Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbsdown Move.me / Virtual Studio Tools / outside U.S? Think twice.....

If you're thinking about using the studio tools in Lightwave with the PS3 and you're outside the us, think again.

So, one of the reasons(if not the main one for me) that I bought/upgraded to LW 11 was the studio tools, wanted to use it to create interactive 'animations' of medical devices, and after reading the LW docs and seeing the SIGGRAPH demo I decided to upgrade to LW 11 and the only thing that is holding me back is the access/or lack thereof to this small app called 'move.me'. Looking at the PS3 website, it looked like a pretty straightforward process, all you need to do is just send an email and get the access code or something.

Now, this is where the story gets interesting...

The email found on the uk version of the move.me website[http://uk.playstation.com/moveme/] doesn't work - getting 550 error...there was another email in that 550 response that I wrote too - It seems that it belongs to one of the UK based project managers at Sony Europe....doesn't work either - 550 error[invalid recipient].

Went to the move.me subforum[http://community.us.playstation.com/...me/bd-p/22673] and it's empty...besides you can't even create a new thread - it's just doesn't work, firstly I thought that it must be something Opera related, but no it doesn't work in Chrome too..

I'm not angry,so far it's just funny, I'll try to contact anyone from Sony in the meantime using different methods, there must be someone that could help...I hope.

Anyway, I'll update this thread when I'll get lucky with getting access to the app.
    Whoever changed my signature...Yo Mom is so fat when she get a cut she bleeds milkshakes.

Newtek should develop an app for android instead of using the ps3.

This forum is annoying too, wrote a long message, hit reply...and it's gone FFS!

anyway, sent an email to Sony US, maybe they will be able to help somehow, there is also a http://www.technology.scee.net/map London divison which I'll try to contact in case the Sony Us won't be able to help out.
    Whoever changed my signature...Yo Mom is so fat when she get a cut she bleeds milkshakes.

Grr
    Last edited by 50one; 09-17-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: double post

Try this
    http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/periph...46165/Move-me/

BUT says only for Uni's & Research Affils
    NEWTEK should solve this!

The following is a workaround until Sony get their act together on the issue. Have an American friend (and hey there are loads here) buy a dollar PSN card to the value of Move.Me and tell you the numbers on the back. Then apparently you can go into your "local" PSN shop and purchase Move.Me because you are paying in dollars. It may be that you need to open an account with a US version of the PSN store, I don't know. I don't have a PS3 myself so I cannot tell you more, but that is what several people have done.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    FX-8350 x8 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (331.58) with 1344 CUDA cores, 16GB RAM
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97) with 192 CUDA cores, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 10.9 Mavericks

ianr - I work for the company that manufacture medical devices and this will be used for the medical research - besides we're working with local Uni too, so maybe it will be possible to get the license.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    The following is a workaround until Sony get their act together on the issue. Have an American friend (and hey there are loads here) buy a dollar PSN card to the value of Move.Me and tell you the numbers on the back. Then apparently you can go into your "local" PSN shop and purchase Move.Me because you are paying in dollars. It may be that you need to open an account with a US version of the PSN store, I don't know. I don't have a PS3 myself so I cannot tell you more, but that is what several people have done.

B

Hi, That sounds like a plan, I'll try this soon - Hey american friends, anyone would like to help out?

Speaking of Sony - unfortunately there's no way - I Repeat NO WAY of contacting the SCEE(Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) - there's no email(s), telephone numbers. nothing, nada - just an address in London, the only emails that I manage to find - don't work(error 550 - invalid recipient) bollocks!.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post

B
    Good idea - in the past I've acquired Japanese PlayStation 3 software via PSN simply by creating a new Japanese account. I assume this technique will work for move.me too. I can use the Japanese software from my non-Japanese base account, too.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

Just a little update to my post. You need to supply a US address as well. It doesn't need to be a real address since you won't be registering a bank card.

B
    Last edited by BeeVee; 09-17-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: confirmed
    FX-8350 x8 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti (331.58) with 1344 CUDA cores, 16GB RAM
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97) with 192 CUDA cores, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional

Thanks for the suggestions, gonna try this tommorow!

Yeah, not really a good idea to link a feature like that to a closed, proprietary device. What about the PS3 does the Virtual Studio really need? Access to its game controller? plenty of those for PCs...

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Yeah, not really a good idea to link a feature like that to a closed, proprietary device. What about the PS3 does the Virtual Studio really need? Access to its game controller? plenty of those for PCs...
    Yes, I aggree with you, but the freedom of movements is what I'm after, would be great to have the Kinect support inside LW...soon

BTW. I've been contacted by someone from SCEE(after sending dozens of emails to various addresses that I could find online - most of them didn't work...) so fingers crossed my application will go through, BTW> The email on the UK version of move.me app doesn't work at the moment like I said earlier on, and I've been told that someone is looking into this now.

Unfortunately, there isn't an alternative that offers the same degree of freedom. Things like the Razer Hydra are locked down too and are tethered as well. If you know of an alternative to the PlayStation Move I'm sure the LightWave Group would be very happy to hear about it.

B

Ahh, that explains some of the difficulties then. It isn't in Sony's or Microsoft's best interest for people that aren't into games to be buying and using these things (move or kinect) as they are loss leaders. It's the games that make them money (from licensing). The more units they sell to non-gamers, the less they make overall.

Ahh, that explains some of the difficulties then. It isn't in Sony's or Microsoft's best interest for people that aren't into games to be buying and using these things (move or kinect) as they are loss leaders. It's the games that make them money (from licensing). The more units they sell to non-gamers, the less they make overall.

Not true entirely, the person that i've spoken with regarding my application, told me that the move.me is currently available for academic research purposes only with the strong emphasis on physical therapy and/ or medical research. Still waiting for the news regarding my application tho...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast