NDI Bridge - NDI HX encoder not work

This morning I´ve heard during some ´business´ NDI/Tricaster talks with a client of mine some tools from current NDI 5.6.0.0 may not feel so well with WIN11 as on WIN10, while obviously an earlier 5.5.x build did do as expected for these their issue(s) with 5.6.0.0 on WIN11.
If so, I guess upcoming, already anounced, NDI Tools 6 will take care of this topic, if there is/are indeed issues on WIN11 vs. WIN10.

Last edited:
I haven't worked with Bridge yet... There are no CPU or QSV modes supported? That's really going to change what I was planning and may need to build a dedicated NDI Bridge server, I have it set up in a VM, but there is no graphics card attached and the Xeon processor doesn't have built in graphics.

This is a strange glitch that has been on my platform for a long time.If the encoder is faulty, then Screen Capture HX won't work, but Screen Capture HX works fine.

cpu: amd threadropper
gpu: amd w5700 x2 & amd wx8200
NDI kit: 5.x

Hope to get some help.

View attachment 156475
I got similar issue on 2 instances:

google cloud windows server 2019 with Tesla T4

google cloud windows server 2022 with Tesla L4

1699117507435.png

I thinkg NDI Bridge is not mature for using...

NDI support suggest me to install HEVC plugin...from microsoft store...on a Windows Server system...

Windows store on many enterprise systems is not available (like LTSC or just from security policy), this is not a solution. Surprised they aren't just using FFMPEG, end user would probably need to install it, but that would at least be a solution.

Is it possible that Windows Server is just not a good platform for Bridge? Do we need to run it on Windows 10/11 in order to make everything work? That would be sad, this really is a server function not a desktop function.

Is there a different driver you can use with the Tesla cards to get different video performance? From the marketing info, the L4 card seems like it should have had all the NVENC codecs included.

I just fired mine up, looks like I need to make a different plan... It will not drop back to CPU encoding, you require a graphics card that is supported. I'll have to build a standalone machine for this when I get a little farther down the road. And I'll probably build it on Win10/11. This might be why equipment like our Ross Xpression and Ross Tria, and Avid Airspeed before them were built on a desktop OS. Cost for a server OS license on Xpression is not a factor, what's $200 more on a $50000 purchase, there must be a reason to use a desktop OS for this.

Windows store on many enterprise systems is not available (like LTSC or just from security policy), this is not a solution. Surprised they aren't just using FFMPEG, end user would probably need to install it, but that would at least be a solution.

Is it possible that Windows Server is just not a good platform for Bridge? Do we need to run it on Windows 10/11 in order to make everything work? That would be sad, this really is a server function not a desktop function.

Is there a different driver you can use with the Tesla cards to get different video performance? From the marketing info, the L4 card seems like it should have had all the NVENC codecs included.

I just fired mine up, looks like I need to make a different plan... It will not drop back to CPU encoding, you require a graphics card that is supported. I'll have to build a standalone machine for this when I get a little farther down the road. And I'll probably build it on Win10/11. This might be why equipment like our Ross Xpression and Ross Tria, and Avid Airspeed before them were built on a desktop OS. Cost for a server OS license on Xpression is not a factor, what's $200 more on a $50000 purchase, there must be a reason to use a desktop OS for this.
on Google Cloud there are only windows server platform...

BTW....why is NDI bridge not available for linux?!?

to install it, but that would at least be a solution.

I found a reddit thread that might allow grabbing this without access to the store... I did scan these files with Defender and they seem to be OK, but that is not a stamp of approval.
Getting this codec installed might be the next challenge.
on windows server 2022 I installed the HEVC plugin by hand (the one from the store) but NDI Bridge still doesn't work...

This morning I´ve heard during some ´business´ NDI/Tricaster talks with a client of mine some tools from current NDI 5.6.0.0 may not feel so well with WIN11 as on WIN10, while obviously an earlier 5.5.x build did do as expected for these their issue(s) with 5.6.0.0 on WIN11.
If so, I guess upcoming, already anounced, NDI Tools 6 will take care of this topic, if there is/are indeed issues on WIN11 vs. WIN10.
It took a while, but Frank was right 😉

Last edited:
Back