Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

LW 11.6 Python PRIS module

Hi,

I just spotted this on the documentation of LW 11.6, but page 316 doesn't say anything about what it is.

Can someone of the developers give a short description of what it is?

Thanks,
    David
    When a feature/tool is well thought from the start, the less feature requests it will generate
    ASUS P5Q Pro Windows 8 Pro 8GB RAM Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz GeForce GT240 310.90

Motoslave?
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

I've only had a brief glance at it, but at first glance PRIS seems to be an invisible layer of doom of Python for LightWave. It seems to be a replacement of the pcore module moving forward. You can no longer get help on pcore nor can you get help on pris or even lwsdk.pris. It's so invisible that you can only call it, but not knowing what methods it contains is problematic. The bright side is the code is needed is a LOT cleaner.

PRIS is short for PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!

[QUOTE=BigHache;1336319You can no longer get help on pcore nor can you get help on pris or even lwsdk.pris. It's so invisible that you can only call it, but not knowing what methods it contains is problematic. [/QUOTE]

Aggh! That is no good then, I'm having similar problems getting help on "other" python SDK, and I managed to get it using the inspect module. I was very glad that the help() command was so useful inside LW!

Cheers,
    David
    When a feature/tool is well thought from the start, the less feature requests it will generate
    ASUS P5Q Pro Windows 8 Pro 8GB RAM Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz GeForce GT240 310.90

This is pre-release too, so that's not to say this is final behavior. I've filed a bug report (63961) just in case as it doesn't seem correct, especially since help('pcore') isn't functioning.

Well help('pcore') is back with a vengeance and has grown to 23k+ lines. Yay!

I missed this because for whatever reason I have not installed 2708 at home yet (keep forgetting). Within the SDK folder there is a zip file called "lwpython11.6". These docs are growing to be a very nice place of information, and they include information on PRIS (which turns out is NOT short for PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS).

So a big shout out to the O to the P:

(from the lwpython11.6 docs)
    Python Reduced Instruction Set
    LightWave 11.6 introduced a new set of Python modules called the Python Reduced Instruction Set, collectively known as PRIS.

PRIS seeks to reduce the complexity of LightWave Python’s direct exposure to the LightWave SDK by providing a collection of functions that encapsulate that complexity for many of the more common actions your plug-in may perform. In addition, this simplication layer has been implemented entirely in Python, a format that affords modification, or extension via additions, on your part should you so choose.

Each PRIS module can be accessed in Python through the existing ‘lwsdk’ module. If you wish to examine or modify any PRIS module, you can find them under the ‘bin/lwsdk/’ package directory of your LightWave 11.6+ installation.
    -----------------------------

So basically it's trying to get the Python implementation to look and feel more like LScript. This was laid out on the roadmap but it's just cool that we're getting there now.

Thanks for that finding.

I dont have the latests build installed waiting for the next one to fix Spline Control.

Looks like that with the PRIS module maybe it will be easy to prototype plugins in Python now.

Cheers,
    David