Interactive Forcefield Effect

Firestar3D

:lwicon:

Hey all,

I'm trying to set up a surface in LW that is able to react based upon whether a polygon is intersecting with it or not. Think of Homeworld 2's Hyperspace square, and what you see on the back end as a mesh passes through it.

Is there any way to do this with nodes?

Another effect I'm looking to achieve is to simulate a burn-in effect, similar to that you see when a bright object flashes across your vision. I need it to be the same shape as the object it is meant to represent so lens flares are out. Is there any way to simulate this using surfacing?

The effects don't need to be top-level quality, as I intend to take the resulting effects, break them out into several compositions, and then reconstruct them in Fusion.

Cheers,

Never seen Homeworld, let alone 2, but if what you want is what I see in my head , that sounds very do-able. I'll have a play tomorrow. Not sure what you mean by a burn-in effect, got pics?

use to play Homeworld...(Awesome games they where, Cataclysm was great ) and know what you are describing, like the force field effect from star trek voyager in a sense but flat..

I think I saw that done a couple years ago.. just don't remember, artstation, or was it devianart, I think it was Devianart web site..

Mike

This the kind of thing you're after?

[[VIDEO LINK]]

Nice simple nodes:

View attachment 131340

Here's the scene:

View attachment 131341

You'll need ee_grit node and db&w free tools

Have fun!

This looks exactly like what I was looking for to achieve the first part. It's something I can build on at any rate.

There is the problem of the grit node not downloading... The link points to Newtek's site, but the link they provide times out. I'll see if I can find it via search engine.

I'll also see if I can post an example of the second effect I'm trying to achieve later.

You can achieve this with any AO node, (the IFW2 one works best, so a good reason to buy Richard's texture pack ;) ), you'll need to play around with settings and connections, but the basic principle is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome looking... wow that was quick.. Oh I need to learn nodes ....

Yup! :D

You can achieve this with any AO node, (the IFW2 one works best, so a good reason to buy Richard's texture pack ;) ), you'll need to play around with settings and connections, but the basic principle is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup! :D

So any AO node, would replace the grit node correct??

Added the 64 ee_grit node

Mike

Attachments

• ee_gritnode_x64.zip
    42.3 KB · Views: 324
Back