Render animation as wireframe

xlad

Hi there, I am trying to find a way to render my scene in wireframe mode, but I am unable to find the proper render settings.
Help...?!

LW 2020.0.2

For individual objects:
  • Select your object.
  • Press 'p' to open its properties.
  • Select the Primitive Tab
  • Below that, select the Edges Tab
  • Below that, check the 'Other Edges'

For mutliple objects:
  • Open the Scene Editor
  • Under the Items Tab at the top left of the window, select your objects you want to affect
  • On the window on the right hand side of the Scene Editor, select the Property Tab at the top
  • Directly below the Property Tab, click the grey bar to reveal its choices. Select Object > Edges
  • Using the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the window, scroll the window until you see the column labelled 'Other Edges'
  • Check all the boxes for each object that requires a wireframe look.
Let us know if that helps.

Last edited:
Hi there, I am trying to find a way to render my scene in wireframe mode, but I am unable to find the proper render settings.
Help...?! LW 2020.0.2

In Modeler, go to Edge mode, select everything, copy and paste to the 2nd layer. You have a 2-point poly chain.
In Layout, you can adjust the edge thickness in Object Properties > Primitive > Edge tab ("Particle/Line Thickness").
Dissolve one layer and reverse the Dissolve of the second layer to get the transition between mesh and wireframe.
Use a weight map to Clip/Transparency to get a transition where both layers are on screen.

They will be straight lines.

If you need to look them better i.e. curved get EasySpline http://easyspline.trueart.eu
convert mesh to 2-point spline cage, merge them,
and then use Spline Density tool to increase resolution by e.g. 10 times.
After that wireframe version will be smooth and pretty.

Last edited:
I miss the earlier versions of LW where we would click a button in the Render tab for "Wireframe" or "QuickShade" rendering.

One just need to spend a little time with the edge render properties...

car_xray-jpg.149536

One just need to spend a little time with the edge render properties...

car_xray-jpg.149536
I guess it depends on what type of 'wireframe' render the person is looking to make. If it's a true wireframe render of the model, than it would look quite a bit different. Yours is more of an outline render.

I guess it depends on what type of 'wireframe' render the person is looking to make. If it's a true wireframe render of the model, than it would look quite a bit different.
of course, but you can render it to a True wireframe render at any time, either straight polygonal wireframing with all facets, or subpatch styled.

I used to love render as wireframe because you can use that for an easy permit drawing (for temporary structure permits). Edges takes a bit longer but... meh...

...Funny you mentioned sacrifice. We had to sacrifice LW in its entirety to the corporate gods.
Well, at the risk of treading down an already WELL worn path, I don't think that I'd agree that it was the users who decided to "sacrifice" LightWave.

I believe my personal position on LightWave's situation is well known, so I won't bore anyone here with it. Suffice it to say, that in the right hands it's still a very capable tool and can hold it's own against the competition in many areas. Many businesses, freelancers and indies use it to make money quite successfully, I speak as living proof of that. For me, getting an ROI is what matters. And in that regard LightWave is the gift that still keeps on giving. Therefore I can quite categorically state; there's still life in the old dog left. News from the corporate gods or non.

Well, at the risk of treading down an already WELL worn path, I don't think that I'd agree that it was the users who decided to "sacrifice" LightWave.

I believe my personal position on LightWave's situation is well known, so I won't bore anyone here with it. Suffice it to say, that in the right hands it's still a very capable tool and can hold it's own against the competition in many areas. Many businesses, freelancers and indies use it to make money quite successfully, I speak as living proof of that. For me, getting an ROI is what matters. And in that regard LightWave is the gift that still keeps on giving. Therefore I can quite categorically state; there's still life in the old dog left. News from the corporate gods or non.
Nothing to disagree with. By “we”, I meant that we had to go along for the ride. Not that we initiated it.

I still use LW professionally also and still prefer it to anything that I’m currently learning. But the lack of development keeps me from updating my computer hardware/OS to prevent the app from not functioning properly or at all.

So, nothing to argue with here. Long live LW.

Back