Thread: Measuring distance in layout

Top Dog

Measuring distance in layout

I am trying to find a technique or plug where you can measure the arbitrary distance between objects in Layout, similar to the Measure Tool in Modeler. I saw an old link on Flay to the plug beh_measure, which sounded like it may do the trick. I would also like to measure angle, etc.

Not sure about angle but I found this:
    http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=645
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Top Dog
    Awesome, works like a charm (and with LW10 Mac to boot). Thanks! I've always did a very clumsy thing to find this info in the past. I am always happily surprised at all the clever folks who create LW plugs and Lscripts.
    Last edited by wesleycorgi; 12-21-2010 at 06:52 PM.

For distance, you can always use the Range Finder Custom Object set up on one of two nulls (for example), then just position the two nulls where you want the start/end points to be. Range Finder will display the distance in current scene units in the viewport...

There is another Custom Object call Protractor which is OK if all you want is an eyeball estimation of angle, but unfortunately doesn't provide a means to give a precise readout.

Top Dog
    Thanks! That's even better. It's a bit more interactive to use Range Finder and I can get a more accurate measurement from specific points.

I also like how you can draw a link. I'm embarrassed of how I've been using LW for several years and continue to find how little I know!

is this for mac as well? I have 9.6. Is this a default plug in the newer version of LW?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

I forgot existence of Range Finder completely. Cool feature.

Top Dog
    Yes, it works for me (I use Mac version of LW): both Range Finder and the plug Nick suggested. There are some nice features in Range Finder; I can't believe I haven't used it all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcomposer View Post
    is this for mac as well? I have 9.6. Is this a default plug in the newer version of LW?
    yes