VT5.2 and LC11 Overlays

Kevin_Slark

Hello,

Unless I'm misreading the manual entirely and tech support is wrong, I've found the upgrade to a LC-11 and LiveText utterly useless for live production.

What I really want is for DDR1 and DDR2 buttons on the LC-11 to select DDR1 and DDR2 and TXT AND/OR EXT to be assignable to iVGA or Title Templates or CGPlayer.

I use VT for a live broadcast of a church's worship service and having multiple ways to get CG's in without having to touch the keyboard and mouse would allow for the TD to control the usual chyrons (lower third banner for who's at the pulpit, etc.) and the LiveText operator to drop in hymn lyrics for the TD to key in on cue.

Quite frankly, I find the lack of functionality of LC-11 overlays with VT[5] quite a big disappointment. In the event I had realized this issue (along with others) before making the purchase I would have looked into alternatives. Combined with the streaming issues that I'm having and there being fewer outputs on the SX-SDI than I was lead to believe, I have not actually gained anything over VT[4.6].

If NewTek can make it work for the TriCaster, why not VT[5]?

If you're wondering why I don't just go to the Tricaster Broadcaster and forget about VT altogether, my SX-84 has every input and output used for something, meaning that the Tricaster doesn't support all my gozintas and gozoutas.

I sincerely hope that NewTek finds this an easy issue to correct, I mean, the code exists somewhere, right?

Thanks,
Kevin Slark

I don't think I'm following you, Kevin. What is it that TriCaster does that isn't working as smoothly with VT[5]?

Paul,

On the LC-11 you have the "overlay" section of buttons. They are labeled "DDR1", "DDR2", "TXT", and "EXT". From what tech support and the LC-11 manual have told me, you are able to assign which ever DSK source you want to these buttons on the LC-11, allowing you to take and fade different DSK sources with ease when using Tricaster.

In VT[5.2], according to the switcher, DDR1 selects iVGA, DDR2 selects the first DDR, and TXT and EXT have no function. As the LC-11 and VT[5.2] currently function it is impossible to have more than one overlay selectable without using the mouse and keyboard. What I want to be able to do is to assign the buttons on the LC-11's DSK bus to select different sources. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Kevin

Quite frankly, I find the lack of functionality of LC-11 overlays with VT[5] quite a big disappointment.
With the few UI variations noted in the docs, I'm really not sure why. It works pretty much the same on my VT as my TCS.

VT's Switcher with SX-84 offers more variations than TC, but it you configure the button order to match, it works nearly identically. What specifically do you think you can do on TC that you can't on VT?

In VT[5.2], according to the switcher, DDR1 selects iVGA, DDR2 selects the first DDR, and TXT and EXT have no function.
As the LC-11 manual states (note the underlined bit):

"The order of source selections on VT5’s Switcher is user-configurable. In fact several base Switcher skins are provided which are quite different from one another.

Thus the order of video source selection buttons in the Switcher section on your LC-11 will almost certainly be different initially than your VT[5] display.
The hardware buttons always control the first 11 Switcher buttons.

To avoid confusion, you may well decide to adjust the sources in the software Switcher to match the button order on the LC-11. (You can even rename these onscreen if you like)."

Steve,

I must be missing something. What I'm trying to do is to have the "DDR1" and "DDR2" buttons on the LC11 select DDR1 and DDR2, TXT select Title Templates, and EXT select iVGA for LiveText.

My understanding from the LC-11 manual and NewTek tech support is that it is not possible with VT[5.2] as the functionality is not present in the software.

Cheers,
Kevin

What I'm trying to do is to have the "DDR1" and "DDR2" buttons on the LC11 select DDR1 and DDR2, TXT select Title Templates, and EXT select iVGA for LiveText.
Yep.

My understanding from the LC-11 manual and NewTek tech support is that it is not possible with VT[5.2] as the functionality is not present in the software.
I can't speak for Tech Support, but what part of the manual seems to indicate to you that the EXT, DDR1 and 2 and TXT buttons in the Overlay group on LC-11 do not work properly?

Kevin I think I know what you're talking about. On the overlay side of the LC11 there are 4 buttons to switch from DDR1, DDR2, TXT, and EXT for the DSK of the VT5. I am in the same boat as you I believe. I want to reporgram it so TXT will goto my CG PLay and for the EXT will go to DDR3. I have no idea how to do this, but I believe you and me are looking for the same thing.

m4a2000, that's exactly what I want to do.

Steve, according to section 3.3.3 of the LC-11 manual the DDR1, DDR2, TXT, and EXT buttons should have their default function set to the DDR1, DDR2, Title Template, and iVGA modules. In practice, DDR1 selects iVGA, DDR2 selects DDR1, and the other two buttons do not function.

Sylvia with Tech Support emailed me the instructions for troubleshooting the USB driver, I followed those instructions and nothing changed.

Also, the FTB button and Joystick B do not function, but that's a different story for another day.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:
m4a2000, that's exactly what I want to do.

Steve, according to section 3.3.3 of the LC-11 manual the DDR1, DDR2, TXT, and EXT buttons should have their default function set to the DDR1, DDR2, Title Template, and iVGA modules. In practice, DDR1 selects iVGA, DDR2 selects DDR1, and the other two buttons do not function.
Well, having tested it here just now, my LC-11 works nearly perfectly with my VT.

Clicking EXT in Overlay (and Take Overlay, of course) puts whatever I have selected in ivGA (LiveText, as it happens) on the screen over the program output. DDR 1 and 2 both work the same way.

The Overlay section TXT button is not working (works in TC), although the TXT knob does address the Text Template module just fine (afaik, TXT is not intended to support the CG Player, which TC does not have ... though I expect a clever fellow could figure that out with some effort), and the Switcher row TXT button on the LC-11 works as expected.

I'm not sure if this (the Overlay>TXT button failure) is a bug or something haywire with my installation, which is a bit of a mess. I'll look into it further , but maybe we'll hear from some others too.

I am in the same boat as you I believe. I want to reporgram it so TXT will goto my CG PLay and for the EXT will go to DDR3. I have no idea how to do this, but I believe you and me are looking for the same thing.
Actually, I think you are in a different boat! ;)

Kevin wants the LC-11 to work as described in the manual. You want something else actually. The LC-11 is not intended to control the CG Player, and it explicitly does not address more than the first two DDRs (I'm certain this is in the docs).

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a very clever fellow could work those changes out - but it won't be me I'm afraid.

Also, the FTB button and Joystick B do not function, but that's a different story for another day.
FTB seems to be busted on my system at least, but Joystick B works just as described in the manual. I'll try a fresh install of the current release on the weekend if I can find time, and try again. If the FTB and Overlay>TXTbugs are consistent, I'll report them.

Steve,

Here's what I've done. I reset my VT[5.2] configuration and started from scratch. From a fresh desktop, the switcher automatically considers iVGA to be on the LC-11 button labeled "DDR1." I have LiveText connected and the LC-11 excutes "Fade Overlay" and "Take Overlay" as it should.

I then opened the Text Template and it performed "Fade Overlay" and "Take Overlay" as expected, but I could not assign it to a DSK button on the LC-11 using the switcher. I then opened DDR1 and DDR2, which were assigned to the buttons DDR2 and TXT, respectively. The EXT button on the LC-11 still will not light up for me, regardless of what modules I have open.

For what its worth, I'm running VT[5.2b] on Windows XP 64-bit on a HP xw8600 (dual 3.16Ghz Xeon quad cores, 4GB of RAM, dual Nvidia Quadro FX1700's, 250GB boot drive, and 2TB in the RAID).

Cheers,
Kevin

Here's what I've done. I reset my VT[5.2] configuration and started from scratch. From a fresh desktop, the switcher automatically considers iVGA to be on the LC-11 button labeled "DDR1." I have LiveText connected and the LC-11 excutes "Fade Overlay" and "Take Overlay" as it should.
Did you do this: "To avoid confusion, you may well decide to adjust the sources in the software Switcher to match the button order on the LC-11"??

i.e., set your switcher buttons up something like the image below:

Attachments

• vt_switcher.jpg
    vt_switcher.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 377
Steve,

I have moved the inputs around on the software switcher several times and in every possible logical arrangement all to no avail.

Thanks,
Kevin

Well, I'm stumped Kevin. I'd submit a detailed bug report (do a search hear for "fogbugz" to find a link if you don't have it). Include VT build, and screenshots are helpful. I'll try to look further into this on my system on the weekend.

The problem with the LC-11 is the the buttons came with the key caps in the wrong order. Changing the caps to proper order as shown in the manual helps. HOWEVER, the TXT button still does not work. Ext, DDR1 and DDR2 will select the proper sources.

I think QC is lacking.

The last mention I can find of the outside overlay button not working is here in this thread, 6 months old. Has anyone actually submitted this to tech support and heard anything about it?

Back