Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance issues with C4D in comparison with LW3D.

Performance issues with C4D in comparison with LW3D.

That's it has been lot's of talk about CineWare and the integration with After Effect we all know. I myself have been seeing the videos and enjoying. But I thought I could share a light
    in some performance issues with C4D.

I've been playing around with LW trial and C4D Demo and both software are really nice. Yesterday Cinema4DTutorial.net released a website with some free tutorials. I went there and I saw a very nice tutorial of the new batmobile. So a just downloaded it (http://www.cinema4d.ws/?portfolio=tu...obile-modeling).

Happy to see the result, I pop up my C4D and open the scene file "tumbler". Well ... talk about getting nervous.

I do know my system spec is not the best there is, but I do think it's fast and capable. I'm running an AMD FX Octa-core 3.1GHz with 16Gigs of Corsair Dominator RAM and SLI Geforce GTX 550Ti (4Gigs of RAM and 384 cudas). But for my surprise I can't even move the viewport. Talk about frustration.

But before I kick my CPU, I decided to export the car as an OBJ and pop it up LW. Now ... for selecting the whole can with polys or points, it takes a while, I admit. But I can navigate smoothly in the viewport of Layout or Modeler. I can even open VPR and see realtime rendering.

Since I'm learning with my mind thinking that in the future I should by one for my freelance work, it's rather disappointing such a poor performance in C4D and very intriguing the good performance of LW.

Just to let you guys know before thinking that C4D with CineWare is the best in the world (performance wise).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lw_realtime_preview.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	113496  

Interesting. I had C4d for a while ... but finally let it go because I couldn't keep up with the exorbitant renewal fees. And if you missed a couple versions, you'd have to repurchase the software at full price. A page out of Autodesk.
    Gary Chike

ive seen many issues between C4d and Lightwave, been using C4D for certain jobs (out of necessity rather than choice) and certain things it just can't match LW on, rendering glass and transparencies quickly is one of them. but on the flip side there are some things C4D does that i wish LW would
    Core2 duo 3.6 4gb ram GTX550 Ti
    dual Xeon Quad 2.26ghz 10gb ram,
    dual Xeon 6core 2.66 32gb ram HD5770

In the land of the blind the one eye'd man is king

Quote Originally Posted by chikega View Post
    Interesting. I had C4d for a while ... but finally let it go because I couldn't keep up with the exorbitant renewal fees. And if you missed a couple versions, you'd have to repurchase the software at full price. A page out of Autodesk.
    That's a real problem with C4D too. Since I purchased the student license, if I decide to go with the commercial version, I'll have a good discount on that. But for the performance, I haven't figure it out yet. Maybe the guy set the scene wrong, I don't know. I even downloaded the CINEBENCH, runned and thought I got some nice results. Go figure ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinebench_opengl.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	113497  

Quote Originally Posted by mike_stening View Post
    ive seen many issues between C4d and Lightwave, been using C4D for certain jobs (out of necessity rather than choice) and certain things it just can't match LW on, rendering glass and transparencies quickly is one of them. but on the flip side there are some things C4D does that i wish LW would
    Yes ... I know what you are saying. I think MoGraph it's the only reason for using C4D. But it's so cool. What I can't figure is why it's so slow in viewport performance. Of course today I make simple stuff, but the main goal is to improve and get more complex projects.

But from the apps I tested, I must say LW and C4D are the ones I feel more comfortable.

Arent you comparing wrong here, the main project file is what? cinema scene? and then you exported to obj?
    In all fairness you should then use the exported obj format in cinema with exact polycount as the one used in lightwave, and this will only give you the obj...just questioning
    the comparison if you had a cinema scene with all that comes with that.

So you are basicly comparing a cinema4d scene against just an obj, file in Lightwave..and that isnīt fair, If that is the case.

Michael

I would go to their website forum and post your issue. See if there is some system spec to change in C4D. For instance there are some settings in Modeler that will bring it to a crawl.

Just to be fair. I would make sure and check the situation out with the people most knowledgeable. It could be something pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Arent you comparing wrong here, the main project file is what? cinema scene? and then you exported to obj?
    In all fairness you should then use the exported obj format in cinema with exact polycount as the one used in lightwave, and this will only give you the obj...just questioning
    the comparison if you had a cinema scene with all that comes with that.

So you are basicly comparing a cinema4d scene against just an obj, file in Lightwave..and that isnīt fair, If that is the case.

Michael
    Yeah, I tried that. Even that it lagging a lot. I posted on CGSociety. Let's see if somebody answers it. All in all, thanks for the replies.

I've also downloaded the project file and don't have the problems you have. Tumbling and moving the car is fast. The I exported it as an obj an loaded into Modeler. Selected one poly on the front wheel and tryed to move - 2 seconds lag. Imported the obj in C4D and moved the same poly - instant and superfast.

Here's a video I've just recorded. You can see when mouse is clicked when the red/blue circles appear.
    tumbler.zip

System Information:
    Operating System: Win 7 64Bit German
    CPU Type: Intel Core I7-875, 3.2GHz
    Number of CPUs: 1 QuadCore
    RAM: 16GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 660TI 2GB
    Display Driver Version: 311.06
    Lightwave 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    I've also downloaded the project file and don't have the problems you have. Tumbling and moving the car is fast. The I exported it as an obj an loaded into Modeler. Selected one poly on the front wheel and tryed to move - 2 seconds lag. Imported the obj in C4D and moved the same poly - instant and superfast.

Here's a video I've just recorded. You can see when mouse is clicked when the red/blue circles appear.
    tumbler.zip

System Information:
    Lightwave 64bit
    that is a more correct comparison, from what Ivé heard..cinema4d should be much better to handle huge polyamount data than lightwave.

tumbler.zip

System Information:
    Lightwave 64bit
    I guess the differences in mine spec to your is mostly CPU and OS version. Your GPU is faster, but I do have 2 installed, so the differences should be minimal. Maybe I shall install Win7 and see how it handles.

tumbler.zip

System Information:
    Lightwave 64bit
    Yep, that matches my experience as well, C4D is _much_ better at handling/manipulating megapoly+ scenes than LW here. If I run into problems working with a scene in LW or (pre-701) modo, my normal workflow is to switch to C4D precisely because it plows through high-density scenes where both LW and modo have issues (again, referring to pre-701 modo, with 701 modo's highpoly perf is pretty similar to C4D, IME).

The OP might want to also check their display viewport settings and/or the display preferences. It certainly is possible to configure C4D in such a way that it performs horribly (just turn off 3D hw acceleration, for example) as is true with nigh-all 3D apps. On Windows, also make sure to use the 64-bit C4D not the 32-bit build (both get installed automatically).
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yep, that matches my experience as well, C4D is _much_ better at handling/manipulating megapoly+ scenes than LW here. If I run into problems working with a scene in LW or (pre-701) modo, my normal workflow is to switch to C4D precisely because it plows through high-density scenes where both LW and modo have issues (again, referring to pre-701 modo, with 701 modo's highpoly perf is pretty similar to C4D, IME).

The OP might want to also check their display viewport settings and/or the display preferences. It certainly is possible to configure C4D in such a way that it performs horribly (just turn off 3D hw acceleration, for example) as is true with nigh-all 3D apps. On Windows, also make sure to use the 64-bit C4D not the 32-bit build (both get installed automatically).
    Talk about looking like an idiot, right?

Just tried in my note and everything is fine. So there's something terribly wrong with my desktop. Damn.

Geforce GT 335M
    i7 Q740 1.73GHz
    6Gigs RAM
    Win8 x64

Thanks for your help guys. I think it's time to format or throw it through the window.

tumbler.zip

System Information:
    Lightwave 64bit
    Why did you try the 32 Bit version of the modeler? I mean, in the video you made is clear that you are using Modeler 32 Bit.
    You are basically using 3.5 GB RAM out of your 16 GB

Because it doesn't matter. Modeler32 occupies 500MB (vs 800 in 64bit) of RAM with this object loaded.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast