Thread: Editing MPG Files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Editing MPG Files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Hi all,

I have some files I need to edit. So as a Creative Cloud member, I just imported in to Premiere Pro CC and went to export so I could get an MP4 to a client. This would take way too long (14 hours). Now, I own a Matrox MXO2 LE w/ MAX but dummy me didn't check for support for CC before uninstalling CS6. Long story short, I have CS6 on another system, but it will not read the MPG file. It says "There was an error decompressing audio or video." Premiere Pro CC opened and worked with it just fine. So what's different? It's just a standard MPG file, right?

VLC Media Player can play it. QuickTime can't.

It's not just this file too. I have several and all are behaving the same way.

These were recording with a TriCaster 850 Extreme.

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    Our files should work with both CS6 and the new Creative Cloud (CC) version of Premiere Pro. To verify this, I did some tests to and had absolutely no problems with getting MP4, MP2, and QT files to play in Premiere CS6 and CC as long as they were imported using Premiere's Import feature under the file menu. These files were recorded on a TriCaster XD850 Extreme running Rev4h. For both CS6 and CC (Windows) versions of Premiere Pro, the software was up-to-date as of today.

How are you bringing the files into Premiere?
    Jeremy Brosius
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Quote Originally Posted by VideoEng QA View Post
    These files were recorded on a TriCaster XD850 Extreme running Rev4h.
    What about 1080i 30 .mov recorded on a TC 455? Rev 5d seems to be the latest I can download from you?
    Exporting the media to Premiere or Vegas profiles doesn't seem to help. Should I record them as AVI or somthing? Or convert them thru SpeedEDIT?
    BTW We are running Creative Cloud on the TriCaster 455 computer, so the codecs should all be there.

Thanks
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    AdamLightplay@Gmail.com

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

UK based Live Production
    We use MPEGs with CS6 no issues mate - the MOV's do not touch with a bargepole (which makes our Tricaster 40 purchase questionable).

You can use the export tool - try exporting and trying an alternate format or running through a DDR as well is another option to get another file out.

Premiere has been a little 'special' in this respect, but thankfully it seems the problem has been more or less resolved in their latest release (as promised).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Wait when you say that you're running Creative Cloud on the Tricaster 455, do you mean that you have the software installed on the Tricaster Machine?
    Isn't that a No-No?

Do you have the newtek codecs installed?
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't followed up on this yet. I am just now revisiting this issue.

I have the MPG files from the TC 850 Extreme. Two of them are around 120 GB each and another is around 150GB. When I drop them into Premiere Pro CC, the 150GB one is the only one that shows up as the proper length at 2 hours 38 minutes or so. One of the other one shows up as 1 frame, and the other is like 6 minutes for some reason. None of them throw any errors when I drop them into Premiere.

There were no file copy errors when I moved them off of the TriCaster to an external drive. I also compared the file sizes when I did this. The thing is the files didn't play using VLC on the TriCaster itself. I usually know there's trouble when VLC won't play something.

I suppose I could try putting these back on the TC to see if I get different results, but I am guessing that may be a waste of time transferring around 500 GB back and forth?

UK based Live Production
    sometimes a tricaster file comes out as the wrong length in premier but you can just drag it out to its full length within premiere - I know its a bug but as I know how to remedy I never really mention it.