Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Newbie Member

Rendering panel doesn't open in SE 2.5

I must admit I don't use Speed Edit a lot. The last project I did was updating my mom's birthday video last December which was done, originally, on a Toaster/Flyer system back in 1996. I need to do a Video next year for my Nieces High School graduation so thought I'd throw a few things together now just for fun. When I select 'Render" the system accesses the hard drive briefly and then .... nothing. "Render Still" opens a panel but Render does nothing. I did download 2.5 again and re-install but the same thing happens. Has anyone seen any thing like this or have any ideas what might cause it. As I said my next project isn't due for a little more than a year from now but I would like to get it working if possible. I could go back to 2.1 but I'd rather have the latest version work.

Yes. You're probably clicking render from the right click menu on your righthand screen. This was handled for most of us but supposedly there are some graphics cards that may react incorrectly... try reopening the program (you can only do it wrong once, after that you have to save, close & reopen the program) then click render on the left hand screen. Then you'll get your window. But never click render on the right hand screen.

Newbie Member
    Actually I'm selecting File>Render. I didn't know you could do it by right clicking. I've tried right clicking and doing render selected (which is what shows up on my main (left) monitor but it does the same thing as File>Render. The option isn't available on my second (right) monitor. I've tried playing it then selecting render and saving it then selecting render but neither work.

Hmmmm.

I dunno if this will work or not but if you go into preferences, make menu alpha setting up to 255, nothing less (meaning the menus will be fully opaque and not at all transparent), close program, reopen, and then try it again, this might solve it.

If not, I have to suggest reinstalling the program.

Newbie Member
    Thanks for the suggestions I did try it although all other panels open just fine (it didn't work). I have already done a re-installation without success. I guess the next step is to drop back to 2.1 and see if that helps.

BTW I'm running SE 2.5 on a Core 2 duo, 8 gig of RAM running Win 7 pro SP1 64 bit if that gives anyone any ideas.

Cnd

Sorry but I can not duplicate that problem here. Time to bug it and hope the NT techies can send you help in the N2DF...

Blog Entries
    Have you tried running SE2.5 in 'Vista compatibility mode'?

It does sound as though you've got some kind of conflict on your system, which could stem from anything.

If you want to use SE2.5 with Windows 7, you may want to try updating your graphics card drivers and possibly all other hardware drivers.

If worse comes to the worse, you could always do a clean install of Window 7 and re-install SE2.5 afterwards. That should definitively solve your problem.

Shabazzy

Newbie Member
    Ok. I actually had it working. I dropped back to 2.1 and the render panel opened. I uninstalled speededit than went and deleted anything I could find in the user directory and installed 2.5. The panel opened fine after that. Unfortunately I've had some issues with my firewall so I did a repair install on Win 7. After the install I needed to re-register SpeedEdit. Now when I try to start the render panel the program locks up. Before the cursor would spin for a couple of seconds and then I could do what ever I wanted with SpeedEdit (except render the project). I un-installed and went back to 2.0 but the same thing happens. This is the only program I'm having problems with and it is only the render panel that won't open. What is unique about the render panel?

Blog Entries

Reality check

You're not going to like this but it is practical advise.

Although you have a year before you have to produce your video, your options as I see it are like this:

1. spend a lot of time trying to trace the program conflicting with SpeedEDIT
    2. go through some short-term pain and do a clean install of Win 7 then re-install SpeedEDIT

Since the reality is that many people here are using SpeedEDIT 2.5 on (and I don't mean to infer that you don't have this. I'm just pointing out that cracked versions may be the problem here) a legitimate copy of Win 7 and don't have this issue. It does seem rather unique to you.

Option 2 is the way to go I'd say, since it'll clean your whole system in one swoop and give you a perfect starting point for fault diagnosis, if it's required. A hassle, I know, but worth it.

Shabazzy

I'm having similar problems here!
    Occassionally in the past something has been locking up SE 2.5. Right now I can't get Render to open because the program locks up and has to be crash stopped.
    I've tried deleting the Newtek info folder in order to be able to open existing files. Otherwise they lock up the program while opening. This often works for a while until I try to render.
    I guess I have to re-install SE again. I have updated the Display card drivers.
    I have Windows 7 Basic set for the displays. I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Repair or Uninstall???
    Which should I pick when this window appears while I am re-installing SE 2.5 ?
    I did it with Repair. Opened the new install, left all windows on one monitor, just as they initially open up. Loaded my project, opended the Render window... at least this time it opened. but as soon as I try to make any settings in it, the program locks up and has to be crash stopped.