Rendering AVI's to import into iDVD

E-Prods

Has anybody found a good rendering method for transferring .avi files to a mac for use in iDVD? All my avi files seem to be fairly low quality and any clips that I have resized in VT-Edit look blurry..why? Can anybody help. I have a huge project on the table and I can't get past this.

DV Video 1

I used the DV Video 1 Codec. That's what Newtek recommended. They also said to try the DV 2 Codec and see which is better. I feel that iDVD is recompressing the video which is causing a drop in quality.

E-Prods said:
Has anybody found a good rendering method for transferring .avi files to a mac for use in iDVD?
We have used DVD-data disks if the file is small enough or an external hard drive or if you network the two together...
All my avi files seem to be fairly low quality
Where do the files seem to be low quality (which computer, what program)? You should play your avi in the VT & verify the quality there first.
and any clips that I have resized in VT-Edit look blurry..why?
Why are you resizing the clips? Are you making them bigger or smaller? Typically you want to edit in the native format (720x480) and then render in your final format. If you can't do that, render to avi in the native format then use the 3rd party program to render the avi to the final format - Don't degrade size/resolution/frame rate until you have to.
E-Prods said:
I used the DV Video 1 Codec. That's what Newtek recommended. They also said to try the DV 2 Codec and see which is better.
DV type 1 & type 2 should be the same video quality, just that type 1 embeds the audio and type 1 files are not read by all programs.
I feel that iDVD is recompressing the video which is causing a drop in quality.
Well iDVD is recompressing the video - its making it smaller to fit on a DVD Uncompressed video is 1:1, DV video (type 1 or 2) is like 5:1 and DVD video is aboubt 20:1 (my numbers may be a little off, but comparable).

It seems likely that the most significant degradation is happening in the (iDVD) conversion to MPEG2 for the DVD. Losses converting to the DV format intially would be more trivial.

I am not up on iDVD, but you might try to tweak it's MPEG compression serttings, or use a better app to do the MPEG2 conversion and then author the disk with that result, rather than letting iDVD do the compression - if it permits that.

Has anybody found a good rendering method for transferring .avi files to a mac for use in iDVD? All my avi files seem to be fairly low quality and any clips that I have resized in VT-Edit look blurry..why? Can anybody help. I have a huge project on the table and I can't get past this.

iDVD will handle just about any video file for which you have a QuickTime codec. H.264 and MPEG-4 are standard codec of QuickTime. MPEG-2 is the format of video files burned to DVD. Like other DVD authoring app, iDVD does the conversion. AVI is a container format that supports video and audio tracks in several formats. If you have the proper codec for the video and audio tracks such as the MPEG-4 or H.264 codec, then iDVD will handle your AVI video just fine; if not, iDVD will fail to burn the AVI video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back