Virtual Production Stages and LightWave3D.

djlithium

Been researching stages and whatnot here on the west coast of North America lately. It's interesting what you can find in the LED volume space now. This spot is massive and here in Las Vegas. There are actually two volumes here now, this one being the bigger of the two with 1.9mm PP for screens. I'm dropping by the place next week to talk to the owners and see if it can be used for various VP projects which currently is not their primary area of business operations (the other stage that I know of here, does that but its screens are not as high res, but still suitable for a lot of lower to mid level work in this field). Needless to say, it would be really awesome to see an update to LightWave3D and the Unreal Bridge to iron out some oddities and have it running with the latest and greatest versions of Unreal. If you are looking for work and you have one of these stages near you, I would suggest reaching out to them even if you are not totally "with it" in terms of Unreal knowledge. One of the things I have found in my research is that while there are a decent amount of Unreal engine operators floating around, very few of them have that fundamental VFX knowledge in areas of lighting, shot composition, modeling, surfacing, animation, interchange, etc. That's an opening for LightWavers working with the Unreal Bridge
1620883407142.png

When I got see the place in person I will take photos and videos and stuff and post back.

For sense of scale. The slits in the floor are actually tracks which allow the thing to "move" an entire section (180 out of the 360 degrees this thing is) out of the way so you can load gear, vehicles, you name it. Thing is a BEAST!

Attachments

• VPStageLasVegasFromTheBack.JPG
    VPStageLasVegasFromTheBack.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 333
I want one in my room.

And also, maybe this could transform to the "New cinema" entertainment

But perhaps simple virtual googles will do.

I want one in my room.

And also, maybe this could transform to the "New cinema" entertainment

But perhaps simple virtual googles will do.
Back in the dark ages some fx were done by projecting (film) images on a screen and shooting images of that with models in front. Saw a few student films where the backgrounds were projected images or projected movies. Have wondered about video projectors or one of the 4K or 8K 70" + tv's as a background. Ya, still doesn't quite fully put the actor there in a 360 visual thing.

I have a lot more photos including some video that I shot. If anyone wants to see, let me know and I will upload them.

Just some explanation of the photos above. The stage is set up in such a way that 180 degrees of the stage retracts (the place is a transformer!!) so that it can easily accommodate either a 360, 270 or 180 degree configuration. One half of the screen is in a semi-permanent 180 degree configuration positioned under the large roof trussing array. On the edge of that are two screens per side that slide in to close that portion off on the sides and then other portion (the back if you will) will close up. It's on two massive hidden rail systems in the floor so that it can slide into place. According to the studio manager, they built the entire facility out from scratch in 70 days last fall so it would be ready for a private presentation by the owners which streamed out to 200,000 viewers. The facility cost 30m dollars to build out.

Just some explanation of the photos above. The stage is set up in such a way that 180 degrees of the stage retracts (the place is a transformer!!) so that it can easily accommodate either a 360, 270 or 180 degree configuration. One half of the screen is in a semi-permanent 180 degree configuration positioned under the large roof trussing array. On the edge of that are two screens per side that slide in to close that portion off on the sides and then other portion (the back if you will) will close up. It's on two massive hidden rail systems in the floor so that it can slide into place. According to the studio manager, they built the entire facility out from scratch in 70 days last fall so it would be ready for a private presentation by the owners which streamed out to 200,000 viewers. The facility cost 30m dollars to build out.
Im-par-essive.

Back