[Solved] Problems with license file

Shloime

Intermediate User
Solution: Follow the instructions in the second post with creating the .bat file.

----

Hello,
I just bought a new computer and installed LW again. I get the license window, but can't find a way to install my license. This is what I tried so far:
- Reload the License.LWK from Newtek
- Drop the file into the window
- Drop the file into the main app
- Copy the file into C:Users/Myname/.Newtek/Lightwave/2018.0.7/licenses
- Deleted the file from that location to try again
- Run and install everything as Admin
- Try all of the above with and without dongle inserted

I do have changed config files and locations, but I tried all of the above with the naked LW app.

I'm running out of ideas... I changed parts of my computer before and never had problems.

Anyone with some advice, please?

Last edited:
Specific error messages may be helpful.

If this is the firewall issue described here, you can create a BAT file to automate repairs. Open a text editor and paste the following inside (adjust installation paths as needed). Save the file as "firewall-fix.bat". Right-click on the newly created file to run it as an administrator.

Code:
echo off
Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2018.0.7\bin\configure.exe" "unset"
timeout /t 3 /nobreak > NUL
Start "" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2018.0.7\bin\configure.exe" "set"

Ok, followed the explanation in the video, made the unset and the set again, but problem stays.
But thanks for the pointer.

First launch without a license in the users folder and dropping the file:

lightwave1.jpg

After dropping the license and restarting:

lightwave2.jpg

As I wrote before, I downloaded the license file from my Newtek account, and it says in some FAQ that the file is not bound to a certain machine.

As an optional dongle user, try installing the LW2020 trial to get the latest dongle drivers. Then run LW2018 again.

OK, I installed the sentinel drivers, and now it is working with dongle inserted. At least I can work now.
So to get it working without dongle will be a task further down the road.
Thanks for your help and your patience.

Sometimes, instead of relying on the drag and drop of the license key onto the UI (it can have permission issues copying to your user folders sometimes).

Try just copying your lightwave.lwk file into your user preferences manually. It's usually found in:
C:\users\[your_username]\.Newtek\LightWave\[LW Version]\Licenses\--->Put file in here<---

Thanks for your help, but that's already in the list of what I did in my first post...

And I did everything raymontrace recommended in his first post with the firewall settings.

Sorry, I must have skimmed that bit, oops!

Did the firewall thing definitely work?
As in, could you see that it successfully applied those settings?
Did you run the command prompt as admin before doing the set, unset?

Actually when I tried it first I went the manual way, and it didn't work.

Now I followed raymondtrace's way step by step, created the bat file and, what do you know, it suddenly works.

I was sure I followed every step before with unsetting, and setting again, with admin rights and all toppings, but something obviously was missing.

Thanks to everyone, problem solved.

Actually when I tried it first I went the manual way, and it didn't work.

Now I followed raymondtrace's way step by step, created the bat file and, what do you know, it suddenly works.

I was sure I followed every step before with unsetting, and setting again, with admin rights and all toppings, but something obviously was missing.

Thanks to everyone, problem solved.
Awesome news! Yay! :)

Back