Lightwave 2019 and Mac OS Catalina

Akeron

Is anyone running this? I haven't found information to see if there's any compatibility issues. Also, if anyone has the 2019 Mac Pro I'd love to hear your thoughts on VPR, AMD cards, rendering times, 4k displays etc

thanks

Ak

Is anyone running this? I haven't found information to see if there's any compatibility issues. Also, if anyone has the 2019 Mac Pro I'd love to hear your thoughts on VPR, AMD cards, rendering times, 4k displays etc

thanks

Ak

I just received my 2019 Mac Pro and it seems to be ok. The first launch was goofy, but I believe that was because I was copying over my backup data at the same time and it probably wonked out trying to create the directories in the Library folder. I got the 16-core and it runs 4-6x as fast as my old tower which was a i7 4770K hackintosh. I opted for the 580x since I want to see how the WX5700 is going to fair against the Vega IIs. The 580x is noticeably slower than the 1080ti in my hackintosh.

The hack was end of line though, since nViida drivers do not work past High Sierra. It would be super fantastic if nVidia did an about face and decided to support OS X again.

I have no idea how it behaves when you try and quit. LW layout crashes almost every time on my hack and my work laptop after doing stuff; and trying to quit.

Interesting. How do you think your hackintosh compares to the old 2013 MacPro? I think I'm getting the vega on mine and probably the same 16 core option

Thanks for the reply! Hoping to hear more soon

Edit: Sorry, what kind of screen(s) you got? any advice?

Thanks for posting this. Glad to see an objective report on the new Mac Pro regarding 3D/Lightwave.

I'm quite sure I'll be heading in this general direction but I am waiting for a few reasons. I'm quite interested to see if all (or how many) of these companies that Apple posted at the Mac Pro presentation are really going to make a mac savy / metal native version of their stuff (SideFX, Otoy, Reshift etc). I have personally been quite happy with my 2013 mac but with the 3D industry so skewed to CUDA it'll be nice if Apple really heavily supports Metal and turns this back into a competitive GPU scene. If apple really REALLY supported these companies (they certainly have the means) and got Metal support up to snuff, it'd be a no brainer for me, but that Vega card seems like a bit of a waste if they don't follow through. Octane X seems to be on the verge of a release announcement, so thats a good sign at least.

well.... just ordered mine. 16 core. 48ram vega ii.

arrives in about a week so will let you guys know. I need it for other stuff I do as well, but hoping Newtek pays a little more attention to LW Mac.

Right now I am just running a Dell 38" Ultrawide display; 3840x1600. This monitor has really turned out to be a good buy; I have 3 computers hooked up and can switch between them all and have a single keyboard/mouse/USB audio interface auto switch between them.

CPU wise I think the 2013 MacPro would handily beat my hackintosh, but the 1080ti GPU completely destroys the D700s.

It is good to realize that the 4770K is a very old CPU; so the MacPro for me is a incredible leap in performance.

Arges1337 I will be very interested in how VPR works with the VegaII driving the geometry. The 580x is noticeably not great.

Seems that my test scene was about:
2 min 7 seconds on a 2013 Mac Pro (6core 3.5)
1 min 30 seconds on an i9 imac
and 45 seconds on a 2019 Mac Pro 16 core

VPR on the 2013 was about 1 minute (dual 500s)
VPR on the 2019 about 29 seconds. Vega II 32

As a side note... for you folding at home fans, I am doing about 400K (500k max) points a day on project 14402 on the 2019 while the 2013 is doing only about 80K on project 14241.

Seems that my test scene was about:
2 min 7 seconds on a 2013 Mac Pro (6core 3.5)
1 min 30 seconds on an i9 imac
and 45 seconds on a 2019 Mac Pro 16 core

VPR on the 2013 was about 1 minute (dual 500s)
VPR on the 2019 about 29 seconds. Vega II 32

As a side note... for you folding at home fans, I am doing about 400K (500k max) points a day on project 14402 on the 2019 while the 2013 is doing only about 80K on project 14241.

How is the VegaII in layout in the viewports?

Catalina first day...16" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4.

Several issues with a number of migrated applications including LW 2018. Apparently layout and modeler are not communicating following a simple object sent to layout.
Saved and closed both. Reopened layout, punched the modeler button. Modeler then crashes repeatedly whether layout being open or not. Best guess is Hub isn't working well,
and/or just need to do a new install. That said, rendering time ought to rock?

Several issues with a number of migrated applications including LW 2018. Apparently layout and modeler are not communicating following a simple object sent to layout.

Were you ever able to resolve your issues running LW 2018 on Catalina?

I am thinking about ordering a 2020 10-core iMac (I have a 2011 iMac stuck at High Sierra). I don't want to wait for Apple silicon because I can't afford upgrading from LW 2018. If there were issues with Catalina, I can only assume that Big Sur will pose even more challenges running LW 2018 (even though the software is only 2.5 years old?).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am also interested in iMac 2020 with light wave 2018. I am will not wait for Apple chips. I can afford to upgrade all my applications . Please update us when you have chance.
Thanks

Sorry for bringing old topic, but I recently tried to instal LW 2019 on Catalina and installer won't even run. I'm getting this message. same with LW 2020, thought 2018 version installed just fine, and everything seems to be working. Does anyone knows why I can't run 2019 installer under Catalina on 2019 16" MacBook Pro?
p.s. I have hackintosh at my work with Mojave and able to run 2018-2020 lw versions , but 2015 have issues with icons.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 18.28.59.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 18.28.59.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
No clue... maybe you have some plugin or something related to LW that is running or listening for LW to do something? Try a safe mode boot and try to uninstall and then install again? that's off the top of my head since I haven't seen this message before

Akeron , thank you for reply! I thought the same think at first , it's look like some app is running on the back, which won't let me run installer, but I took a look in the Activity Monitor under Utilities and couldn't find any related LW stuff. I will to try your suggestion latter I guess , after I finish current project.

You shouldn't need to uninstall a build.
I have every build of 2018/2019/2020 installed and can run any.

Is the NRC for LightWave running...?

Markc, that actually did it))) I totally forgot about net rendering . As soon as process was terminated via Activity Monitor I was able to install Lightwave 3D 2020. Thank you very much !!!

Back