Moving video across the screen?

jamestownhodag

Editing is my life...ugh.
Making a "Wild Ad" like a car or furniture ad.

I do basic editing with speededit and tricaster pro. Now I want to know how to do the wild car and furniture ads. You know the ones, with flying DVEs and flying CG. How do you do this in speededit? In Tricaster Pro I found that I can make CG and "Stills" fly up/down right/left in "Edit Text". My car club wants me to make ad like those "wild car ads" So I need a little help on how to make them fly up/down and all around. thanks. Do they make a video or book with all these kinds of requests yet? I would buy one or the whole series. thanks.

Last edited:
There is a book - the SpeedEdit manual - and Steve has summarized it pretty well, it's basically the same as flying text around.

You'll want to use the positioner panel within the control tree. From that view you can scale, rotate, flip, move, blur, crop, etc. at different key frames, and SpeedEdit will animate the movement between them.

The "Edit Media" module in current TriCaster software is a simplified form of SpeedEDIT. Notably, while Edit Media has a Positioner that is fairly similar to the one in SpeedEDIT, it lacks SpeedEDITs powerful spline graph editor, which provides more elaborate motion control. That aside, the process is much the same for either SpeedEDIT or Edit Media, and there is no real difference in the setup whether you are handling stills or clips.

I'm curious how you stack videos one after the other (from left to right) and then gradually slide them all across the screen as one long ribbon of connected video. Essentially, like having multiple video monitors side by side, and then having a video camera sweep across them all.

That was neat, thanks for sharing. Is there a way to do this in SE2 using multiple video clips?

Oh, I expect it could be done - the trick would be doing it elegantly. Suppose you build a horizontally tile-able graphic of one filmstrip frame, laid it over the clip stretched to full clip duration, then scaled the clip down to fit the frame. Then, you could make those two elements a sub-project (mute the audio). Scale the sub-project down to say, 10%. Ctrl + drag it to the right to create a copy on the timeline. Use positioner tools to place them side by side on the screen, rinse and repeat. There are varations, but that's a starting point ...

Ah, sweet memories. After I watched your clip, I gazed fondly at the two Amiga Video Toaster Flyers (and other assorted Amiga and VT equipment) we have sitting in our office.

I miss my Toaster 4000. I mean, I have it somewhere... but tucked away out of sight, I'm sure.

For the video pan, I was thinking about a full screen slide. One full screen slides off, while another slides into it's place... and then another, and then another... always moving... maybe 7 or 8 screens, and then looping the sequence. It can be done awkwardly by creating key frames for each video. But often times it's really tricky to get them to all move at the exact same rate of speed.

I would give them all identical motion using the ToolShed, then simply add progessive multiples of an appropriate offset to start/end positions.

Back