ended up being 3hrs of modelling, which I am not happy about as that is not a difficult character. I need to learn to stop zooming in and out all the time and just get on with a base mesh and look at the detail later. All started from octagon.

Steve, what did you do to avoid 5 point pinching around the edge loop for the fins?

Oh well, on with the next one.

Here's some nice hi res reference images if you need them for texturing -
    http://www.pixarblog.de/wp-content/u..._3d_bruce1.jpg
    http://www.pixarblog.de/wp-content/u..._3d_sharks.jpg

And some wires (animated gif) and a render -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BruceAnimatedCreation.gif 
Views:	350 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	116264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bruce_Render1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	116263

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Current WIP: Maracana Stadium Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Waves of light View Post
    Steve, what did you do to avoid 5 point pinching around the edge loop for the fins?
    Usually what I will do is create a secondary loop before the mesh changes trajectory so that its on a flatter surface to avoid pinching. So basically I make sure my polygons 'surround' the area I want the fins to be extruded from. Then I create a loop within that area, then pull another loop out still on the flat surface, THEN I start to extrude the fins. Just try to keep your stars on the flattest area as possible without a lot of curvature or direction change.

I started Bruce with the mouth to make sure to put the good poly flow around the mouth so I could get the smile lines in. Then it was just a matter of creating a loop for the eye, creating the ridge above the eyes then patching in between. Then it was just a matter of extruding my edges backwards to the tail. Went pretty quick actually. The worst part for me was the mouth. I made a mess and probably spent 20 minutes cleaning the inside of the mouth the way I wanted it (and its still not there but good enough). I modeled a single tooth and then just copied and pasted it around one side of the mouth then mirrored that over to the other side.

I also ran into a bit of timesuck while I made the conversion to higher density near the face to lower density at the tail. Normally, not a problem but I didn't really consider it ahead of time since it was a speed job. Thanks for the images, that second one I actually used for a side profile while modeling.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 08-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Preset pack for LWCAD: http://3dnocturne.com/presets.html
    X79 Deluxe,Intel 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1
    My YouTube Channel (tutorials) http://www.youtube.com/user/35hrgiger

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Usually what I will do is create a secondary loop before the mesh changes trajectory so that its on a flatter surface to avoid pinching. So basically I make sure my polygons 'surround' the area I want the fins to be extruded from. Then I create a loop within that area, then pull another loop out still on the flat surface, THEN I start to extrude the fins. Just try to keep your stars on the flattest area as possible without a lot of curvature or direction change.

I started Bruce with the mouth to make sure to put the good poly flow around the mouth so I could get the smile lines in. Then it was just a matter of creating a loop for the eye, creating the ridge above the eyes then patching in between. Then it was just a matter of extruding my edges backwards to the tail. Went pretty quick actually. The worst part for me was the mouth. I made a mess and probably spent 20 minutes cleaning the inside of the mouth the way I wanted it (and its still not there but good enough). I modeled a single tooth and then just copied and pasted it around one side of the mouth then mirrored that over to the other side.
    I should have started with the mouth, but I was sort of directed by one of the images I linked to in the previous post, which is a side view shot from Pixar. So I thought more about length and fin placement, by which point I got to the mouth and the trouble started. I was going to use PlaceMesh for the teeth and then attempt to model the eye socket, but I gave up after I saw the timer! I will keep it, as I can always stick it into 3DCoat as a base mesh and voxel sculpt and texture a better version.

Thanks for the tips on the pinching. Are you going to texture him?

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Not sure, I might try to paint him up in Zbrush, its just a matter of if I will have time. BTW, I added more to my previous post.
    Preset pack for LWCAD: http://3dnocturne.com/presets.html
    X79 Deluxe,Intel 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1
    My YouTube Channel (tutorials) http://www.youtube.com/user/35hrgiger

Already some really good stuff findig nemo seems to dominate. I wanted to try nemo maybe

Buttercup.

Coming in @ 120 minutes... EVE!

Nothing fancy here... mostly slice, saw, multishift and extrude... and some help from LWCAD's line tool (for fancy, precise slicing...)
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 4GB GTX680 "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Great entries. Can't wait to see what you come up with Kuzey - timelapse again?

Don't forget about the mascot!
    Modelling about 30-40 mins, texturing and lights bout another 30-40.

For Pinkmouse:

One quick thing I noticed is that you modeled the bow-tie as part of the main mesh. At this stage in your modeling career, I'd suggest you have that as a separate mesh. (That would also extend to his beak, feet, and [future] eyes.) That way you don't have to wrestle with control loops and wonky polygonal flow -- especially during a time-limited challenge!
    Last edited by Pantagrool; 08-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Now where's the fun in that! ?

I think it's a mindset problem. I've got a good grip on hard surface modelling, though perhaps I'm a little slower than an expert, but those techniques don't seem to help much with soft body work. I suspect I need to start again from scratch, and ignore everything I've learnt. Then once I've got the hang of soft body, I can go back and combine the two systems into a fully rounded technique. I'll probably hit Youtube this morning for some tutorial stuff, then have another go later today.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

I'm so hoping this challenge gets a one week extension

I backed up my HD without saving my LW menu setup & now all that work is gone...grrr

Can the contest also last longer then 1 week? Didn't know about that. If you want I can also extend it to 2 weeks

If more people want an extension then it might be a good idea...otherwise..I'll see if I can take part in the next one

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast