Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanadrine Studios Tutorial Series: Lightwave Render Passes + Blender Compositing

Lightbulb Tanadrine Studios Tutorial Series: Lightwave Render Passes + Blender Compositing

This tutorial consists of 2 topics:

1) LIGHTWAVE: How to set up render passes using a free, open source plugin called Passport.

2) BLENDER: How to take advantage of Blender's robust compositing toolset to work with your Lightwave render passes.

While this is a basic-level tutorial, I am hoping it serves as a stepping stone for people who need some help with compositing. This tutorial assumes you know about PNG alpha channels.

Enjoy!

NOTES ABOUT PASSPORT:

-The render passes save with the scene. Under the hood I think the .lws files are generated as needed based on the current .LWS's data. You do still have the option to save out the individual pass .LWS files though.

-Sometimes the plugin can misread a scene's objects and give errors. Restarting Lightwave usually fixes this.

As a side note, one can use the Buffer Saver plugin to generate things like depth/specular passes pretty easily. This doesn't work with Passport, but I have still found it handy.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave
    IKB manual

nice tuts chaz
    thanks for the tips!

Great tutorial! Blender is the biggest LW plugin I found

Great tut, Ryan.

It goes to show how much power you can get from using Blender. The good thing about Blender Composite is that it works (generally) like Nuke, so you aren't learning things that you would have to unlearn (as in AfterFX).

Thanks!
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Will View Post
    Great tut, Ryan.

It goes to show how much power you can get from using Blender. The good thing about Blender Composite is that it works (generally) like Nuke, so you aren't learning things that you would have to unlearn (as in AfterFX).

Thanks!
    I did briefly try out after effects CS2 and its layer-based workflow just to take a look around, but I've since felt more comfortable with nodes as it makes more sense in my head. Dealing with a gigantic list of layers stacked on top of eachother can be hard to work with at times as someone demonstrated to me in a video screen sharing session some time back. I doubt I'll get nuke/fusion in the near future due to their extreme costs, but Blender makes a good substitute for those who just want basic compositing functionality. It is definitely slower, but it works and I hear you are guaranteed a 100% refund if you don't like it

...In retrospect, I do find it strange that after effects doesn't have some kind of node view option (that I'm aware of).
    IKB manual

cool tutorial, thanks for sharing!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/
    http://www.monster2u.com/
    http://www.f9render.com/
    http://www.greencustard.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post

...In retrospect, I do find it strange that after effects doesn't have some kind of node view option (that I'm aware of).
    I don't think this translates to how AE works. You can open up layer or have multiple windows open to view individual comps.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post

It does... but it is only a view mode. You can't do anything with the "nodes" other than see them. :shrug: But I think it gives them the check off. ;-)
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

Heffalump
    As an aside, PassPort Renewed does work with the new 11.x stuff and has an extensive array of settings compared to the previous versions.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....rt-Renewed-1-0

There should be no errors in the scene/object handling. You do need to refresh Passport's lists from time to time, but internally everything is based on the object ID in the scene file (not name) so any object replacement, etc. ought to track through the system. Where errors will always occur is if you stack overrides (multiple overrides on a single item). That's not supported.

I'd be very interested to hear any bug reports regarding Passport Renewed.
    Last edited by Phil; 06-27-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    As an aside, PassPort Renewed does work with the new 11.x stuff and has an extensive array of settings compared to the previous versions.
    This is awesome!

I noticed after upgrading to Lightwave 11 that while the version of passport I was using works, it only seems to be able to output EXR format images and none of the other image options show like they did in LW 9.6. I gave your version a try and it works great! I'll update the video links to reference your updated version, thank you! I'll be sure to send in any bugs I come across.
    IKB manual

Heffalump
    I think your link points to version 1.0. The latest is later in that thread : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ewed_1.0.5.zip
    Last edited by Phil; 06-27-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think your link points to version 1.0. The latest is later in that thread : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ewed_1.0.5.zip
    Fixed!

EDIT: Also, I would really like to see this plugin update put into the Lightwave plugin database. I PM'ed you the e-mail of the site's admin.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 06-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    IKB manual

Very nice tutorial Ryan!

Very nice tutorial! Thank you
    Gary Chike

Another thanks for the tut. I had some trouble with the plug-in initially but your video really helped. I'm not patient lately. I just want the (insert any object you want working) to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast