Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Soooo......we were lied to?

"Kinect support included in 11.5 right out of the box, no extra software or plugins" (paraphrasing slightly)

Firstly, it's not available in 11.5. And now it's an extra cost to buy a plugin............

Don't get me wrong, the direction in which Lightwave has been going over the past months is brilliant and I can't really complain at that, but this all seems like we're being deliberately mislead, and I for one am incredibly unhappy about the whole situation.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Rob Powers to offer some kinda of explanation to the situation and why we were essentially lied to during the Kinect demonstration.

Thanks
    TheMightySpud

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    I gotta say that I for one SO dont get where this sentiment seems to be coming from in all these threads.

At that last trade show (NAB, whatever it was)... they showed, "oh look, here's kinect working in LW"... no promises of how it would or wouldnt be included, etc. Sure, we might have assumed (or presumed) that, like most features, it'd be included as part of the app as standard, but turns out its not... so what??

If this were a plugin from anyone else... it'd be commercial, and no-one would bat an eyelid, but because its NT that's somehow a "foul". Are NT not allowed to create and sell separate their own plugins?? And why not??

Dont get it.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I am right there with you. What was said, meant (to me) that within the 11 development cycle, I would have the ability to plug in my Kinect, and do mocap - plain as day.

I just went to their youtube channel to see if I could find exactly what was said, and there's a 'deleted video' where I think it may have been. I really hope I'm wrong.

Forum Tips
    Ubuntu Edge
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

@RebelHill, Sorry dude, but Rob Powers Explicitly said that it was included in 11.5 and would work right out of the box with no extra plugins etc.

This is the shorter video......

http://waskul.tv/portfolio/nab-show-...in-robot-demo/

1 minute onwards.

Direct Quote

"Now the cool thing about 11.5 is this is incorporated when you purchase the software it's....There's nothing special you haveta do to make this work, we've incoportated this directly in the software"

Sorry to say, but with that statement there is no room for interpretation.

TheMightySpud

Hmmm... yeah... ok. That does seem to at least "resemble" a smoking gun in this instance.
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I love that you've found it. This needs to be overturned as a matter of urgency. This is actual proof that we were lied to. He did not say 'we are trying to get it to work, or that it's using an additional plugin', He said it was included when you buy.....

Aaargh!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, that sounded like I mean he was lying when he said it. I don't mean that, I'm sure he was saying it in a marketing, make people want LW way. But the fact is, he now needs to deliver on it.

When I was talking to Newtek support about this, the person I was speaking to actually said 'Ah yeah, I see what you mean, I'll try to get Rob to clarify the situation' But nothing ever came of it. :-/

Yeah, I think Chronosculpt is a good external product and it could appeal to other software users and so I'm fine with it as it is. But considering Rob's comments as well as improvements to character animation we've been waiting for in LightWave, it seems not quite right that Kinect is a seperate plugin to be purchased.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 07-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.
    Preset pack for LWCAD: http://3dnocturne.com/presets.html
    X79 Deluxe,Intel 4930k, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1
    My YouTube Channel (tutorials) http://www.youtube.com/user/35hrgiger

Oh yeah, completely agree, Chronosculpt looks amazing. But it's not been mentioned before and especially not part of LW natively. That's where the issue with the Kinect support is coming from. The fact that it was explicitly stated as being part of the software and not a separate purchasable plugin.

I think that the support for Kinect is in there, just not the retargeting stuff that Nevron Motion adds for all other things. It is supposed to reside in virtual studio, and without a Kinect, I can't test this. You shouldn't really need retargeting for the Kinect anyway, from what I understand.
    Last edited by Amurrell; 07-24-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 560 Ti
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Not that I can see. Installed the Pre-Release this morning just to check and couldn't see anything related to Kinect in VS.

Quote Originally Posted by Amurrell View Post
    You shouldn't really need retargeting for the Kinect anyway, from what I understand.
    Ofc you need retargeting. You capture from a "character" with one set of body proportions, apply to another with different proportions (with direct value>value copying) and u get a motion that doesnt "fit".
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Why not sold even Modeler and Layout separately at this point? So you buy exactly the modules you need for your production!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast