Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FCP X vs SE2

FCP X vs SE2

Just watched a webinar preview and learned that Final Cut Pro X is not based on Quicktime, will not support log and capture as tape does not have metadata. It supports multiple sequences, similar to SE sub-projects. It has clip markers. It allows for clip connection and the timeline has no hard fixed tracks. Storyboards are available within complex clips. Sequence duration adjustments can be done with speed ramps. Subframe timeline accuracy is used for audio clips. Built in colour correction and automated colour balancing upon intake. Titling with animation.
    So far it seems that SpeedEdit does most of this, except for the timeline accuracy, metadata organization and 64bit. FCPX does look nice though ... if you have a Mac. Apple expects to sell a few million copies in the first year and it is meant to use along with FCP7 and not replace it.
    Newtek has obviously been ahead of developing some of these ideas. Apple is putting it's resources to marketing and expanding on the direction. Newtek could ride this wave for those on a Windows computer if they focus their marketing team on SpeedEdit.

Not based on quicktime?

I thought QT was apple's baby?

Friend of Prince of Space Ty Whitaker's Avatar
    Wow, that is amazing. Not Quick Time huh? I've been bragging about the no fixed tracks on the timeline in SpeedEdit/VT for years. They really are mining NewTek for ideas!
    Ty Whitaker
    Video Production Supervisor. MTSU
    ewhitake@mtsu.edu

i've been watching the final cut x webinar video. it sure looks good. except for the part where you have to buy a mac to use it.

It appears to me that Apple are aiming this at the digital SLR market and turning FCP X into a mass market product for $399 bucks it's cheap ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by digiview View Post
    and turning FCP X into a mass market product for $399 bucks it's cheap ?
    I can't see how Apple can turn it into a mass market product, since that would mean extending their software to non Apple customers and I don't see them doing that in my lifetime. So it'll always be a niche product.

Even if it is only for those with a Mac, they are still expecting to sell a few million. It is priced ($299) to be affordable to most of their cult.

I would call that mass marketing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    Even if it is only for those with a Mac, they are still expecting to sell a few million. It is priced ($299) to be affordable to most of their cult.

I would call that mass marketing.
    That depends on your understanding of market size and market share.

A million is much bigger than Newtek's market share and Apple is talking about closer to 5 million.

It takes a lot of promotion and marketing.... which Newtek is learning through promotion of Tricaster.
    It takes a price point that makes for a casual purchase.... $1000 for SpeedEdit seems a bit too expensive.
    It's a pity that all of those people that experience Newteks advert blitz and can't justify spending $40k on video gear, don't have the option of walking away with an inexpensive copy of Newtek's other product... SpeedEdit.
    Newtek should become more of an opportunist and get these folks to buy something while they have their attention.

Again, Apple has caught up to some of the features that SE has had for years (e.g. background rendering), and probably improved up many others...It will be interesting to see how the "old-dog-slow" editing speed of FCP matches up to SE.

SE should be being marketed as an entry-level branding application for NewTek. I would guess that the numbers of people (outside of the Tricaster crowd?) using it is a miniscule percentage of the NLE market, consumers and otherwise (VERY few pro editors know about it).

Move on it

This could be a good time for Newtek to make a move to get SE out to the pros...Most of pros seem not to like what Apple did with Final Cut X.
    The folks that use tape import and export feel abandoned because this app was really made just for card based footage. If Newtek would add batch capture to SE maybe they could get some new users who now feel that Apple sold them out.

I was about to buy FCP X for a mere $300 until I found out it needs the latest video card which would be another $300. Then there is the $50 application for rendering different formats (but not AVI) also Motion app for titling and keyframe effects for another $50.
    I have not figured out a workflow for using SE in conjunction with FCP X. AVI and MOV are living in different realms. SE doesn't create good MOV and FCP doesn't create AVI.

I hope Newtek keeps upgrading and improving SE.

I sit and wait for more reviews to come in about FCP X before making the leap

Our editors at work just got Final cut pro x and it is a really really big dissapointment...not made with professional editors in mind at all.

I will definitely be editing my next project coming up in speed edit 2..I hope it can handle the canon 5D footage well enough. Its really too bad that Newtek doesn't have more resources to use on speededit too go along with the Tricaster development...now really would be a good oppurtunity to grab the attention of a lot of dissapointed final cut users.

this will be my first serious HD project in speededit 2 and I'm interested to how well it handles it.

interesting how many complaints on FCP x... I downloaded it and i have an 2008 intel 8 core with a gforce 8800. seems to work very well.... I can scrub Hd footage unlike i can in SE....I love SE mind you.... but the more i take the time to find things in FCPx the more i like it...
    I suppose one thing would be nice is in and out points.... so far... I heard that they are going to be adding a few things to it in updates so we'll see.
    I have not done a full project in it yet as far as out to Encore for making my DVDs... And using Motion to edit the DVEs and effects is really cool...
    I know some complain probably because its not what they were thinking it would be but as it is its pretty nifty.....
    PS. hopefully ill be saying that next week too!!!!
    thanks, my 2 cents.
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

Blog

This is a good blog that explains Final Cut X
    http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/w.../archives/1505

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast