Single Board Computer options for NDI development

digitalbirdfilm

Hi All
I am very new to NDI deployment and am looking for some advice regarding suitable SBC platform for developing an NDI|XH encoder/sender with PTZ control functionality.
I am currently developing the Digital Bird Camera motion control system an open source project which I would like to add NDI capability.
My first problem is deciding on the best board to use for the project. Should it be Windows or Linux and which would offer the easiest development path!
The system must be capable of 1080p/60 so boards like the Pi4 are out. Small form factor is also important since the board must be capable of being built into the Digital bird PTZ head base so something about the size of the Pi would be ideal.
Currently I am looking at the following boards.
Latte Panda 3 Delta -running windows or Linux

Orange Pi5 with Rockchip RK3588S 8 Core 64bit - Running Linux

KHADAS VIM4 featuring a 2.2GHz quad core ARM Cortex-A73 with HDMI input -Running Linux

Perhaps none of these boards are suitable for one reason or another some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the boards should work well. I don't have direct experience with any of them, but the Rock 5B (same SoC and similar specs to the Orange Pi5) has enough throughput to stream 1080p SpeedHQ (a.k.a. "Full" NDI) from the HDMI input (with software-based encoding!), so using the hard-IP video codec to encode NDI|HX should be a fairly light overall system load. Note the 64-bit DRAM interface on the VIM4 and Orange Pi5 makes them substantially faster than the RPi 4 with it's 32-bit DRAM for video applications where you're pushing a bunch of pixel data around. The additional/faster/more advanced CPU cores helps as well.

Back