Publish Queue 'like' functionality in TC2 Elite

cspacone

We recently received a new TC2 Elite and I'm going through the steps to make the new one look and act as much like the old one. We have students (and course materials written) as well as downstream workflows for file processing.

Basically we set a file location in the selected session and launch live production. The student hits the record button on the toolbar and manipulates the camera shot using an XKeys stick. When the student is done they hit the record button again, which stops the capture and hands the material off to the 'publish queue' where the file is deposited to a watch folder on the NAS.

In the new TC2-Elite I don't see anything that appears to give me this type of functionality. I'm going through the manual (I tend to do stuff like that, but I also like to stab around at the UI) and I can't seem to find any functionality like that either.

Puzzled.

-Chris

This is interesting, thanks for posting. Record doesn't have any 'native' hooks to Publish, and to my knowledge never has ... so maybe your prior workflow relied on a macro? But two things come to mind. First, "Publish" became "Export", so that might be your missing link. Apart from that, though, your query falling on the heels of another 'Automation' topic gives me an idea for a feature. :)

You can use instant replay function to accomplish this. Before you stop recording, perform a replay event to load the current recording into a DDR. Then clear the in/out points to get the entire clip. Then you can publish the clip to the export tool.

You will need to put some time between each event, so it completes before the next macro command.

You can use instant replay function to accomplish this. Before you stop recording, perform a replay event to load the current recording into a DDR. Then clear the in/out points to get the entire clip. Then you can publish the clip to the export tool.

You will need to put some time between each event, so it completes before the next macro command.
Kane,

I thank you for your prompt response! This sounds extraordinarily complicated.

Can I record directly into a watch folder on the NAS? If so I may be able to engage the asset management system vendor in an attempt to adjust the watch folder monitoring criteria to detect when the recording has completed.

-Chris

---

TLDR version;

Perhaps I should take a moment to explain what the old 460 was doing.

We create a template for each semester, the one this narrative refers to is FALL 2023. A student, upon coming in to Studio A will select a template that is relevant to thier work. Today that template is quite general. LAter this year we intend to make it specific to the class they are enrolled in. This will mean several templates with discrete storage locations that are monitored by the asset management system.

Once the session is loaded the student then selects start live production. The TriCaster initializes and drops into the GUI.

From here the student clicks on the record button-

record button.jpg

That kicks off the record process and from here the student intereacts with the TriCaster by using an XKeys stick programmed for several camera shots. Once the student has finished thier assignment they hit the record button again, stopping the process.

From here the rest appears to be automatic and not under any form of macro control. To me it looks like native cpability in the TriCaster UI, proper.

Looking at the UI and clicking File reveals two 'publish' options, one where the destination is set and the other exposing a queue of files waiting to be dumped into a watch folder on the NAS.

file-publish.jpg

In the Windows subsystem below the TriCaster application we have mapped a local drive letter to the storage location on the network-

file-publish destinations.jpg

In this caase Y:\ maps to \\NAS-FQDN-GOES-HERE\media\private\transcode This location is being watched by our asset management system and based upon some as yet unknown by me criteria (I'm guessing file growth over time ceasing) the asset management system grabs the file and 'does its thing'.

file-publish queue.jpg

Clicking on file\publish queue shows the state of the current file transfer off the TriCaster and onto the NAS.

My main point is that the student interaction with the system is absolutley minimal, consisting of only selecting the proper template at the start and hitting the record / stop button on the GUI.

I need to maintain that level of abstraction, we are a small support team (3 of us) and 300 students. Training all of them to do the steps you outlined seems like a heavy lift.

Back