Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Work Flow

Work Flow

So what's your work flow?
    I'm doing basketball and I'm finding the thing awkward to use. I started out marking out points then <ALT><GoToIn> but find that he key strokes are awkward and that jumping back four seconds at once is disorienting, making it difficult to figure out where I am in the play. So I've switched to just hitting stop then -2 twice or thrice. This works better but doesn't leave a highlights "trail" in the playlist.

I think I'm going to build some macros for an xkey pad and leave the 3Play controller at home.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC 855, TC 40, 3Play 4800, TC8000

Sorry, I don't think I'm correctly following your description, Jeff - maybe you can clarify for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    I started out marking out points then <ALT><GoToIn> but find that he key strokes are awkward and that jumping back four seconds at once is disorienting, making it difficult to figure out where I am in the play.
    There's no "GotToIn" button on 3P-10, so I guess you mean "Alt + MarkIn"? Even then I'm not clear.

It seems like your marking method was to press "MarkOut" from time to time as play progressed? Since you don't mention using MarkIn presumably this creates a trail of 4 second long replays in the playlist. Marking in this method would not interrupt live throughput. Pressing Alt + MarkIn (without backing up the play position (by one or another means) would reset the In Point for the active replay to the current time. It would not jump you back 4 seconds.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this approach might be, but no doubt that's because I'm missing something in your steps.

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    So I've switched to just hitting stop then -2 twice or thrice. This works better but doesn't leave a highlights "trail" in the playlist.
    I am not sure how using Stop as a marking tool would not be be disruptive (since it will also stop live throughput). In addition, pressing Stop would only mark an Out Point if you had previously performed a MarkIn, so again I'm having difficulty following your 'workaround'.

This is all some distance from a "Tips and Tricks" thread, though - maybe if we could get it cleared up it might be (or perhaps a Feature Request) - so please feel free to email me so I can get this straight in my head and try to help, Jeff.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

OK I wrote that from home and I didn't have the controller in front of me. Its <ALT> <'Stop'> (The front of my stop button is labeled "GOTO IN") that jumps to the InPoint.

My real problem is it is difficult to press these two keys simultaneously with my right hand because of there location on the controller. It's More or less an ergonomic issue.

Using the stop button does disrupt the output but that's OK 'cause we are feeding into input four on a TC Studio with the cameras looped through to inputs one through three. But it doesn't cause hand cramps.

This is why I was inquiring how others are using the 3Play because every way I've tried just seems harder than it should, and the controller is ill suited for use during fast action. For football I can see how it would work well but most of the time during a basketball game the operator only has a second or two to get the replay set up.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC 855, TC 40, 3Play 4800, TC8000

Purdue Technologist vanderwielen's Avatar
    Jeff, I leave the Tbar at Zero, then hit the LIVE button. When I see something I want, I hit -2 3 times then grab the t-bar and move it up. afterwards, reposition the tbar back to zero and hit live again. note: when live is active and you hit -2, it stops the playout...and pauses. I move the Tbar as the director is affecting a wipe.

for a clip store, i simply hit mark out as soon as a can. typically, this is sufficient to get a highlight put in the clip store with the correct starting point (basketball).

a hugely missing feature, which should take a nano second to write, is to allow you to specify the clip length in setup when you hit mark out. basketball needs to be 6 seconds to be comfortable.

warning: even with the newest build, the unit will eventually lock up if you grab the jog wheel and give it a good move. the very very first beta build worked fine. it has not worked since.

BTW, i figure i've just put in my 200th 3 play production. i never use mark in...it's somewhat worthless in my workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
    a hugely missing feature, which should take a nano second to write, is to allow you to specify the clip length in setup when you hit mark out. basketball needs to be 6 seconds to be comfortable.
    Agreed.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Twice agreed
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ

I make stuff work....www.pizazz.com

Gear Used:
    TriCaster: All + 3Play 820 & 425
    Cams: Panasonic HPX370
    Cabling: Tac2 Fiber/ATEM convertors

How hard to learn?

I have a Tricaster Broadcast.
    I was wondering how hard is the 3play to learn.
    Starting in January, I will be in a different city each of 9 weeks. If I hire a local in that city to run the 3 play will they be able to learn it the day before the event?

Or maybe I am better off finding a 3play and operator in each city who already is very familiar with it.
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by edmellnik View Post
    I have a Tricaster Broadcast.
    I was wondering how hard is the 3play to learn.
    Starting in January, I will be in a different city each of 9 weeks. If I hire a local in that city to run the 3 play will they be able to learn it the day before the event?

Or maybe I am better off finding a 3play and operator in each city who already is very familiar with it.
    Ed
    Ed

Shoot me an email. I might have some information and contacts for you to help with your project.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ

I make stuff work....www.pizazz.com

Gear Used:
    TriCaster: All + 3Play 820 & 425
    Cams: Panasonic HPX370
    Cabling: Tac2 Fiber/ATEM convertors