Saving Rigs with Python

MarkAH

The Rig Ripper...

The basis of this method is constructing rigs in modeler using skelegons.
I find it much easier than in layout because of layers.
And also due to the possibility of hiding any part of the geometry.
For rigging that requires very accurate location of bones it's the best choice.
Most of my rigged object designs are machines, so my methods are machine oriented.
I prefer using a 'Root' bone even though very little of machine-like rigging involves chained heirarchy.
Sometimes it works fine to have bones parented to the object.
All depends on the nature of the object's actions in animation.

So keep those skelegons, because with this 'system' they are always required.
This replaces the use of scenes for saving the rigging and thus avoids the associated problems.
But it is always good practice to save that scene in which the rigging was finalized.

Because of the requirement of having differently named versions of an object in order to put more than one in a scene,
using the 'Load From Scene' method does not work for multiples.
Although layout enumerates the object name, it does not resolve the conflict of named references in the object itself.

The process with this is to use modeler to save the object as is with a new name, as stated in the documentation.
It's also possible to save some variations of the object, as long as the rig (skelegons) remain the same.
If weight mapping is used, any changes to geometry should be appropriately mapped to the correct skelegons.

After finalizing the rig setup in layout, and establishing any actions between bones with expressions in the graph editor,
use the 'Rig to XML' script to save the setup.

The scripts will save and restore the expressions library, and re-establish the assignments.
However, this depends on giving each expression a name identical to the channel it is assigned to, without the object prefix.
For example, if the channel name is 'Toaster01.Lever.Position.Y' the expression name should be Lever.Position.Y
In this way the script can use the name to assign the expression to 'Toaster02.Lever.Position.Y'.
It also makes it very easy to establish assignments in the case of just loading the expression library from file.

The script will also rename the references to the object in expressions by replacing the original object name, for example 'Toaster01' with the new object name 'Toaster02'
So when the renamed object is loaded from file into layout, running the 'XML to Rig' script will fully set up the rig in an instant.
The 'XML to Rig' script will prompt for the name of the 'source object', which would be the object from which the rig setup was created (sans extension) by 'Rig to XML' script.

They are not plug-ins, and are just run from the 'Python' button in the Utilities tab.

These are really just examples of what can be accomplished.
They are designed for my own style of rig design, but could be extended for other applications.
For example, there is no support for IK, which I never use in machines.

You might notice that the expressions.exp file is loaded, edited and saved back out by the script and then used in the lwsdk.command 'GE_LoadExpressions'
This is because the lwsdk.command 'GE_CreateExpression' crashes layout.
So, do what works. It's the main idea behind these scripts.
The 'MotionPath' global strings in the scripts should be replaced with the path where you want the files to be saved and loaded.

Two caveats:
Scripts and xml files both have vulnerabilities.
If you cannot read and understand both, approach with caution.
I would not deliberately post malicious content but use these at your own risk.
When the xml.etree writes the elements they are not formated for readability so the files should be inspected in an xml editor that can format them.
View attachment 144765

Attachments

• RigRipper.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 360
Pivots Added

I've added pivots to the Rig Ripper because while playing with a variety of models, found that I did Twist and TipMove often enough not to want to have to repeat those either.
There's another utility script added that initializes a rig first brought in from Modeler.
It just locks everything in place, all limits on, records rest, and sets the rotation limits so that each bone can be turned any way exept into gimbal lock.
The curly brackets make it so easy to adjust those that first steps in setup are sped up a lot.
The init script does SkelegonsToBones first off, so you don't have to do that. Just run InitializeRig.
Wish I'd done this a long time ago.View attachment 144768

Attachments

• RigRipper2.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 376
Ready to Run

These scripts are now developed to where they can be tested.
More of the commands that were in the earlier scripts were found to be non-functional.
lwsdk.command 'SelectByName' either does nothing, or adds to the selection, but does not change it.
Not apparent at first when just testing the scripts' ability to set up an object brought in from file.
When testing setup with multiples of the same object under various names (the main purpose of this) 'SelectByName' was not making the named item the selected item.
So further commands were operating on the wrong item.
Whether in Object Edit or Bone Edit mode.
So some work arounds were needed.
Also, it is necessary to give each expression (if used) the full name of the channel, including the object name, so they can be identified as unique expressions in the graph editor.
This can be done quickly by 'right clicking' the target channel then choosing Append to Expression from the context menu, then cutting from Value, and pasting to Name.
Remove the brackets. Then write the expression into Value.
No spaces in names. Sorry, xml does not like it and the Graph Editor does not like it.
I had a model with a space in the name, didn't want to re-rig it so just ran Rig to XML and edited the setup files to replace the space with an underscore throughout.
The renamed the model, loaded it into Layout and ran XML to Rig.
Worked great, then saved the Scene with the renamed model as the new Model_Rigged Scene.
Keep your Skelegons in the model, and keep your rigged models as scenes.
But now it is possible to load multiples of an object (with their unique names) setup the rigs in an instant, an move on with the animation.

View attachment 144773

Attachments

• RigRipper3.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 331
Back