Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Character_concepts

Character_concept_sketches

Hi all.
    I have been enjoying the sketches uploaded here, so I thought I would share some of my own.
    These are just quick rough character concepts.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-19-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

nice images , I love the style , i could never draw like that .
    I enjoy the way everyone has a different approach to drawing .

love your forest sprint , CLASS!

I like the first row a lot. Very Giacometti.
    Have fun!

Thanks for your comments guys.
    I spent the last decade learning Lightwave, neglecting my painting and drawing skills somewhat, which is where I started before 3d. So this year I wanted to focus back to drawing and painting.
    Here is an armour study I finished up today.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Good on you Trevor, nice sketches. Last year I went back to life drawing and portrait painting after more than two decades of 3D. it's hard but well worth it. I'm still rubbish but I can see an improvement. Great for the soul and analyzing what works in images.
    Mr T might have said...
    I PITY THE POOR FOOL who don't use THEN or THAN right!!!
    THEN = Temporal, Subsequently or soon afterward; THAN = Conjunction used in comparatives, "taller than me"

Thankyou Drewblit.
    My imagination and ideas are bigger than my ability to paint them in a convincing manner!
    With that in mind, i'm studying to paint different materials. I put 3 hours into this frog study, I figured it would be beneficial for creature type characters.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-06-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Thankyou Drewblit.
    I put 3 hours into this frog study, I figured it would be beneficial for creature type characters.
    Hey that looks great. I hadn't really thought doing studies of creatures like that. It makes a lot of sense for creature/character reference. I think I may look and doing something along those lines, so keep going Trevor.
    Mr T might have said...
    I PITY THE POOR FOOL who don't use THEN or THAN right!!!
    THEN = Temporal, Subsequently or soon afterward; THAN = Conjunction used in comparatives, "taller than me"

Thanks again Drewblit.
    I worked on some medieval costume stuff today. Two birds with one stone with this one, practice painting folds in cloth, with some conceptual crest and colour ideas.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

cool stuff, love the frog. I very recently started training myself properly in art (mostly pensil and charcoal/chalk) and regret I didn't start earlier, im loving it
    looking forward to new pieces, even quick sketches

Great work Trevor,
    The frog painting for 3 hours is terrific
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

Quote Originally Posted by Sampei View Post
    cool stuff, love the frog. I very recently started training myself properly in art (mostly pensil and charcoal/chalk) and regret I didn't start earlier, im loving it
    looking forward to new pieces, even quick sketches
    Cool, keep at it. As much as I like digital work you just can't beat the feedback from real materials, better on your eyes too, staring at a monitor all day can't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
    Great work Trevor,
    The frog painting for 3 hours is terrific
    Thankyou.

An update on this guy.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Here is a female character concept. My first sketches were not working for me. The first one is like, look mum I found a sword The second was better, there is a little attitude in there but not what I was going for.
    The third one was more like it so thats the one I started to render.
    I was going for a calm inner strength.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

V cool!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/
    http://www.monster2u.com/
    http://www.f9render.com/
    http://www.greencustard.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Thanks cresshead.
    I find myself at the moment like most artists I guess, struggling that line between what I actually want to draw and paint and what the entertainment industry wants, or worse what I think it wants! I havn't figured that out. Trends in art elude me.

My dream job would be a concept artist, with that in mind I have been working on vehicle design, enviroments, creatures and characters. I am trying to get better and faster with every waking hour I have free to achieve that goal.

Mailman portrait.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

A new character I have been working on. I am experimenting with new styles in an effort to move away from a digital painted look.

Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast