Thinking of converting an old Apple G5 computer into Linux/Windows clone

fashion

I've got a spare G5 lying around which is obsolete so i figger instead of throwing it out, why not just recycle it?

Apparently that case is quite a favorite among Wintel users who are converting them now with state of the art PC components.

...anyone here have any idea how this is done and the difficulties that one can encounter?

And what kind of components would you suggest for purchase? Which ones work best together and are most compatible with Windows and Centos/Ubuntuu linux?

Im not a PC user so Im not up to date on what has come out in the past 20 years. I just remember the Pentium 4 that ran with Dell Optiplex way back when. Im even thinking of converting it as well.

Rather than throw away these old computers I figger its better to recycle them.

Is this viable or even worth the bother?
Post your thoughts or prior experiences here.

...And what kind of components would you suggest for purchase? ...
Everything would need replacement, including the motherboard and processor. Windows does not run on PPC processors, unless through sluggish emulation. Don't bother.

There are fewer and fewer linux distributions and applications that support PPC. Don't bother.

Remember that old myth that Macs hold their value longer? That's complete horse feathers. Like every other Mac owner abandoned by Apple's progressive business model, you have an expensive doorstop.

I still have a G4 in my basement, used only as a museum piece. It is started for nostalgia every three years.

Everything would need replacement, including the motherboard and processor. Windows does not run on PPC processors, unless through sluggish emulation. Don't bother.

There are fewer and fewer linux distributions and applications that support PPC. Don't bother.

Remember that old myth that Macs hold their value longer? That's complete horse feathers. Like every other Mac owner abandoned by Apple's progressive business model, you have an expensive doorstop.

I still have a G4 in my basement, used only as a museum piece. It is started for nostalgia every three years.

Thanks for your reply Ray.

I was planning to remove all of the existing internal Apple hardware abd replace it wuth PC compatible to run Windows and Linux.

If it were possible to install a few Hackintosh versions of OS X I'd give it a try.

Essentially this made over computer would have an Apple case but it'd be Wintel inside.

If I really needed an Apple I'd jst buy a silicon Mac Mini.

Btw, this project is more planned in the future perhaps around 2025 when Microsoft drops support for Windows 10 and Linux at least from what I heard drops support for older hardware too.

I wouldn't do it now as both Windows and Mac seem to be in a transition stage. So what they put out today could easily be obsolete in 3 years because neither has a completely solid development roadmap at the moment.

Seems even Wintel there is talk of new processors on the horizon similar to the M1 chip.

Wow! That G5 is definitely not obsolete in my book. I 'wish' I had one right now. Still running LW 9.6 and most of the good plugins I had only worked on PowerPC. None of them updated to Intel. Current machine, even QuickTime is badly crippled right now. Causing me serious headaches. I'm going to search for a G5 when I've got the spare time (and cash) Also need an old G4 MDD for audio recording.

I saw a pile of G5 towers (literally) when I was working for an electronics recycling plant several years ago. All headed for destruction. We weren't allowed to take anything home. (except scrap wood, as that actually cost the company extra money to dispose of) The aluminum cases of the G5s were considered the valuable part. The rest just got sent to be ground up.
But still, I miss plugins like Hyperstars and the free Stars plugin, Saslite and a slew of other plugins I can't remember the names of that never got ported to the Intel versions of Lightwave. When I've got spare cash and spare room there will be a G5 tower here for Lightwave and a G4 MDD for music recording. (virtually latency-free in OS9!)

Last edited:
Back