Thread: Modeling Shader

Modeling Shader

In order to stop hijacking Sampei's thread (sorry mate) i decided to make one of my own in the correct subforum

I was trying to achieve a Nodal Tree that would render a surface wihout shadows and would be good to demonstrating a modeling work. This attempt is not towards realistic shading, but to enphasize the surface's bends, inflates, etc.

Dpont's Curvatures Node is really nice for this, since it adds info to the render, that Ambient Occlusion (using SG_AmbOcc) alone, can't give. I think AO, alone, can be quite decieving and poor many times, and Curvatures brings every bit of change in the surface to the light. (even stuff we wish it was hidenn )
    Also, mild colors might do a better job than the usual pure black and white.

MAUROCOR kindly let me use his model, Hulk2010, for this porpuse. Thank you. This mesh is nice for this, since it has so many detail and it's dense, so Curvatures shading will work better (but slower though).
    So again... Here is another example and a breakdown.

Ambient Occlusion - Dirt shading. it's great to give a lightning sensation but poor for surface details.
    Curvatures - Takes into account very detailed surface bends. But can look very raw.
    Incidence and Phong(Specular)- Added so there's shading according to the Point of View.

Surface Preset and Video "Turntables" attached \/.
    After the Curvatures caching, the renders were quite fast. 1.8s/per frame for Curvatures and 9.2s/per frame for Final Look. No GI, no Raytrace.

->Is there a shader/material that already does this? many of them look like compositions of more simple shaders. Sure this is not new and reminds me of some metal objects or statues renders.

After a while i thought:
    CORE will have SSAO. Incidence and Specular are already in LW Clasic. Why not a Cuvatures OGL Shading?
    The Curvatures Node takes a bit to cash with dense meshes but there could be some optimization. Well with Zbrush and other i guess there is already something like this.
    It could be nice to have such a OGL shader to evaluate the objects in the modeling process. For fun... a collage

I don't know if this relates to cavity mapping, but while i was looking for it i also i found this article and found it very interesting
    the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRkyG3R-eI
    the article http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/SSDO.pdf

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by probiner; 05-16-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Great idea! reminds me of some of the Zbrush materials..

awesome work dude (Mauro's hulk is one badass model to show off your shaders), but all your hijacking so far has been constructive, hence it's much appreciated. Keep it up

That's a really nice shader effect, I may have to look into that node!

Mauro's model is just great for this. With lower resulotion models and sloppyer modeling i think the results aren't so great.
    Here's a render to compare to the first post, where Curvatures was removed from the Node Tree. So much detail is "lost".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulk_no curvatures.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	85020
    (I now use a version where i milded the Incidence shading down. But this still uses the same)

I played around with "After Deformations" option, using an animated Displacement, and the RAM usage was an issue.
    It seems that all the info the Node keeps is stored in RAM and so after it renders a frame it doesn't release that info from the RAM, leading to LW crash. So i guess for now is just suitable for stills and with a density limit.
    I don't know if Denis can improve this, or even if there is any interest in it.
    Anyway modeling with such a shader could be interesting.

I followed the algorithms author name, Szymon Rusinkiewicz, and found this and looks like there are more methods.
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs..._ECA/index.php

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by probiner; 05-21-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Cool animation. For speed you'd probably want to bake the texture out to a UV map, but for stuff like that, you couldn't - and it's why interactive/live shaders like that are really cool, as they can be generated on the fly, and don't take up a tonne of memory!