Spark Plus I/O - full factory reset procedure unclear

mikeydanger

I have a SparkPlus that was used to show livestream output to overflow room (our social hall) every Sunday. For last few months, the image & sound would freeze at some point in the hour-long service and there was nothing to be done but re-boot the device (which didn't solve the problem of freezes during desired presentation).

As directed by Support, I checked all connections, verified network behavior/setup with our IT folks.... and then substituted another SparkPlus I/O in the same spot and it worked just fine.

So Support asked me to perform a full factory reset on the unit with the "freezing" issue, and I have yet to understand if I've performed the reset properly because the instructions for the process are so vague. How long to press reset button to engage the first reset? At what point does user press reset button a second time? I've tried this probably a dozen times and still can't access my unit via browser despite resetting network adapter to the range that should see a reset unit's new default IP address.

Any insight into proper full factory reset procedure and re-establishing IP contact with SparkPlus would be appreciated!

I don't have a Spark Plus to test with here, but asked the clever guys in QA, and found the following (which should apply to all the Spark Plus models):

Selected photo
  • Hold down the reset button, and the LED shown at upper-center above should begin alternating Green and Red
  • After about 10 seconds, release; the LEDs should go blank briefly, then alternate green/red once more.
  • After updating, the LEDs will go dark again (unless the device is set on PRV/PGM, when the LEDs will show solid tally).
  • At this point, the update process should be complete, and you may see activity on the LEDs at right.
Much deviation from this, as for example the absence of alternating red/green, may well indicate a hdwe. problem.

Hope this helps!

Wow.
I'm not sure if it was the length of time you instructed to hold down the reset button (I had never held it longer than 5 seconds) OR that I finally found the default IP address for a factory-reset Spark [which I know now is 192.168.100.168], but after following your instructions from the clever guys in QA, I was finally able to reach my Spark Plus via the browser interface. (y)

The SparkPlus IO Manual says that after one temporarily sets their network adapter to "a static IP address such as 192.168.100.1" with netmask of 255.255.0.0, they can then run Studio Monitor to locate the unit. Well I did set that static IP address, and never saw the Spark as a source in Studio Monitor. It wasn't until I found that post-factory-reset default IP address (and after I performed reset via your instructions) and entered that in the browser that I finally reached the Spark interface.

The 192.168.100.168 address was buried in a long tech support thread I had going all summer (would've been faster process if I was on-site with the TriCaster/NDI system more than 4 hours/week), but I don't understand why that default IP isn't in the Spark Plus IO Manual since it was the only way I could've connected given that it never appeared in Studio Monitor.

Thanks to you and QA for giving me some clue as to the TIMING of the reset presses!

Back