Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Character_concepts

those last two are splendid Trevor, I especially like the old man...I hope you can find your dream job soon, I think you certainly have the skill

Thanks Sampei.

Another piece i'm currently working on.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

An update from my previous char sketch.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

very nice colors, the golden stripes on the dress are lovely ! although I do find her facial fetures a bit angular...by the way, do you reference the pose in any way ? I still have a lot of trouble with perspective especially from strange angles, so i was considering buying one of these wooden mannequins do you think it would help out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sampei View Post
    very nice colors, the golden stripes on the dress are lovely ! although I do find her facial fetures a bit angular...by the way, do you reference the pose in any way ? I still have a lot of trouble with perspective especially from strange angles, so i was considering buying one of these wooden mannequins do you think it would help out ?
    I think it's great that Trevor is working steadily on developing some images, however I do agree a bit with her look.
    Trevor what are you saying with her out stretched limp wrist?
    What about making it more forceful, pointing with dynamic fingers?
    Her face is a good start though she seems to not have an expression, work out what emotion she has.
    Finally pay attention to the material at the bottom of her dress it looks cut off.
    May be her foot would push it out further to support her outstretched arm.

I have thought about getting a mannequin but it will still be hard to make use of IMO
    without some figure drawing experience.
    Currently I go to two Life drawing and two portrait sessions a week.
    It's pretty bloody tiring but I have noticed a real change in my drawing
    and a change in how I view images that I didn't expect.

And don't expect these things to have any real change for some time.
    It's all long term stuff but worth it.
    Looking forward to seeing more drawings from Trevor

Thanks Sampei.

Yes, I use reference from many sources. I presume being that you are on the Lightwave forums you have Lightwave
    That's a very powerful tool right there at your disposal for setting up rigged simple characters, for posing and for hard to solve perspective and foreshortening problems. Its also a good tool for experimenting with lighting set ups.
    I also like to augment my studies with either photo ref or if possible life.
    If you have a partner or friend around your home, make use of them by asking then to pose for you I'm always getting my wife to explore pose possibilites for me. Like on that last piece I did, I wrapped a sheet around her and took photos in the pose I wanted for clothing and folds reference.
    Failing that you always have yourself to reference from, use a mirror or take photos.

As for a wooden mannequin, yes they are useful for figure construction and real world lighting conditions. You can easily study how light effects the forms on a mannequin because its basically cylinders and spheres.

I would stress though no matter what reference you use, try not to get locked into it. Use your reference wisely and construct your figures using the ref as a guide. If your mind is actively trying to solve a drawing rather than slavishly copying a phot ref, then you are learning in the process.

Pretty soon you will build up a mental library to draw from, but you must study subjects from ref first to build that knowledge.

My latest character

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by drewblit View Post
    I think it's great that Trevor is working steadily on developing some images, however I do agree a bit with her look.
    Trevor what are you saying with her out stretched limp wrist?
    What about making it more forceful, pointing with dynamic fingers?
    Her face is a good start though she seems to not have an expression, work out what emotion she has.
    Finally pay attention to the material at the bottom of her dress it looks cut off.
    May be her foot would push it out further to support her outstretched arm.

:
    Thanks Drewblit.

I was going for effortless conjouring I did try a more tense hand but personally didn't like it. Im always trying to capture subtlety and elegance rather than dramatic in my personal pieces. Something I will continue to work on
    Thanks for your feeback, its useful.

I would love to see some of your work from life drawing if you have any you are happy to share.

I currently am working on commission, 2 characters. Thats a differnt ball game trying to nail 2 characters in my clients head. I love the challenge of that and its making me explore things I wouldn't normaly do.
    Last edited by Trevor; 03-30-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

thanks for the great advice guys, I've currently finished an evening life drawing class and attending a life drawing club once a week, I try to draw as much as possible (on the train ect.) and also studying anatomy and perspective from books..however my 3d training takes up pretty much 95% of my time, but I still really like getting my hands dirty whenever I can
    anyway, I'm really liking the sandy texture on that head, I guess you make your own custom brushes ? digital painting really appeals to me, but I think I need to master old school drawing before I start getting into it !
    oh and drewblit, I would also like to see some of your work

An update on my progress. Still working on 2 characters I have been commissioned to design. I will be able to show them when finished.
    I always end my day with sketches of characters. I'm itching to get the best of those scanned to work on them in digital paint, which I will do after finishing up this job.

I'm also still studying the human figure as much as I can.
    Here is a one hour tonal study from photo reference.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Finally got done with these two characters. Not the sort of characters I would normally do but I sure did enjoy designing them. The client was very happy with them so thats all that matters.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Sure was fun painting this guy for myself after doing human characters.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

great stuff, I especially like the first figurative study of the girl.
    One thing I'm not sure is the proportions of the girl character, the legs look a tad long. But what's important is that the client like it

Yikes ! That character reads as a female, wasn't meant to be. It was the one thing I was worried about taking on that job, because the description was a guy with delicate features and long hair with an origin of Asian/Caucasian half-bred mix, something I knew would be hard to nail. I kindof thought I pulled it off, but obviously not.

Another character sketch. Just a bit of fun here, Frankenstein's monster.
    Victor where are you? I need a repair job.lol

Last edited by Trevor; 04-12-2010 at 04:30 AM.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

woops! well that was my very first impression, but now that you told me he makes a lot more sense !

Still working at it.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast