LW/VT3 limitations

nevmoor

knowledge seeker
VTs LW plugin compatability

I guess this is the place to post this question.
I have recently found out that all LW plugins wont work with the VT3or4 bundled version of LW8. I would like to know what plug ins these are as I was thinking of using LW far more extensively than just with VT. Does anyone have a list of good/bad plugins for this situation??
I know the crossgrade is cheaper than a stand alone, but if I know that I need certain plugins to accomplish what I'm doing in the first place I could do it all at once instead of finding out later.

Thanks to all you guys out there!! Reading the posts here has saved me from going down a few dead end roads!!! Because of all of your helpful comments I have gotten a clear picture of the advantanges and disadvantages of VT(x) and other systems.I feel very comfortable in trying to pursue a system for my church. :D

Last edited:
There are a few expensive plug-ins (FPrime, Sasquatch, and others) that look to the LightWave USB dongle as a registration key. Those plug-ins won't work on VT[4], since LightWave 7.5 or 8 is instead dongled to the VT card. That's about it.

DARN!! Those are a couple of programs I actually want to use, especially Fprime. I have researched it and it seems to do a lot on the renderside. Any thing comparable to FP and Sas that's usable as is? So there is currently no way to get the VT dongle to work for these programs?? How much more does it cost to get a full LW version if you get a VT4??

Last edited:
Truly, if you EVER plan to get serious about 3D, get a standalone version. Depending on who you talk to, it's the cost of an upgrade; they take into consideration the fact that you have VTLW.
This is what I did almost 3 weeks after I got VT1. And it's been one of the better investments.

Thanks for your input. So you got the full version at the upgrade price?

I guess thats kinda fair. I just dont understand why the VT "dongle" doesnt work.

nevmoor said:
I guess thats kinda fair. I just dont understand why the VT "dongle" doesnt work.
Paul Lara may correct me on this but the problem is something to do with the VT card generated dongle ID being the same for every single VT card, so third party plugin writers cannot issue an unique authorisation code to every VT version of LW as is required to copy protect their plugins.

The plugins that I own that would be affected by the problem include : Sasquatch, G2, Taft Suite, Polk Suite, FPrime, (basically, anything produced by Worley Labs) Vertibevel, HD_Instance, Napalm, and Tree-Druid (and any other Dynamic Realities plugin, I don't have them all) . I think some of the other Happy Digital plugins are also affected. Not all of these are expensive, none are absolutely essential...but anyone attempting to remove Sasquatch, FPrime and Vertibevel from my computer will find themselves in deep trouble :D

But me thinks it feels like you are getting a light version of LW when it
cant work with some of the biggest plugins out there.

Cant LW crew bridge this issue? You guys have kurt now.
Maybe he can redirect the code to use a toaster number.

Bob

WOW I should not type a message until I get some coffee in me :rolleyes:

Kirk is who I am thinking of. I hope he is doing well. I expect some
big things from him.

Kirk if you are listening GO man GO!!

Bob

Having recently spent $4000 on the VT[4], I am a bit disappointed in this too. I wasn't aware at time of purchase that I would not be able to use some of the truly good plug-ins for the Lightwave because I bought the bigger package. I had plans to someday get standalone so that I might work on a laptop when I have to, but not to get the full functionality out fo the product.

I am also a little disgruntled about not getting 8.2 like any other Lightwave user.

Is there any ETA for when 8.2 will be available on the toaster? I would really like to start using some of the benefits and cannot afford a standalone right now.

I gave in and bought a seperate copy of lightwave so that I can use FPrime and other Plug-ins as well as use it on my laptop when needed. But it has brought me to wonder, why don't we toaster users simply get a dongle instead of tying Lightwave to the toaster? I know that the Toaster was the original dongle and it has been the way it always has been. But I don't see the sense of it anymore. It makes for double work on NT's part. They have to update two different versions of lightwave every time they up date, etc. Why not just ship a Lightwave dongle with the Toaster and send one to all current Toaster owners for the version of the Toaster that they have?

From my view of it, aside from the cost of the dongles, it solves all issues.

Shawn M. Smith

I can run sucefuly the poser pro pack pluggins for lightwave in lw75 bundled with VT3, renaming the lightwave exec file named lw.exe to lightwav.exe.

You can try this.

eduardbm said:
I can run sucefuly the poser pro pack pluggins for lightwave in lw75 bundled with VT3, renaming the lightwave exec file named lw.exe to lightwav.exe.

You can try this.

Don't even know that one. The ones that I am worried about are the ones that check for a dongle and can't run with the toaster because of the toaster is the dongle. This includes all of worley's plugs like FPrime and Sasquatch. Two major plug-ins for Lightwave.

Count me in the disgruntlement. Now here's the irony of the whole situation. I do have a standalone LW7 seat, along with 2 VT4 seats with LW8. I cant get fprime for my lw8 seats and I can't tie my lw8 seats to my dongle. Crazy huh?

Back