Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks, always nice to see things like these.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

very nice tail setup, i wonder, is it possible to use pose save / pose load on it.. ?
    tried a bit, but so far i couldn't cut it... it's probably just me doing something wrong... :o
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    very nice tail setup, i wonder, is it possible to use pose save / pose load on it.. ?
    tried a bit, but so far i couldn't cut it... it's probably just me doing something wrong... :o
    IKB's pose/motion load/save is something I need to cover in a separate video, which I'm working on. it isn't as straightforward as it should be as the tools lack "error checking". IE: If you saved a hand pose in child mode with the wrist bone selected, you MUST load the pose having the same item selected and also in child mode, and if the object ID is different from what is contained within the loadfile it will also not work (some people delete half the rig, position bones, then mirror heiarchy to adapt rigs to new characters... this breaks your ability to use IKB load/save on different rigs because this CHANGES the object ID). This is also true if you use genoma, skelegons, and other destructive methods of rig adapation... so if I intend to re-use motions I save everything with map motion 2, then transfer that to IKB rig format for faster loading and re-use (IKB format also saves ikbind data). I am developing a workflow that eliminates this problem, however... but I'd feel better battle-testing it before saying much about it.

As for the tail, the one linked in the original post is more of an automatic solution. You move the yellow bone and the rest of the bones move with it. The parent bone (the one above the yellow bone) is used when you need to adjust the height. If even more control over how the tail curls is needed, a null modifier can be applied to relativity. If you want to curl the tail downward and lift, you can move the parent bone upward and the tail controller downward to get a nice upward curling motion. Or, you can also use MF motion baker then switch to IKB keyframing if you need total control (after baking, you can just uncheck all the relativity motion modifiers on the tail bones and leave it there for later use).
    Last edited by chazriker; 08-11-2013 at 12:23 PM.

As for the tail, the one linked in the original post is more of an automatic solution
    i see now, i copied one frame (hpb) to another frame the vector using VectorCP,
    while the rotation was identical, i found the two frames ended up looking different.
    i guess it's a semi-automatic solution?

edit, ah, this line explained it
    ...you can adjust the speed in real time by using a null to drive the delay of the bones
    my mistake, didn't read the tail intro text properly.

so yep, more specific tail animations will have to be "hand" animated...
    luckily ikb is good at that too though...
    Last edited by erikals; 08-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    so yep, more specific tail animations will have to be "hand" animated...
    luckily ikb is good at that too though...
    That is correct. Think of it as a 2-way system between automation and IKB movements:

1) Relativity applied to the bones automates the smoothing of the tail movements for very fluid results.

2) When manual control is needed one can use MF motion baker on the automation section of animation (using a step of 3-4 is fine, more if your FPS is high), uncheck the relativity property on the bones (don't delete them, you can re-use them!), and animate with IKB. I have found that for about 90% of my animation in Delura, the relativity tail is more than suitable... its when choreography is involved where you may want to hand-animate some stuff (IE: a character gets pulled by their tail, or they knock something over with it, or there's a fight scene where rapid motions are in play). IKB allows for this kind of stuff without a complicated rig, and can be changed in mid animation of course.

I almost never use the null speed modifier for relativity (because its usually faster to just switch to IKB), but I have tried it and it does work. I imagine this might be handy when it is important that the bone movements are as fluid as possible.
    Last edited by chazriker; 08-12-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12