Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Boogiedown Speed Modeling Challenge #228 - Pixar

Speed Modeling Challenge #228 - Pixar

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
    3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Pixar

I want you to model a pixar character from one of their full length movies or from a short. So let the Pixar family come together ....

Modeling time: Giving 120 mins for this one for those who want to try a bit more complex character

Deadline: Wednesday, August 14th, 2013, 22:00 G.M.T

P.S. What would you think about the winner of the challenge always doing a little tutorial (written or video) of their model for the next week. I think this could be interesting as we could see a lot of different techniques and people could improve their skills. Tell me what you think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesxx View Post

P.S. What would you think about the winner of the challenge always doing a little tutorial (written or video) of their model for the next week. I think this could be interesting as we could see a lot of different techniques and people could improve their skills. Tell me what you think about it
    Good subject James!

I think a lot of the winners (and entrants) do post tuts and videos but some just don't have the time or confidence.
    I usually don't even have time to enter never mind anything else these days. I don't think we should impose a 'condition,' if you like, just in case the pressure puts people off.

Just my opinion
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Yeah you are totally right. But maybe we could ad a note like: " If you, winner of the challenge, like to show us how you did your model, a tutorial would be much appreciated, but of course it's not a must". Something like that so that people can do how they like

I occasionally record my modelling sessions..the gas mask one will be up today or tomorrow..if you want to see how not to model

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Great subject. Will have to have a go at this one.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Current WIP: Maracana Stadium Brazil

I've been out of the forums for a few years, so just for clarification: Is ZBrush considered a '3rd party plug-in'? I'm guessing 'No,' but just thought I'd ask. Anyway, yeah, great challenge! Curious to see what all you folks come up with.

Got an idea, I'll give this one a go (despite rather lack luster character modeling skills). May have to watch a movie again to see how the character's hands work, though.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 4GB GTX680 "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantagrool View Post
    I've been out of the forums for a few years, so just for clarification: Is ZBrush considered a '3rd party plug-in'? I'm guessing 'No,' but just thought I'd ask. Anyway, yeah, great challenge! Curious to see what all you folks come up with.
    I think itīs ok to use it for texturing but not for modeling

I really can't get the hang of this soft body stuff...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheezy1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	116252

Over two hours wasted when I could have been (virtually ) blowing something up. Dunno how you folks do it. Still, being a sucker for punishment, I may have a another try at Wheezy later, so please don't anyone else have a go or I'll feel really, really , useless in comparison.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

How could I not enter a Pixar speed model? Here is one of my favorite characters Bruce from Finding Nemo. Just under 2 hours for modeling. The fins are crap, pretty much just extruded and shaped the best I could I would have wanted to change the poly flow for those. Also I didn't get to shape the eye area as much as I wanted to and the mouth and teeth could use some work but overall for 2 hours, I'm pretty happy with it.

Name:	Bruce.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	116261

Name:	Bruce_Side.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	116262
    Preset pack for LWCAD: http://3dnocturne.com/presets.html
    X79 Deluxe,Intel 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1
    My YouTube Channel (tutorials) http://www.youtube.com/user/35hrgiger

That's excellent mesh Steve and polygons well spent .
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2690/64GB/Win8x64/3x780GTX
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Thanks guys. I wanted to add some underwater mines around him, I thought that would look awesome but not enough time.
    Preset pack for LWCAD: http://3dnocturne.com/presets.html
    X79 Deluxe,Intel 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1
    My YouTube Channel (tutorials) http://www.youtube.com/user/35hrgiger

Nice Shark
    Win 7 64, Core i7-3930 @ 4.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 680

http://www.ryste3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    How could I not enter a Pixar speed model? Here is one of my favorite characters Bruce from Finding Nemo. Just under 2 hours for modeling. The fins are crap, pretty much just extruded and shaped the best I could I would have wanted to change the poly flow for those. Also I didn't get to shape the eye area as much as I wanted to and the mouth and teeth could use some work but overall for 2 hours, I'm pretty happy with it.

Name:	Bruce.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	116261

Name:	Bruce_Side.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	116262
    Really cool!
    UX / Product Design Manager