QuickTime crippled in High Sierra. Having trouble creating movies.

Puguglybonehead

OK, I'll confess, I still need to upgrade. Can't afford it right now. Running LW 9.6 on a late 2011 iMac with High Sierra. I can't get Lightwave to create QuickTime files...at all. It just gives me a black screen when I render to it and won't let me choose any compression options. I'm rendering image sequences but I have no way to convert them now. I tried installing QuickTime 7 but when I go to enter my QuickTimePro code, the browser goes to a long dead url. Is there anything, preferably free out there that I can use to convert image files on High Sierra?

Resetting seems extreme, if you still can't activate QT.
If you google QT Pro, there are some YouTube vids explaining how to 'get it for free'.
Seeing as it is retired, I don't see it being an issue.
I have had a license for ever, and always worked when I upgraded the OS.

Have you only recently obtained the license..?
Has it worked before..?
Are you entering all the fields..?

Resetting seems extreme, if you still can't activate QT.
If you google QT Pro, there are some YouTube vids explaining how to 'get it for free'.
Seeing as it is retired, I don't see it being an issue.
I have had a license for ever, and always worked when I upgraded the OS.

Have you only recently obtained the license..?
Has it worked before..?
Are you entering all the fields..?
I got my QuickTimePro key way back in the day when it was 'current.' I've tried running QuickTime 7 on my current setup but there is no way to input my QuickTimePro key now. I just get sent to a url that is no longer active. Older OS's let me input my key offline.

I have always just upgraded the OS or migrated to a new machine, so all apps continue to run.

I'm no Apple user, but surely there must be a video editor available for it that can accept image sequences and render them to another codec.

Or is Apple so restrictive that they only allow QT?

You don't want to render to quicktime at all. Render an image sequence, and then turn it into a video file afterwards, in an editing program. The image sequence will allow you to keep the rendered frames in the event of a crash/power outage and so on. Then you can continue rendering only the frames you still need to finish, not re-render the whole movie over again. You can also look at your completed frames as they are finished, while the render is still ongoing, so you may spot an issue you wish to fix, prior to the whole render going through.

Also Quicktime is mostly defunct at this point. You can render a number of formats to a .mov file, but these days, .mp4, is probably the most compatible to play on just about any device. There may be a better format, but mp4s seem to play by default in just about everything.

Hope that helps.

You don't want to render to quicktime at all. Render an image sequence, and then turn it into a video file afterwards, in an editing program. The image sequence will allow you to keep the rendered frames in the event of a crash/power outage and so on. Then you can continue rendering only the frames you still need to finish, not re-render the whole movie over again. You can also look at your completed frames as they are finished, while the render is still ongoing, so you may spot an issue you wish to fix, prior to the whole render going through.

Also Quicktime is mostly defunct at this point. You can render a number of formats to a .mov file, but these days, .mp4, is probably the most compatible to play on just about any device. There may be a better format, but mp4s seem to play by default in just about everything.

Hope that helps.
I was in the practice of rendering image sequences and then converting them. I used to do this in either QuickTime Pro or Lightwave itself. I hadn't touched Lightwave much in a number of years and just kind of expected that things would still work as they should on my 2011 iMac or my MacBook Air. It all worked on a Core2Duo machine and of course on PowerPC machines. Oh well, I don't use Lightwave for a living so I can't justify upgrading to the new version or buying a new Mac. Guess I'll go shopping for an old G5 or G4 when I have some spare time and a few spare bucks. I just got rid of of a G4 mini and a Core2Duo MacBook when cleaning house due to an emergency last spring. Guess I kept the wrong machines.

Last edited:
I was in the practice of rendering image sequences and then converting them. I used to do this in either QuickTime Pro or Lightwave itself. I hadn't touched Lightwave much in a number of years and just kind of expected that things would still work as they should on my 2011 iMac or my MacBook Air. It all worked on a Core2Duo machine and of course on PowerPC machines. Oh well, I don't use Lightwave for a living so I can't justify upgrading to the new version or buying a new Mac. Guess I'll go shopping for an old G5 or G4 when I have some spare time and a few spare bucks. I just got rid of of a G4 mini and a Core2Duo MacBook when cleaning house due to an emergency last spring. Guess I kept the wrong machines.
Why can´t you just install free Davinci Resolve? surely someone must have adviced you on that?
add your images sequences to the scene, go to deliver tab and render out to whatever videoformat you need.
Limits are however at 4k resolution, in which case you need to get the pro version.
With Davinci Resolve you also get the Fusion module, when you need more advanced compositing and effects.

Another free tool is to use blender..

For Quicktime, surely there must be free quicktime versions and codecs available, you need the codecs installed and recognized within lightwave in order to render it out properly.
Though, you are on a Mac, so not sure there..One would think that it shouldn´t be an issue.
Quicktime can be nice in the sense that you can scroll the video back and forth nicely without loosing frames, unlike mp4, mpg in regular players, but if you use davinci resolve, you can just scroll back and forth nicely as well within that on simple image sequences.

Last edited:
Quicktime drivers should be installed as standard with the OS, as you say @prometheus .
Then LW would see the codecs.

The OP being on High Sierra, may struggle with Davinci, unless you can get older versions.
The latest version needs a newer version of MacOS.

This is the first I've heard of Davinci Resolve. That looks like a fantastic app! The sound editing alone looks amazing. Probably the coolest free app giveaway since free ProTools. Unfortunately it's only for 10.15 and up so it won't run on my Mac. I seem to have two machines that were from this hinterland time period where nothing Apple was backward compatible enough to work and QuickTime had too many of it's functions amputated. Guess I can mess with Blender for the time being. Still not a fan of its interface.

This is the first I've heard of Davinci Resolve. That looks like a fantastic app! The sound editing alone looks amazing. Probably the coolest free app giveaway since free ProTools. Unfortunately it's only for 10.15 and up so it won't run on my Mac. I seem to have two machines that were from this hinterland time period where nothing Apple was backward compatible enough to work and QuickTime had too many of it's functions amputated. Guess I can mess with Blender for the time being. Still not a fan of its interface.
Invest in a pc and get rid of these obstacles, and you will also get access to plugins for lightwave not available in the Mac platform and other stuff along with it.
use mac for things it otherwise does good, but don´t rely on it.

Or ..use blender to convert the image sequences as I linked with the video, if mac has an issue with that too, then you have an issue with a platform you can´t rely on.
Edit..or try the suggestions by Markc.

Davinci resolve is sweet, fast to edit and scrub videos back and forth, it has limited filters though which requires pro versions, generally for some stuff I would prefer Adobe premiere and after effects, easier to replace clips, save out to gif anims, text preset animations etc, but when the economics are tough today, and a prescription renewal would cost me too much, I decided to end the Adobe Prescription and go for the Free davinci resolve version for now at least.

Fusion is the module you switch to for doing more advanced stuff with masking, tracking, vector animation and much much more, similar to after effects, while the davinci resolve module is similar to adobe premier for editing, color grading, simpler titling etc.

Last edited:
Back