Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

Maxwell Render 2.7 with native LW11 instancing support, grass and more!

Hello Maxwell friends, just a heads-up: NL released a new update of it's Maxwell engine, version 2.7.

The corresponding LW plugin was updated to version 2.7.4 and supports some new features:

* First of all, native LW11 instance placement is supported automatically, which is extremely useful. For older versions, the special maxwell instancer is still supported as a legacy method. In some cases it's still useful to have it in LW11 as well.

* The new Maxwell Grass is supported inside layout with Opengl preview. It can be added to any object as a custom Maxwell Grass object. Select the object (for example a terrain plane or surface), hit 'P', select the geometry tab and then "Add custom object" to select "MaxwellGrass". Double click and you get the the parameters control dialog for it. The settings and in general the way Grass works are best explained here in maxwells online help:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Grass

A grass shading material can be selected from the scene materials via a popup in the top of the Grass settings panel. This makes it possible to add a dummy object containing the actual grass shader material, as most of the time the surface on which the grass shader will be applied will use another material. This way it's also easy to create Grass presets as simple objects which are loadable to any scene as dummy objects.

* Another small, but very useful addition are texture adjustments inside the LayeredMaxwellMaterial shader. Just hit onto the 'A' inside the BSDF controls and you can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and clamp RGB values to a min and a max for the texture loaded in the slot left side. Thanks to Paolo for suggesting this one

* Other enhancements are the support of "3D Realflow "displacements and the support for custom bokeh camera parameters.

If you have any questions, bug reports etc, please report directly to the dedicated Maxwell Render plugin forum:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102

...usually you will get a prompt response!

Also, any feature suggestions are always very welcome

Cheers and happy rendering with LW + Maxwell

Markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 06-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.

removed...

an excellent release. I'm using it in production and i must say FIRE is kinda an Fprime, but with maxwell quality. Grass is utterly impressive, you can get grass or thick fibers in a snap. Pratically, what i would like to get from FFX
    Instacing support is just perfect, and the per-texture adjustment gives access to maxwell's materials power (before you had to save different texture versions since maxwell material cant read Image editor changes).
    An awesome engine, what i could say.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
    an excellent release. I'm using it in production and i must say FIRE is kinda an Fprime, but with maxwell quality. Grass is utterly impressive, you can get grass or thick fibers in a snap. Pratically, what i would like to get from FFX
    Instacing support is just perfect, and the per-texture adjustment gives access to maxwell's materials power (before you had to save different texture versions since maxwell material cant read Image editor changes).
    An awesome engine, what i could say.

Paolo
    Hi Paolo,

if i may ask, are you using maxwell on a single pc or renderfarm? if in single pc, what is your specs? i wanted to get maxwell but just worry about the render time and i only have one pc dell T7400 quadcore, 4gb ram. if you could suggest an excellent system that would be great. i am thinking to just render in maxwell under 3 or 2 hours only for my production works. thanks in advance.

JD

a first orientation is this page:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/benchwell

it's a very current database which was generated in the last week by the integrated benchmarking tool of maxwell 2.7.

you can do the test with the demo version of maxwell as well. but 3 h for a high resolution still of a complex interior are difficult to reach even with a top performing single CPU. it depends very much on the scene of course... an exterior with IBL illumination only is blazing fast, whereas an interior with lots of glass can take a long time to clean up. as an example, i'm rendering a high resolution natural sunlight and physical sky scene like the one attached, a housing scene which has a very detailed garden environment which is still detailed if zoomed, with 'zillions' of instances, at a 10k resolution nearly noise free in about 7-8 h on my small farm with 4 older macpro's with dual quad xenon CPU's (48 cores in total)... on the other side for an industrial design object shot with HDR lighting the same hardware setup would maybe need just 20 min for a 3K resolution image...

in general, maxwell is quite fast compared to an engine like LW when the scene is very complex, and if not too many emitters are involved. but remember, the engine is a light simulation engine, totally optimized first for no compromise highest image quality, and then for speed. means, not many speed shortcuts and render tricks are possible, take the highest quality or go with other engines like LW or kray which are more tweak-able. on the other side, with multi light, for day/night/ alternative lighting scenes you will just need to render once, as you can adjust lights in post...

cheers

markus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dworks_birdsview_120405.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	105256  
    Last edited by 3dworks; 06-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.

hi,
    this is my pipeline with maxwell:
    - i do everything into layout, you dont need Srtudio or anything else. I just launch FIRE to get a very fast preview - in some situations you wont find it slower than VPR. Limited region works so i finetune my setup into layout. My machine is a I7 970 with 6 gb.
    - when everything is OK, i use Send Job to network and in 2-3 clicks i've my nodes computing all together same picture. I can also call a preview at any time. I hope NT takes some inspiration from here, this is HOW a network solution must be. I have 9 node licenses, but usually i use 4 nodes (common I7 960 or higher) and i get 1200 pixel wide pics refined in few minutes. in 2-3 minutes you see already how's going, in 10-15 mins you get a preview which is acceptable for clients.
    - For final pics, you can use your network (i got 4000 wide pixel in 2-4 hours on 9 nodes) or send it to any renderfarm, you will get the MXI file (the image with multilight inside) in a very little time.

Paolo

has anyone got the rfrk to work with maxwell inside LW, and if so what are the steps, I have a null with the geometry custom object, maxwell RFRK Mesh, and I can see the particles, but when I do maxwellinteractive, I get an error pthreads.dll is missing, I have reinstalled both maxwell and the maxwell plugins. anyway, fire starts up, but is black. if I do a maxwell render, then it goes into maxwell render, and I can see the meshed particles. and they are red..

I just installed 2.7 before with 2.6 I didn't get an error, but it was still black in LW fire, and would show in maxwell render...

thanks
    Chris
    www.chriswellsfx.com My website is old. But has some tutorials. Also my opinions don't reflect my employer, they are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by wellsichris View Post
    has anyone got the rfrk to work with maxwell inside LW, and if so what are the steps, I have a null with the geometry custom object, maxwell RFRK Mesh, and I can see the particles, but when I do maxwellinteractive, I get an error pthreads.dll is missing, I have reinstalled both maxwell and the maxwell plugins. anyway, fire starts up, but is black. if I do a maxwell render, then it goes into maxwell render, and I can see the meshed particles. and they are red..

I just installed 2.7 before with 2.6 I didn't get an error, but it was still black in LW fire, and would show in maxwell render...

thanks
    Chris
    are you on mac or windows?

The object is red when rendering because you applied the plug-in to a null, which can't have a surface. Make a cube or some other simple object, apply a material to it, and assign the RFRK mesher plug-in to that. The cube will not be exported, it will be replaced by the mesher object.

To fix the DLL error, try copying pthreads.dll from the Maxwell installation directory to the Lightwave executables directory (the directory where Layout.exe or lightwav.exe are located, depending on the LW version).

I reported this to the developer, so he will look into any potential issues with this.

Please report further issues or questions, if possible, on NL's own support forums (here: http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102), so you can directly get into contact with the developers.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Markus

thanks for the help, that fixed a lot of things, but the rest I will report on NL site
    www.chriswellsfx.com My website is old. But has some tutorials. Also my opinions don't reflect my employer, they are my own.

Thanks a bunch for this info guys ... looks like I might update Maxwell to the latest version (have not touched it donkeys)

imo u get better grass using dpinstancer as cloner
    for those interested dpinstancer work with Mawell render. too.. and is more efficient than maxwell instancer plugin in term of use of memory resorses in OGL and have much more option for distributing clones
    ... same scene with maxwell instance system stuck my pc when atcivating in OGL ... but dont give any problem with dp instancer

Yeah this renderer looks like an awesome thing to have for just about anything, especially that Maxwell Fire render previewer. Plus you can adjust lights after you render, crazy!

How well does it work with displacements in lightwave? Is it like working with Kray or Fprime in this regard?

I'll probably be purchasing the learning edition and checking it out that way. Pretty exciting times!

Edit: It looks like the displacement is handled outside of lightwave which is a good thing I think. There are two methods, pretesselated (similar to lightwave I think) and on-the-fly.

http://support.nextlimit.com/display...ment+component
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 05-13-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.