Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free IKBooster Rig

If you'd like to use this as a study reference or are just curious about what a production-proven IKBooster rig looks like, check it out! Use it however you like.

NOTES:

TestIKBRig.zip

- With exception of CoG rotation and the relativity-driven tail controller, the rig is click-drag operated.

- TAIL: The tail is typically driven by relativity: rotating the base bone will make all bones follow in a swaying motion. Best results are given via steady rotational movement, but know you can adjust the speed in real time by using a null to drive the delay of the bones. Personally, I just mix in manual IKBooster movements whenever I need extreme control over the tail. Most scenes don't demand it. NOTE: You can use the Tail mover bone for adjustments to height and amount of swing.

- With IKBooster, you may notice that if fix the tip and base of a bone, controlling the parent-most part of the bone will result in a non-rotational movement. Try fixing the base and tip of the "Head_Tip" bone, and notice that the head stays pointed forward as you manipulate the base of that bone.

- LEGS: You can get foot swivel movement by holding down CTRL and manipulating the bank channel. There's various fixing combinations you can do to achieve things like rolling heels and accurate toe movement.

- Quaternion booster qualities: You may notice some odd starting coordinates that you wouldn't find in normal rigs. This is to make this rig's deforms work right out of the box without any additional weight maps, modifiers, or other things that typically slow down responsiveness in Layout... this also means all I have to do to add this rig to a character is move half of the rig, mirror-copy, and IKstop where needed. While this isn't practical with IK rigs, it works beautifully for IKB. You can have 10+ of these rigs active (with their characters visible) all at the same time with high responsiveness. Some of Delura's scenes have required that all of the rigs be active simultaneously, and it helps a ton. That said, I don't work with normal IK anymore.

- The red bone is mainly for scenes involving tables or upper-body only shots. Its just easier to quickly manipulate the character in those circumstances.

- Hip swing can be achieved in a variety of ways. Optimal is to switch CoG to rotate mode and use rotational movements with the neck fixed, but you can also leave CoG in move mode and do pelvic movements that way.

- Body movement is achieved by simply grabbing the neck or shoulders and pulling. You can put an IKStop on the neck if you don't want head movement to affect the body.

- In animation, it is important not to move the CoG while in rotate mode. This moves the character's bounding box and will make things float around when making changes/edits. If you want to rotate the whole rig for doing flips and stuff, use LW's normal rotational controls.

- The "hand-HP" bones are special. You can pin both that and the hand bones to lock the hands in place... or you can move the fixed Hand-HP bone forward to determine where the hand should pivot.

-This rig can interact dynamically with any object in 3d space (as in, you can make it grab a character or even a rotating object, and have their limbs rotate/react accordingly). I'll leave that for a special tutorial for later

- Re-targeting animation is straightforward: just re-bake on the new character's arms/legs where needed.

- Torso twisting is best done by pulling/pushing the shoulders, but you can manually do it as well for fine-tuned adjustments.

- You can press f1-f3 (disable XYZ) if you wanna get things like foot sliding or axis-dependant movement like when you control a typical object.

As a final note, I can proudly say I'm no longer a retrowaver. (well, at least until the next update rolls along)
    Last edited by chazriker; 06-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Cool stuff, thanks Chaz!
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thanks chazriker!
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

so much to learn... :]
    thank you
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I also have plans to do a tutorial on how to save/load/transfer motions between IKB character rigs... and have it actually work flawlessly.

One problem with IKBoosters pose/motion load/save is that it works strictly through object identifiers (not object names). This means that while the delete-adjust-mirror-rest method is a good way to set up a new character quickly, it also means that you cannot transfer animations between the original and adjusted character rigs... even though the hierarchy is structurally identical.

In my opinion, IKB's motion/pose functions are best left for mocap solutions like in the demonstration thread recently posted here. Now, you can convert hmot to IKB format to make things quicker and easier, but again I'll cover that in a tutorial later.
    Last edited by chazriker; 06-27-2013 at 09:34 AM.

This might be the wrong place to post, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about taking a preset, high rez mesh, for instance... a zygote human model, with layers, and getting it to a nice, rigging pose. Their pre frozen positions make it impossible to change poses on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    In my opinion, IKB's motion/pose functions are best left for mocap solutions like in the demonstration thread recently posted here.
    link > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....th-test-files)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    This might be the wrong place to post, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about taking a preset, high rez mesh, for instance... a zygote human model, with layers, and getting it to a nice, rigging pose. Their pre frozen positions make it impossible to change poses on it.
    Sounds like an Rhill problem! I disagree with a lot of his workflows, but there is no debating that he knows his stuff when it comes to perfecting deforms (as in, handling musculature, complex shoulder twists/rotations, etc) with super-detailed meshes, and other stuff like that. I wouldn't recommend working on a pre-frozen mesh personally.

Anyways, check out this thread he recently created.
    Last edited by chazriker; 06-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Trust me... if I could... I'd change the workflow and models... Thanks for the response...

Maybe using the new Zbrush ReTop tool could help. Would loose my textures though...

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    A lot depends on the actual condition of the model itself, and how extreme it is... but u can rig in any pose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eKxT0#t=08m35s
    RHiggit Autorigger
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all
    /board Product support

Thanks RHill, I'll check into it for sure... Great stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    A lot depends on the actual condition of the model itself, and how extreme it is... but u can rig in any pose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eKxT0#t=08m35s
    So, I should look into getting the "PRO" / small business version? This will let me rig the models in strange poses?

So, I should look into getting the "PRO" / small business version? This will let me rig the models in strange poses?
    Please leave commercial plugin discussion for PM's or for threads related to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast