How would you model this: Electrical Plug

SA9R

This turned out to be more difficult than I had expected. The model's shape is still not exactly what is pictured, but it will work fine for the intended use. How would you go about getting the exact shape? It has the basic 2D shape at the end of the plug. It moves outward. It is rounded. And then it uses a curved taper into a box shape. 0_o...

upload picture

1. Model the plug's large-end shape in 2D ( a box and a half disk up top).
2. Use Multishift to extrude the polygons to about 2/3rds the length of the plug.
3. Select the other end of the plug shape that was made with Multishift and use Multishift to bevel it inward multiple times of the same amount of inset until there is no more room, about 5(?) bevel insets.
4. Select the inner most bevel and then use the Expand Selection to select all but the outermost polygon bevel.
5. Use the Move tool to move the polygons out further in the direction of their normals. Then Contract Selection, Move the polygons about twice as far out. And repeat until all the bevels are pulled outward and form a nice curved taper.
6. Select the points of the horizontal lines of the object at the convex and concave parts of the object and use the Rounder tool to make smooth transitions between the two connecting surfaces.
7. Select the polygons for the back shape of the object and use Multishift to bevel the edge.
8. Clean up the polygons that had points that overshoot each other during the Multishift.
9. The other shapes are more straightforward, so I will not explain those for the metal prongs and cord.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think for the type b encloure moulding, I'd most likely use spline patching to build it since it's quite a complicated shape.

Not that complex to model, could be done with box modeling, and as erikals mentioned, make the main shape, add side bulge, work in subpatch mode, maybe use weighted edges, or add enough edge loops on the smoother transitions between forms.

Nice work Chunder.

Are there "subpatch weights" for Catmull Clark subdivisions? I noticed that the regular subpatch weights only work with the regular subpatches...

Nice work Chunder.

Are there "subpatch weights" for Catmull Clark subdivisions? I noticed that the regular subpatch weights only work with the regular subpatches...

CC is not using weightmaps, but edge weight, go to detail tab/edges/more, set cc sharpness, 100% for full sharp edge.
if you want 50%, instead, you run the set cc sharpness again, with that value, increase and decrease is performing a step decreasement up and down each time you click it, exactly how much I do not know though.

ctrl-d to freeze catmull clark or other subpatch for that matter, resolution will be to that catmull clark level that is set in general options for catmull clark level, so you can increase mesh density there or lower, if you want to add more polys to work with.

Last edited:
Edge weights for CC. Good to know, and about the freeze resolution in general options. CC seems to freeze to a very high resolution by default.

Edge weights for CC. Good to know, and about the freeze resolution in general options. CC seems to freeze to a very high resolution by default.

I think default may be at 3, lower to 2 for a more acceptable resolution ( in most cases to avoid too dense meshes)
Too tired to make a resolution dummy.
But if you are wide awake, just make a box, subpatch it in CC mode, but first set general options for it to 1 for cc levels, ctrl-d freeze it, print screen ( gadget printscreen to save it aoutomaticly to disc)
Undo, raise cc level to 2, ctrl-d freeze it, print screen that level, undo and then repeat for level 3,4 and 5.
Combine the images later for a dummy guide. :D

I made a hacky CC one. Might give some ideas.
View attachment 155208View attachment 155210

Prefect!
(or close.)

tJGL61i.png

...okay, I made it back to this and had a try with the modeling again. As it happened, I used a different reference image:

private image hosting

And the model turned out like this:

The basic form was modeled with True Art Spline plug-ins. The spline extrude, make 2-pt spline, smooth, move and patch functions were indispensable. Lightwave's knife tool did not work with splines but the divide tool did essentially the same thing. Just move the points to where you would have used the knife tool afterward. Lightwave's make poly, multishift and chamfer tools were used on the polygons after the splines were patched.

I wish True Art's spline plug-in included a blend function with concave/convex controls. Since it does not have that function, it must be difficult code to write.

Splines were essential to being able to get the correct concave-to-convex changes in the tapered part of the model, which was the section of geometry that had me miffed about how to model the object in the first place. It is really a complex mesh to generate because it has convex/concave undulation, it tapers and it changes its target shape at the other end of the taper. There are also the rounded edges throughout. It seems like one of those shapes that just would not be modeled without spline modeling tools. It makes for an interesting mesh. With a mesh, it can be 3d printed instead of molded.

Last edited:
you could have patched those splines with free a plugin called cm loft ..carl merrit's plugin.

but first use free true fillet first on polyshapes..convert its edges to splines.

may not even have been necessary at all to spline convert..just cm loft the poly cross sections.

Back