Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Although i like this very much, radiosity splotches/leaks/shivering are still noticable. You need to play it few times to notice all 'coz it's cleverly hidden/distracted by fast movements of camera/light and all that. But as soon as you look arondn (not focus on great character work) window areas and walls more carefully there it is Lw splotchy thing . Render this scene at slower camera movements and it'll be even worse/more visible.

We need updates to GI creation .
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2690/64GB/Win8x64/660GTX
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Although i like this very much, radiosity splotches/leaks/shivering are still noticable. You need to play it few times to notice all 'coz it's cleverly hidden/distracted by fast movements of camera/light and all that. But as soon as you look arondn (not focus on great character work) window areas and walls more carefully there it is Lw splotchy thing . Render this scene at slower camera movements and it'll be even worse/more visible.

We need updates to GI creation .
    Yep, i really like the test and the animation is quite funny, but LW GI in this kind of situation is just a nightmare to avoid splotches/light leaks or you can have that if you can deal with astronomic render times !

Anyway, the test was fun nad it could end up to some sort of reveal of a new "super-secret" technique to have splotche-free interior GI renders with acceptable render times, so i'll stay tuned !

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette

RH:

Would it be possible for me to get this scene, exactly as it is, and throw some of my workflows into it?

Would be great for comparsion, if anything.

Cheers!
    Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel i7 970 "Hexa" 3.2GHz
    24GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB
    GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Windows 7 x64

Looking forward to seeing what a good solution is to use Lw character animation with radiosity.

GraphX
    Email:TProhl@nitelightanimation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Although i like this very much, radiosity splotches/leaks/shivering are still noticeable.
    using this technique will solve it, though rendertime doubles
    (but instead of changing the AA, change the samples a tiny-tiny bit)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEb-B_R-JaY
    (see the first minute of the video)

Render this scene at slower camera movements and it'll be even worse/more visible.
    for slow camera movement, use this one, works excellent(!)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zV7wHlPo38#t=1m50s

 
    Last edited by erikals; 03-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    using this technique will solve it, though rendertime doubles
    (but instead of changing the AA, change the samples a tiny-tiny bit)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEb-B_R-JaY
    (see the first minute of the video)

for slow camera movement, use this one, works excellent(!)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zV7wHlPo38#t=1m50s

 
    Neither of that will work for thing grass blades in Arch-Viz, Also light leaks/splotches aren't gonna be solved with this technique/post process filtering, so not really .
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2690/64GB/Win8x64/660GTX
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

grass is no danger as it's an exterior, so it renders fast, just pump up the AA.
    (also it's probably better to use cached) (are you sure Neatvideo won't solve it, i think it will, as it uses "subframes") (do you have a video i can test?)

splotches are more tricky, but works with the top method i posted.
    a problem however is that it can require major extra work if there is a lot of camera movement. (or light movement)

that said, what RH shows here is nice for NPR renders.
     
    Last edited by erikals; 03-05-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Using interpolated GI there will ALWAYS be flicker on mving "stuff"... its completely unavoidable. The question is, how much is enough to be seen. The demo shot here clearly still shows some... but u reli gotta look for it, and watch the clip on loop. If it were just a shot, in something or other, WITH textures, no way would it be noticed.

This particular technique cuts that balance between the flicker, and how noticable it is... but there's others that have different effects. My favourite, invloves pre-baking static illumination, and blending that with animated. It gives FAR less flicker in the same or less rendertime, and works with moving lights perfectly and moving/deforming objects really fast too.

Splotchies, a different but close linked issue, are easy tog get rid of in either stills or animations... basically up ur rays/reduce ur pixel spacing.

Tuts will be announced when they're ready.

As for the whole NPR thing... not at all... these techniques work just fine with photoreal stuff... but I only bother testing and demoing with basic as you need clean surfaces to be able to see for sure whats flicker, and whats not.

cheers.
    RHiggit Autorigger
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all
    /board Product support

here's a short lil grab of an alternate render (uncompressed). 9mins/frame, and I reckon it could be made to go faster.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RHiggit Autorigger
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all
    /board Product support

RH what's going on with the chair's and steps shadow? Look serrated. Anyway, it looks just as great. Light everywhere... :O

On another notice, I'm not sure if this happens only with me but every attached *.mov I click, it comes down has an *.html.
    While it's no big deal to just download it and change the extension, it stops one from just loading the *.mov and watch it without saving. Hopefuly is not something hard to fix.

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    The last one is very convincing, congrats !

As for the problem with .mov saving as .html i have the same problem on Mac OS X and Safari so that must be a problem on the board side, i think.

Anyway, keep up with those tests regarding animated GI, it looks like you have nailed some interesting technique !

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette

yes, the blocky shadows under direct lighting. THats just the fault of the extremey bright light, so the whites are way over white, thus non AAd fully... unless Id turn on limit dynamic range, which I didnt.
    RHiggit Autorigger
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all
    /board Product support

Purchased!

RH... check your PM...
    Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel i7 970 "Hexa" 3.2GHz
    24GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB
    GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Windows 7 x64

Definitely gonna buy this tutorial when I get some free time. No doubt it will be well worth it, given your past products. Thanks RH for continuing to innovate and explore LW and sharing your results!

I bought the vid, and it's worth it for some nice snippets of info on the subject.

The thing that drove me nuts until I realised it wasn't my fault, was LW currently doesn't know what format to save the Radiosity caches as. It seems to default to .cache files, but wants to save .cac files.

Anyway... thanks for the video tutorial.

Only thing I thought during it, was there wasn't enough examples of why other ways are incorrect, or why you shouldn't use them. For instance... I ALWAYS thought the cache on its own was there for animated cameras. Then the animated button was for when lights or objects were moving. Now, in your video you mention turning ON animated, for just a camera move I think... but give no reason as to why.

Also, I did a test using an animated cache of a spherical light moving around two objects, with Sun Sky by dpont too, moving around the scene, and it's completely stable using the animated cache as it is. No smearing of shadows etc... unless I don't understand what you meant Rebel?
    I was hoping there would be a mention of using the Radiosity on 1 ray brute force, and adaptive sampling in some situations too. This has got me out of some sticky situations in the past.

I'll upload a link to my test here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jn3...ature=youtu.be

Okay, YouTube compression ruins it... I'll upload the .wmv here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

TurboSquid Models

Desk:
    HP Z800, Dual Xeon X5650@2.67ghz, 16GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB

Lap:
    Dell XPS 15, i7 840QM, 8GB RAM, 2GB Nvidia 435M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast